Author Topic: engraving queston  (Read 1465 times)

Offline tallpine

engraving queston
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »
I'm in the process of building my fourth rifle and I want to have some simple engraving done on it, patch box, toe plate and a few inlays.  Can these pieces be fitted than taken off and sent out to an engraver or are they engraved after inleting ?
 I would also like to say thanks to all who contribute to this site, it has been such a valuable resource and has really flattened the learning curve for me .  Dan

Offline Sidelock

• J.R. Dixon
Re: engraving queston
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:31:42 AM »
Everything you listed I would engrave on the stock - possible exception the toe plate but, usually those are done on the gun too.
If you cannot see the irony in having a gun ban enforced by men with guns, then you fail to understand why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place....

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:35:23 AM »
Well, yes and no.  Some parts, like the side plate and the patchbox can be completely fitted and then removed for engraving, although some makers may prefer to engrave parts on the gun.
That said, other parts like small inlays, especially nailed in inlays would be more difficult to remove for engraving once they are completely fitted and flush.  A lot depends on how tight they fit.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 06:41:17 AM »
I agree with engraving parts while on the gun. What I have done with patch box door is to engrave it before cutting the hole behind it. That way you have solid wood behind it and the patch box door does not bend while engraving.

I would suggest not sending anything to the engraver. Just engrave it yourself. It is not nearly as hard as it looks. Keep it simple and practice a lot before doing it for real.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 06:51:09 AM »
Any parts that have been installed using screws can be removed and engraved off the rifle.  They can be mounted on a block of wood with Bondo, engraved then removed by heating up the Bondo.  You can probably do a better job by engraving as many parts as possible off the rifle since you don't have to work around the rifle.
David

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 01:00:56 PM »
I engrave everything I can off of the rifle.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 01:42:11 PM »
I try to engraved as much as possible off of the rifle, the patch box, side plate, toe plate and screwed on inlays. Nailed on lnlays are done on the rifle.  Any engraving done on the barrel is done out of the stock and before or without the sights installed.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »
Hi,
It is far easier to smoothly engrave a part if it is off the gun so that it can be spun in a vise. As others wrote, engrave as many parts as possible off the gun.  You can also engrave those parts off the gun that will be nailed in place by fitting them and filing flush with the wood (if that is what you want). Then carefully remove them, glue to a block of wood and engrave them.  Then replace them on the gun, drill the pin holes and counter sink them. Tap in the pin and carefully file flush if desired. If you are careful, you will only damage a small amount of the engraving when pinning the inlay, which can be re-engraved on the gun.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 03:38:30 AM »
 I don't know any professional engravers who engrave parts on the gun.  Even the smallest inlays.  All these inlays were engraved off the gun after being inlaid. 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:39:29 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:21:13 AM »
I am a student of Jerry's.......hence, I have never engraved anything ON the gun.  There is almost always a way to do it off the gun (as others have explained) and it is far, far easier to do a good job that way.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline tallpine

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 05:21:12 AM »
Thanks guys. You all have been very helpful. I am looking in to what I will need to get started engraving.  Dan