Author Topic: S. Gobrecht Rifle  (Read 2214 times)

JustPlainJim

S. Gobrecht Rifle
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »
I have an old rifle that has been in the family since it was made. I know very little about it  except it has the gunsmith’s last name and first initial stamped on the barrel , “S. Gobrecht” . I was told by my Great Great Grandfather that it was originally a flintlock. It has been converted to a percussion gun many many years ago. There are a couple of extra stamps on the barrel . One are 2 letters together they are “BO” and then about 2” further toward the muzzle is a lone “R”. Can anyone possible provide me with any information regarding the gunsmith and or the markings?  and thank you in advance!!
Jim
img_5410.jpeg [img]5410
HOW DO YOU POST PICTURES?? 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:18:26 AM by JustPlainJim »

Offline OldSouthRelics

Re: S. Gobrecht Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 09:41:30 AM »
Samuel Gobrecht is a possibility. Your Great Great Grandfather could very well be right.

If you could possibly provide pictures of the "gunsmiths name and initial", the barrel stampings, the lock area, and overall pictures of the gun it would aid the very knowledgeable members of this forum and would allow them to confirm if it was originally percussion and if Samuel Gobrecht is indeed a possible candidate.

Here is a small amount of information I found regarding Gobrecht. It also features some pictures of a gun attributed to him.

https://kindigantiques.com/kindig-rifles/available-rifles/samuel-gobrecht/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:42:13 AM by OldSouthRelics »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »
" I was told by my great great grandfather ?"  I'm anxious to see pictures as well. Thanks for posting
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:16:00 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:37:05 PM »
Jim,

Kindig’s “Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle...” has a section on the Gobrecht family guns. I have an unsigned and uncarved Gobrecht flintlock rifle with the features Kindig mentions, such as the unusual patch box finial, the long front section to the side plate, and the front and back trigger guard tang file notches. Although not a high art or finely crafted piece, I am very fond of it. It is good to know that you have one to be proud of, brought down in your family.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

JustPlainJim

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 04:19:47 AM »
Thanks Bill, I have been trying to figure out how to upload pictures but I must be as dumb as the butt end of this rifle!!

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 05:56:53 AM »
Jim,

Here's the instructions for posting pictures.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43575.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie