Author Topic: Small VS Large Siler performance.  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Dave R

Small VS Large Siler performance.
« on: February 06, 2018, 05:44:13 AM »
I have noticed that the large slier lock sparks much better ands gives more reliable ignition especially with a worn flint than a small slier! I guess because the large Siler has  a longer throw and more mass of the cock and frizzen?? Comments please?
What can be done to improve the performance of the small slier?

Turtle

Re: Small VS Large Siler performance.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
 I modified my small siler to give it a longer cock throw. It helped a lot. I did it by substituting a longer sear to move the full cock position back. You just have to be carefull not to pull the cock much past fullcock or the mainspring breaks.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »
There are a number of assemblers out there selling "  siler " locks.  I've used a number of the small siler locks over the years and have never had any ignition trouble with any of them. Large or small, they are fabulous locks. I'd look at the issues you are having as more of an individual thing and address the problems on that basis. One of my target rifles has a small siler , and I know a lot of folks who prefer that size for target work. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:37:23 PM »
Contact Chambers. I think there’s a new tumbler or cock for Small Siler that improves performance.
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 01:10:39 AM »
I have two small Silers and two large Silers.  One small SIler is on a single trigger gun and only needed the fly removed to be great.  I find the large Silers to be amazing sparkers and the small ones don't have any warts. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:33:18 AM »
I recall some target guys used to use the Small Siler as it was fast and didn't jar the sight picture much.  God Bless,  Marc

Turtle

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »
My small Siler was assembled by Walter Cain. It's beautufuly made.