Author Topic: Hacker Martin Stamp vs Signature  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Cory McArtor

Hacker Martin Stamp vs Signature
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:16:08 PM »
I recently saw a flintlock pistol attributed to Hacker Martin for sale. The top flat of the barrel has his name stamped into the metal. I've got no experience in this sort of thing. Do you all know if it was common for Hacker Martin rifles and pistols to be stamped rather than signed?  Thanks, Cory.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Hacker Martin Stamp vs Signature
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »
 8) 8).... Cory, ... Only signed guns by Hacker Martin that I have seen were hand engraved .... not saying he didn't stamp some ,.... post  pic of the signature if you have one ... I have a pistol that two of his associates have authenticated .... is not marked ... they say that Hacker did not sign the ones he made for Turner Kirkland to sell, ... only signed the ones he sold to individuals .... fine engraving on this one is thought to be by Lester Smith, who worked with Hacker in the early 1950's .... 

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 09:03:02 PM »
 ;) ;)... Just did a "bing" search on the old net,.... check it out ... several pix under "images" of his work.... he did have a small stamp that he marked locks with, and found one pic of a pistol with this stamp on barrel ..... anything possible ... !!! .... Regards, C C Fiddler ....

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:13:22 PM »
There was an unsigned Hacker Martin pistol in a local gunshop here that was going to be consigned.  Every week I would stop
and ask if they had priced it and were ready to sell.  After about 2 months, I went in and it was gone.  Apparently the attorney
handling the estate that was going to sell them recalled it and it never went for sale.  He wasn't the greatest gunsmith of all
time but he was good and his story is great.  Oh well.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:36:25 PM »
An old friend who buys up all types of guns from estates, to resell at gun shows, got one of Hacker’s rifles in a package deal. It was in rough shape, and had been shot a lot. The barrel was stamped Hacker Martin. After hearing so much about Hacker, I was quite disappointed in his work in the flesh. I guess we are all spoiled from seeing high end art guns in the flesh, and in magazines.

Hungry Horse

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 03:27:13 AM »
Posted this on abother thread.
May be a good thing to check under the barrel of some of the later pieces?

I found this statement on the net from an anonymous contributor. ....
"I knew Mr Martin at the end of his life in Appomattox Va.He worked with Robert Carr. Robert finished his orders when he passed on. Mr. Carr signed these guns under the barrel.Mr. Martin's tools were sold for scrap ,Including the buffalo head"

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:50:02 PM »
Sold as scrap, so sad.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 07:01:49 PM »
 :( :( :(......  Back in the '70's nobody cared for blacksmith tools .... I bought my first anvil at a farm auction here in Tennessee for $35 ... 120lb Columbian in great shape .... wish I had some of the tools I passed-up on .... ::) ::) ::) ....