Author Topic: Lock replacement TC Hawken  (Read 7719 times)

Lead ball 54

Lock replacement TC Hawken
« on: February 05, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »
I just picked up a TC Hawken flint lock and was thinking about replacing the lock so as this is my first flinter I will rely on you experts for advise now keep in mind money don't grow on trees in my back yard so pickn is slim I think I got it for a decent price 175.00 and it is very clean no rust or pitting so I can afford a decent lock thanks have a great week

Offline Daryl

Re: Lock replacement TC Hawken
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »
Have you checked www.trackofthewolf.com for replacement parts, like lock, breech and/or barrel?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:04:19 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:02 PM »
The locks from L&R are the same price that you paid for the gun.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »
This was not expected?
Daryl

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »
You can sell the original lock for right around what a replacement L&R lock will cost if it's in good condition. 

Don't know if any other locks will work on the rifle or not...the L&R is designed to fit it with a little inletting.

It's an upgrade for sure.  Wish it had a bigger Flint/frizzen though.

While you are at it, call Chamber's and get a white lightning liner and bit and tap and put it in...that's a huge upgrade IMO.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »
This was not expected?

Probably not for the OP. Although I did give him a link for it, so maybe he checked the price too.

Lead ball 54

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »
Thanks I'm going to check those out I have never had a TC flint lock before are the locks bad or just not as good will I be able to get by with the TC lock

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:47:56 PM »
Sure you can get by. Try it and see how it works for you.

Turtle

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 10:54:02 PM »
yep, try it first. Some aren't half bad.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 12:31:13 AM »
Be aware that T/C had 2 generations of locks, as the Gen1 ones had poor geometry on the cock angle to the frizzen. I believe they changed both the angle and height of the cock. Years ago you could send
Your lock to them and they’d replace the cock with the new one, if not a complete replacement out right.

I’ll have to check my files for a picture showing the differences. FWIW I have a T/C flinter I keep as a ‘spare’ or backup, plus for new BP shooters to try out ... and that lock has been very reliable. I don’t ever recall it not going off ...
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:31:56 AM »
If a bit slow in ignition, it will teach good, long follow through.
Daryl

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 12:35:21 AM »
Found the photo - see how much taller it is?

All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 06:54:39 PM »
I have used an L&R RPL lock in a TC Renegade, the ease of installation varies widely from gun to gun. I found that TC rifles are not cookie cutter duplicates like one would think.

In my rifle I had to move the barrel back to center the touchhole, plug the bolt hole and drill a new one as the L&R threaded bushing didn't line up, grind off the front of the hooked breech to keep it out of the new bolt hole, put wood shims in the inlet because the RPL lock was smaller than the mortise and remove a lot of wood from inside the mortise to accommodate the new lock internals.

On some TC rifles there is very little inletting to do for a replacement. From questioning others who have made the swap it looks like you have a 50-50 chance on needing some serious gunsmithing skills to replace your lock with an L&R.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »
Welcome...and congratulations on taking the plunge into flintlock shooting.
Before you do anything....look at the pictures posted and determine which generation your lock is.
I have a 1970's vintage 50 caliber flintlock Thompson Center "Hawken style" rifle.
I'm one of those folks who got my 1st generation lock replaced for free from Smith and Wesson, who owns T/C now. That was about 3 yrs ago and I have NO idea if that option is still available. In my case...when I acquired the rifle the frizzen had been broken off. I called the service center and asked the very nice lady if they still supported the lifetime warranty that was in place when I purchased the rifle. (It is a "family rifle" so to speak...I bought it for a cousin back in the 70's and got it back after he passed away. ) She told me that they did warrant T/C products but that parts availability could be an issue. In my case..they emailed a shipping label to me, I sent the lock in and got the new, 2nd generation lock within the same week.
IF...if you have a first generation lock, I can't help you as I have no experience with those. A buddy of mine down here went the "L&R Drop-in replacement" route. He found it was far from being a "Drop-in" and hasn't been particularly happy with it. On the other hand...I have found the 2nd generation T/C lock to be a pretty darn good piece of equipment. If you look around, you can find a Lyman frizzen that has been slightly modified to be a direct replacement for the T/C frizzen. Of course, you can buy a Lyman yourself and do your own fitting...cost is about the same either way, approx. $20.00. I recommend doing this.  I wasn't impressed with the T/C frizzen. I would also recommend that you try to find a pkg. of Thompson Center Touchhole Bushings. T/C. part # 7327. They come 2 per pack, with a small allen wrench for installation and removal.  I literally stumbled on those one day at Dick's Sporting Goods. I thought they looked interesting and decided to give them a try rather than drilling & tapping the barrel for a Chambers vent liner. They are the next best thing to Jim Chambers liners you can get for your T/C rifle, and don't require anything other than take out the original, and screw on of these in.
At the end of the day, with those inexpensive modifications, IF you have the second generation lock...you're going to wind up with a VERY decent flintlock rifle that doesn't "give up" much to anybody's custom.
As to the rifle itself...I also recommend changing the sights. IMHO...those T/C sight are awful. But perhaps that's just me.
All in all...my 50 cal, slightly modified T/C "Hawken style" flintlock performs with excellent reliability and sufficient accuracy that it's my go-to rifle for Deer and Hogs.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline prairieofthedog

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 07:18:29 PM »
I picked up a TC  Flinter this summer,didn't need it but never had one and the price was right.My lock is first generation and $#@*.Frizzen sucks and the hammer geometry is terrible.Just smashes flints.Called S&W and got quite the run around,one said I could not send it in without the gun huh?kept working till one said just send the lock in  and we will repair or replace with Gen 2.Sent it in with details of what it was doing,got it back in about 21/2 weeks.Sent same lock back with a new fly.There was nothing wrong with the old fly,and that did not address any of my real problems!Thanks S&W!So then I bought a L&R replacement because not going to deal with a $#@* lock.Then I see some of the butchering people have to do to get them to fit,and it is still in the sack!Probably sell  the whole kit and caboodle,got other reliable Flinters.End of Rant LOL!

Offline prairieofthedog

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »
Don Steele,you are right most people have had good luck with the Gen 2 lock.And changing the touchholes with the TC ones is a major upgrade!Just wish that's what mine was.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 04:08:40 AM »
I shot one with the original lock for years.  It was my first kit, way back in 1974.   I'd shoot yours it and see how it works.  If you hate it, convert to percussion with a drum and percussion hammer, that is what I did.  I shot it a little more and put it away for two decades.  When I dug it out again I replaced the barrel and lock.  I used an L/R and made the plate fit my stock.  I ended up making a long nut to replace a bridal screw  so the lock bolt worked.   I also re-designed the furniture and lowered the comb.

I now wish I had left it alone as a reminder of my 15 year old self.

I probably would not put any serious money in a TC.  They are fine as an entry level rifle.   They work.  The stock design is poor.  The construction details are modern. There is not much that can be done to improve it in a cost effective way.   If you want better, pay for better up front.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »
I have seen written, that you can replace the cock and frizzen of T/C guns with those from a Lyman Great Plains rifle to get better ignition.  The frizzen needs to be modified some to fit, but works well once in place.