Author Topic: ORIGINAL TENNESSEE 3/4 STOCKED RIFLE  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

ORIGINAL TENNESSEE 3/4 STOCKED RIFLE
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:55:56 PM »
.... posted a few photos of a rifle with Unicoi Co. Tennessee features earlier .... she is what we refer to as 3/4 stock ... have compared "markers" and talked to a couple others and we suspicion Ambrose Lawing as the maker .... Couple members wanted to see the forearm area, so.... here ye go,... hope this helps,... Regards,... C C Fiddler  ....

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:33:42 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline diamante

Re: ORIGINAL TENNESSEE 3/4 STOCKED RIFLE
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 12:45:16 AM »
Does this rifle have a wood or metal rib?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:58:01 AM »
I sure like the lines Dana.  That 3/4 stock is sure different.  Sort of like a dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up a couple of turns.   ;-)   A very nice acquisition sir.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline VP

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 03:53:47 AM »
Interesting, I thought they were just full stocks that had been cut because the forearm had been damaged. How common are they? I would like to see a picture of the whole rifle to see how long the barrel extends beyond the forestock. How long is the barrel?

VP

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:06:59 AM »
I’m convinced it was originally built at a 3/4 stock. I’m sure it is an Ambrose Lawing, but it could be made by his son. I can’t see a thing wrong with it. No restoration needed.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »
Here are a few photos of two of my 3/4 stock Lawing guns. The first one was one of his last rifles. The second rifle is one of his early rifles.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:37:19 AM by Ky-Flinter »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

JB2

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »
very interesting treatment of the entry thimble on the 3/4 stock.  Do you feel that is original to the gun too?  I may have to try something like that soon.  Thank you so much for sharing these pics.  Some great finds you have there.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »
 ;) ;) ;).... Thanx for the photos, Bill ... Is the trigger-guard on that second rifle brass ...???.... looks nice ... also different cheek-rests ... goes to show, nothing is "standardized" on these Tennessee guns ....!!! ... however, even if not marked, we can see enough similarities to attribute to Lawing .... you have some nice rifles,.... thanx for shareing with us ... Regards,.... C C Fiddler

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Can't see too many Lawings.

Hold to the Wind

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 07:26:22 PM »
 Sequatchie, Nice looking rifles!
Are they signed by Lawing?

John
John Robbins

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 03:29:35 AM »
Very nice!  Don’t think I’ve ever seen any 3/4 stocked rifles before...or if I did I didn’t pay close enough attention. When I was a kid my grandpa retired and moved to Bean Station, Tennessee. Back then (late 60’s) every gas station, bait store, and restaurant around there had old “hog rifles” hanging behind the counter or on the walls. If a feller had been a little smarter than me, he could’ve acquired quite the collection...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 05:30:29 AM »
Both are signed and dated Ambrose Lawing and the second one has a brass trigger guard. If memory serves me, the first one was made the year he died, the second one in 1847.