Author Topic: Old horns  (Read 2929 times)

Offline B.Barker

Old horns
« on: February 05, 2018, 05:28:07 AM »
Here are some originals that I've picked up over the years.

how to upload images to the internet

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Old horns
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:54:44 AM »
Sweet!  I dig those hand-cut threads on that finial!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 02:37:52 PM »
Those are some nice old ones, Brian. Thanks for letting us have a look at them.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 03:14:37 PM »
 Great horns B. I really like the second one down with collar, is that the one that has the threaded base?

Tim   

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:23:10 PM »
Really like the top and third horns. I think I just found the models for my next two horns.
Psalms 144

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 11:55:57 PM »
 8) 8) 8)... I like the old horns too, Brian .... my everyday horn has been in my family 150+ years .... I particularly like the twisty one with the "collar" ... All are nice horns, too ... Regards, ... C C Fiddler ....

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:49:31 AM »
I like that fat two-tone one at the bottom.  It almost looks like a bison horn, but for the color.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 06:17:14 AM »
Tim, yes the one with the collar is the one with the threaded plug. The plug is made from a piece of horn and the collar was carved from the horn. This horn also has a name and date on it also, think its 1828. I think you seen it at a show Tim.

The bottom horn actually is my daughters. She had the high bid in the silent auction at the CLA several years back. It has a date too I believe with really nice engraving of ships around the base.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 07:01:12 AM »
Would it be possible to get a close up of the decorations on the top horn? Looks rather unique, but it's hard to make out the detail.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:01:33 AM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
Tim, yes the one with the collar is the one with the threaded plug. The plug is made from a piece of horn and the collar was carved from the horn. This horn also has a name and date on it also, think its 1828. I think you seen it at a show Tim.

The bottom horn actually is my daughters. She had the high bid in the silent auction at the CLA several years back. It has a date too I believe with really nice engraving of ships around the base.

I thought that horn looked familiar, actually I was thinking there was another and I was trying to figure out where I'd seen it. I was thinking that the collar was a separate piece.  Thanks B.

Tim

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 04:11:43 AM »
Clark, I'll try to get some close ups. I'll have to dig them out again. The decorations include an anchor and some things I cant make out.

Tim it may end up an applied tip because it has started to delaminate from the body.