Author Topic: Southern rifles in Alaska  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Carper

Southern rifles in Alaska
« on: March 03, 2018, 04:36:07 AM »
These two little fellows didn’t know how lucky they were.  Although I must admit the taste of these black tails is superior to the whitetail from the Appalachians of which I am very familiar I could not bring myself to shoot these big collies. Southern mountain homemade rifle with black walnut fullstock. Bone return on the heel of the butt. 47 cal.

Offline Nordnecker

Re: Southern rifles in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »
Looks good. Show us more.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 03:31:44 PM »
I like it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 07:10:52 PM »
 :o :o... C'mon now ... !!! ... you should resume building rifles .... If I could find one like that in .50 with a 48" barrel, I would talk with a fellow ... !!!! ... Regards, Cades Cove Fiddler ...... ;) ;) ;)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:53:34 PM »
That's a great looking rifle.  I do particularly like those Appalachian rifles.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Carper

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 11:05:26 AM »
You gentlemen have been very complimentary. These southern rifles have occupied a large part of my life. I brought a southern mountain flintlock to Kodiak with me. If any of you ever make it to the island of the giant bears look me up and we have a good visit. Here are a few southern brothers. Also I wanted to show you a picture of the southern rifle my apprentice makes and just how well it shoots. He won these medals at Friendship with it. Thismrifle was his first plain rifle that he made under my tultlege. Not the most delicate but that has come for him with later rifles.He makes a nice homemade rifle.I made the other rifles a while back.

free picture hosting for ebay
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:07:50 AM by Carper »

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
That’s some beautiful work!  Looks like your apprentice not only knows how to build an accurate rifle, he knows how to use it too!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 10:50:09 PM »
 :) :)... Thanx for posting these pics, Carper ... Great looking Southern rifles .... could pass for well cared for original guns ... I wish you would post some more pix of rifles from your apprentice and contact info,... maybe in the "contemporary collectors" space ...???  .... Great Work,... !!!

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 02:31:00 AM »
Here is a picture of Carper's apprentice who isn't about to go hungry.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:18 PM »
Fine looking and performing rifles, Johnny. Wish you were building them in Alaska!

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

n stephenson

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 04:36:12 PM »
Here is a picture of Carper's apprentice who isn't about to go hungry.

I wished our turkeys came in bags!!  Ours are covered in feathers!!  ::)    Nice rifle , Good shooting!!