Author Topic: Mostly home-made build.  (Read 8723 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Mostly home-made build.
« on: February 06, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
Morning Gents,

Finally I got some photos took of another build, my third.   (Done decades ago!!)  Lost camera cord;  Got one given for B-day yesterday.

Bought a Jim C. Early Ketland lock, rest is home-made apart from the tiny wood screws in the patch box. 
Please don't give me grief on the engraving!;  Found I needed eye help when doing this one...and also you may Possibly notice it's another "Woodbury" style to some degree.   :-)
"Woodbury" , as I had plenty of farm machinery guard type scrap and othe bits, socan make iron at less cost than buying brass.

Barrel was 3 X drawn tubing, 1- 1/16" OD and a 7/16" hole.  after fine boring, it looked like glass, and   I rifled it on a rather primitive homemade rifling bench.   Being primitive, I had to put index marks on the barrel, and turn it for cutting each groove, rather than re-indexing the cutter.  Still , it worked and is 6 groove.

Flats were put on by hand with a sort of draw-knife I made from a worn reaper file.  It's swamped, but I should have swamped it a bit more, as finished gun is right around ten pounds.
 Bore takes a .425" ball and 15 thou patch.
Stock was red maple from Susie Biccio.   Sidenails and wood screws made from rod or old bolts.  Tools same,  with hand-cut ball puller and worm.
"Herschel" style fore-end poured from babbit.

It's not meant to be  a "Fine" rifle, just a quick -made working gun. Still with all the miles I walked rifling it, it took me about 100 hours to complete.
Pictures;

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:24:19 PM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Mostly home-made build.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »
Richard: great job of making use of what you have laying around. I like the gun and story.  :)  Smylee Grouch

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
Few more photos.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:26:48 PM »
Very Nice indeed.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:29:00 PM »
Thank you Smylee.

Target was shot and reversed as I filed front sight down.
Shot sitting as it was Windy!

Used it sometimes hunting and got W-tails and Muley.
First go this, ata captured lid patchbox.
Spring for the p-box was a tine off a Melrow combine pick -up.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 06:42:53 PM »
That is a lovely rifle.  I have been thinking about building another Woodbury style rifle.  There is just something about them.
David

n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:55:44 PM »
Dang Richard! that would be nice for a 30th build, but for a 3rd , I`d say outstanding!!. You did capture the Woodbury vibe , very well. Nice Job!!!  Nate

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 06:58:11 PM »
 :o :o :o... You do great work, but so far this is Your best build that you have pictured yet... !!! ... however, I'm prejudiced toward iron guns , especially Southern ones ... !!! ... Like the fact that you made all the parts too..... She is one FINE rifle .... what is the barrel length, and what caliber does she throw...??? ... Also, great photography .... perfect setting and background for those shots ... Thanx for posting this 'un .... !!! ... Regards, C C Fiddler ....

Hemo

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »
Mighty nice work, and easy  on the eye! Really nice for a third build. Don't apologize for the engraving, it looks honest.

Gregg

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »
That ... indeed is one ‘pukka bundook’ (which means good gun in some mugal Indian (country) dialect.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 07:08:29 PM »
  Pukka...when yeah going pro...that is one fine rifle...can't see anything wrong at all...except it's not mine...! 

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 07:21:28 PM »
Very nicely done and I LIKE the way you did the metal treatment! ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline flehto

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 07:22:19 PM »
Beautiful rifle and you really built it from "scratch" in the fullest sense. What colorant did you use on the stock.....dark, but it has a "soft" look. Thanks for showing.....Fred

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 07:23:05 PM »
Great looking rifle, Pukka.  I don't think I would change a thing about the engraving... It really adds a rustic quality, as does the carving, and helps unify the whole of the parts into one.  Outstanding for a number 3!!!

Offline little joe

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »
Not a fine rifle,(that,s a bunch of $#@*) its a very excellent rifle. As to rifleing  a bbl I did 2, 40 years ago and that was enough for me.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »
How does the latch work?  Is there a spring in a cavity under it that isn't visible?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
Nice hunting rifle, Richard - really liked the story - well done.

I do like the finish, on this rifle - it looks right!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:19:35 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:38 PM »
Outstanding!
The only thing I can't understand is...with all that skill/talent why you have only built three?
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »
That's just the style I like. Great work.
Wish I had "stuff" like that laying around

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 09:22:08 PM »
Great proof that the Woodbury school is alive and well north of the border!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
Well Gentlemen,

I am please you seem to like it, even if it Is a kind of working rifle!

I'd put together a Mark Silver kit, from Jim Chambers, and it 's a lovely and fine handling kit!
Thought I'd maybe short-changed myself so made another, that I showed some time back, but Still bought the lock, trigger-guard and buttplate and of course barrel. 
Still thought I'd shortchanged myself, and figured to try again, but as the heart of a flintlock is the lock, figured to get another from Jim, as I could never make one as nice as his locks!
The rest was just a plain challenge.
It snowed on us one harvest, and while we were laid up from combining, I made the rifling bench and got barrel done on the inside.  Ordered a scissor mould from Dixie, guessing what I needed and it works fine.  (got lucky!)

I see some questions above so will try and answer in order;

C-C Fiddler,
Barrel is 43 " long, and about .44 calibre.  I rifled it 1 ~ 45 ".     (Don't ask me why, but it seems to work,) charge first shots above , was 55 grs 2F.  Goes well between 40 & 80 grs.

Old trav'ler,
Farm has taken up most of my time until now.   Always summat to do and all that.  Not enough time to build many.

Flehto,

I think I just used Wahakon Bay aqua-fortis.  Being red maple it has more figure,  Still V hard, but a little softer than the hard maple.
It Did give me a worry, as someone I used to pester with phone-calls at that time, (Maybe Mark Silver,  Before I realised how busy those guys are!!)
Suggested I try just scraping and burnishing, instead of sanding.  Well! when I did it with Nitric, I got the scare of my life! grain seemed stand on end like a fresh washed rat!  ( might have been Frank House)  But, just as they said, if you ha dit warm and slopped the oil on, and burnished it, the grain would go lie down and  Stay down and it did!
Gave me a real bad turn though, as it took some time to get it to submit. 
I like the soft warm colour as well, Flehto.

Little Joe, No , it's not a fine , as in perfectly made and carved and engraved rifle. It's a working gun, made sort of quick and without messing about.

TOF,
In the photo of the open box, you can see a spring that raises the lid when the latch is pulled.  This spring is at front of the compartment.
The latch at the back has  a lip that goes over the rear of the lid, holding it down. 
This latch has a stem, like a square nail with barbs on it, and it is driven into the stock and acts as a spring.   When pushed to the rear, (away from patch-box
 lid), the  lid can pop open under the pressure of the front  spring.
Hope this helps!

Kevin/Burnt,

I have built more, but not many.  Time was always the problem.  made about 9 all told.
Have a cousin in England, and his father passed away suddenly when fairly young.
I have often thought about that;
If he had lived, the lads would have spent their lives farming. (like me).
As it is, they all "blossomed " so to speak. One makes Very high -class violins, and used to deliver them anywhere in the world.  Another set records for kayaking across the English channel, and the other one was the first bloke to build racing bicylcles out of carbon fibre.  He developed the process.
Now, it they'd been farming, shovelling s***  all their lives, none of that would have happened.

Bigmon,

When the stuff was lying around, it didn't look much like it does now, LOL!

Thanks to all for the kind replies.

R.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 12:06:35 AM »
I like your rifle Richard, and your approach to building it.  I hope we can meet some day and swap lies...BC Rendezvous is end of August into September...
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:45 AM »
What can I say that hasn’t been said already?  Just that I hope my next one turns out as nice. A

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline steve1122

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 01:10:04 AM »
I love this rifle! To build something like this, with what you have lying around, is nothing short of remarkable. Thanks for posting.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 01:17:11 AM »
Pukka Bundook,

Is that the one illustrated in Mark Baker's article? If so, it caught my eye when I first saw it. Very nice to see more pictures and to hear the story behind it.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling