Author Topic: John Bivins Becentennial 50 cal....  (Read 16627 times)

Offline EC121

Re: John BIvens Becentennial 50 cal....
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2018, 04:00:40 PM »
If the lockplate is tight against the barrel flat, there won't be any fouling under the barrel.  If there is a little , you can wipe it away when the lock is removed for cleaning.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:23:56 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline art riser

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2018, 05:11:06 AM »
John's Brochure from 1975. You will see the "IB" touchmark just to the left of the top flat engraving.

upload img to html link
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2018, 05:43:47 AM »
That is awesome!!!!!! Thanks for the post!!!!!!!! Its amazing to sit and look at this rifle....I wonder where it has been hiding for the past 42 years?  Wish I could find the powder horn and possibles pouch that came with her........

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »
  Wish I could find the powder horn and possibles pouch that came with her........

THAT would be the quest but whatever it took, worth the while.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:39:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2018, 06:01:03 PM »
Please do bring it to the Bedford Pa show!!  I'd love to see in person what everyone is talking about.
I will bring my piggy bank and all my extra plunder.
Just kidding, but ya never know.
I would just use a good wax on everything, light coat.

JVavrek

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2018, 07:47:23 PM »
Bigmon, What show in Bedford?  Please post the info for the show. I will make that one. It's only a hour and a half from here.   robpack@Hotmail.com,Please bring it to the show if you are able.

Offline jaeren

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2018, 09:28:16 PM »
google old bedford village events. I have it listed as April 6 and 7th the 6th its 1pm to 5pm and the 7th its 9am to 4pm. Do a google on Prickets Fort in West Virginia as well February 23rd and 24th. And another show in February in New Market Virginia on the 16th and 17th of February. Lots of shows this time of year. Attend one show and pick up fliers for the others. Not to mention the Baltimore show.

JVavrek

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2018, 11:56:12 PM »
jaeren, Thank You. I work at West Virginia University Hospital. I will be going to the Pricketts Fort show too. Don't know if I'll go to the one in New Market. It is a little over 3 hours.

JVavrek

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2018, 12:00:28 AM »
 robpack@Hotmail.com, If you do plan on going to the Bedford show. Please let me know what time you will be there. Thank You, I would love to see that rifle in person.

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2018, 04:59:23 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, look me up on here before the Bedford Show, I will bring the Bivins, got the lock out no sweat, great advice here, simply tapped it out---using the screws from behind (GENTLY) fit in there perfect...... pics below....

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2018, 05:08:38 AM »
All of the barrels were made in 50 caliber by Robert Paris of Gettysburg, PA.  C.E. (Bud) Siler of NC supplied all the flintlock mechanisms and assisted with the production of the hardware.  Joe Scorsone of NC did the initial machining of the stocks.  Monte Mandarino and Mark Silver moved to NC and helped John Bivins with the production of the rifles.
Each Bicentennial set included the rifle, a powder horn, tow plaques, a target shot with the rifle, and an instruction booklet on the proper use and care of the rifle and horn.  The cost of the Bicentennial Rifle Set in 1976:  $2250."
While the lock, stock, and hardware was the same for all the rifles, the carving and engraving was different on each one.

According to the information here the locks were all Bud Siler locks.  Is that a L&R lock.
iloco

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2018, 05:51:34 AM »
I have NO idea, however, I'm sure someone here can shed some light?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »
L&R assembled Siler locks for others for use in projects such as this. Siler lock for sure but assembled by L C and Liston (Chubby Jaws) Rice.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2018, 05:02:02 PM »
Interesting thread people,  I had the privilege of being in Bivins shop when the bi-centennial rifles were being made.  They were a combined effort be a number of artisans of the day.  Though the years I have encountered a few of them for sale - non had a price on them under $10,000!  As to their value today it will depend on the collector and what he is willing to pay.
One further note , generally speaking, the contemporary collector is more willing to invest in a "unfired" rifle then one that has been used extensively. Of course there is always the exception.  Historically, high end guns were made to shoot and not to hide away some where. In other words they were functional! as well as eye candy.  You can have both!
Just my thoughts,   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2018, 03:02:26 AM »
In the early 1970's I followed John Bivens work. I could never see enough of John's engraving and carving. He wrote articles in Rifle Magazine at that time. I have every original article that he ever wrote. At that time, I put them in a three ring note book. Still have it. Also, at that time I had finished a transitional rifle and took it to Friendship with me. I met John at the contemporary makers cabin. He displayed it for me while I was there. I still have the tri-folded piece of paper that he put my name on that he put in the rack with my flintlock. I also still have his advertisement that described different style rifles that he built. 

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2018, 04:47:59 AM »
Jerry, if you look at one of the building articles in Rifle magazine, toward the end, he states, that the photos "reflect his first left-hand rifle being made for Buck Buchanan". I put my copy of the magazine in a very safe place. ::)

I'm thinking of writing up an article for submission here reviewing the day Jerry Fisher and I drove up to Old Salem to pick up my rifle. I have photos of John in his shop, and at the range, sighting in the rifle.

I promised "Broken Flint" I would send him a copy of the tri-fold brochure that I have outlining the features of each the three rifle styles he provided to customers. I hope to be able to remember to do that tomorrow.

Were it not for my being in business with him & a friend of Lew Sanchez from 1972 to 1982, I would not be as lucky as I am.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
Jerry, if you look at one of the building articles in Rifle magazine, toward the end, he states, that the photos "reflect his first left-hand rifle being made for Buck Buchanan". I put my copy of the magazine in a very safe place. ::)

I'm thinking of writing up an article for submission here reviewing the day Jerry Fisher and I drove up to Old Salem to pick up my rifle. I have photos of John in his shop, and at the range, sighting in the rifle.

I promised "Broken Flint" I would send him a copy of the tri-fold brochure that I have outlining the features of each the three rifle styles he provided to customers. I hope to be able to remember to do that tomorrow.

Were it not for my being in business with him & a friend of Lew Sanchez from 1972 to 1982, I would not be as lucky as I am.

If you get time to put it together please start a new Thread. I for one would love to see it.

Tim C.

Offline little joe

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2018, 12:47:34 AM »
Were some of the rifles did by Larry Murock?

Offline EC121

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2018, 07:35:38 PM »
I have a bicentennial rifle made by Mrock  in 1975.( pics at www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com  in Sept. 2015 )  He made some for the Early American Society.  Don't know about his association with Bivins.
Brice Stultz

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2018, 11:32:14 PM »
I have a bicentennial rifle made by Mrock  in 1975.( pics at www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com  in Sept. 2015 )  He made some for the Early American Society.  Don't know about his association with Bivins.

Made it easier to find, hope you don't mind. Click on them to enlarge.

Tim C.

upload your images
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:33:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2018, 05:02:58 AM »
As mentioned above Larry Mrock made some rifles for the Early American Society, but he was not part of the Pennsylvania Bicentennial project.  All of those rifles were made by either Bivins or Jack Haugh.