Author Topic: Browning agent  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Mauser06

Browning agent
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:21:56 AM »
Getting an order ready...

I've never browned anything. My current build, I'd like to age a bit...read up on the Clorox method...

I was thinking about trying to achieve something with letting a growing solution go a while...card it off, cold blue, then rub it back. 

Seems different Browning solutions work differently.  Not sure which one would work best for this to develop a believable patina...

Or...if anyone has other suggestions on aging steel (and brass for that matter) I'm all ears.  Some builders can absolutely nail it.  Other attempts can be spotted easily. 

I'd leave it develop it's own patina...but being a turkey gun, I want it done just so I don't have shiney brass and steel in the woods to be spotted by ole split toe Tom.

Offline Bill Raby

Re: Browning agent
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:30:05 AM »
I am trying to brown a barrel and lock right now. It is frustrating. The dew point right now is -8 degrees. The air so dry I cannot get anything to rust. So I got it in the downstairs bathroom and every couple hours I run the shower on hot until the mirror fogs over. It takes a full day to get any rust on it at all. It is working, but going really slow. I am using the stuff that Track of the Wolf sells. It has worked great in the past. I have not tried aging it.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 04:37:45 AM »
I figured winter would be tough.  I was going to do just that...hang it in the bathroom. Lol. I don't particularly care for Browning so I'm not looking to make a dedicated setup.

Just not sure which solution will produce the results I want of light to mild pitting. Figured the pitting will capture some of the cold blue and give it a little darker look than just running back cold blue itself.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 04:51:17 AM »
When I built my turkey rifle I browned it to a dark chocolate brown. Stained the stock dark too. Purpose first. Gobblers have sharp eyes. The more  you handle it, shoot it, hunt with it and use it, the faster it will develop a patina of it's own.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 04:52:14 AM »
I like Homer Dangler's browning solution the best. Laurel Mt works fast but is hard to stop. If you boil your browned parts you will get a near black finish with no need for a cold blue. It will give you a real nice patina.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 05:12:53 AM »
This was rust blued with Wahkon bay true brown then steel wooled until almost smooth
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:22:26 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 05:17:43 AM »
Danger is the best in my opinion

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 05:32:57 AM »
This was rust blued with Wahkon bay true brown then steel wooled until almost smooth

Must be a magic elixir.  If I use it will my builds look that good?

Just kidding, wish you’d show us that build sometime.
Andover, Vermont

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 05:42:32 AM »
Rich, I will try to do that soon. I am still having some issues with the new image posting. Guess I will just have to suffer through it.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 05:46:47 AM »
Flinchrocket, that looks like a sneak peak of a great looking rifle.   

I just blued my last build.  Just not what I'm looking for on this one.

Many of Allen Martin's guns have the look I'd like to achieve.  Almost a kinda textured darker gray. Don't know how Allen does it. 

I was thinking letting a browning solution go heavily and then hitting it with a cold blue and running it back a bit just might achieve what I'm looking for..

Tracks browning solution directions actually mention for pitting and texture to not card at all..so maybe I will add a bottle and try it on some scrap.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 05:58:40 AM »
I don't think track carrys the Wahkon Bay brown, but it is acid based. I think their brand is acid based also and should make it pit if you leave it a couple weeks. Of course winter time is the worst time to finish metal without some sort of browning cabinet. The rust blue will also have a gray look just before
it's completely taken off, but it is a blue gray not dark gray.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 06:16:08 AM »
I am ordering from Track... I will try it and see what happens. I have plenty of un-used spaces in my house and a humidifier...I can figure something out. 

If I don't like the finished product on the gun I can always draw file and start over.

Offline little joe

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »
06 You mentioned Clorox  method and here is what worked for me. BBl  lay out a trash bag or 2 depending on bbl  42-44 ect long. Plug the bore and touch hole. Take paper towels wet soaked  and wrap the bbl and then wrap it in trash bags. Check every 2 hrs or so until you get this sorted out. Don,t do this and check next week!

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 05:13:34 PM »
Thanx Joe! 

I am going to test a few things and see what produces what. 

I think I just need a little etching/pitting to get what I am looking for with the rubbed back cold blue afterwards. Just enough to capture the cold blue better. Not looking for a heavier aged piece...just something that looks well used and cared for...

Offline retired fella

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
An oldtimer  once told me to plug both ends and bury it in fresh horse manure.  I don't have horses so I never tried it.  I suspect that would give you a patina.   ;) ;) ;)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »
Mauser
Mr Martin's secret formula...... you had the general idea, here's how it works.
First of all, pretty labor intensive, AND, you'll need a sweat box, or the like for humidity.
Anyway, brown without carding, till way beyond where you would normally go.  Reapply solution every 6 to 12 hours.
Here's the hard part....., sand all the browning off, leaving the pits.
Cold blue everything, then rub back with Skotchbrite pad and your favorite preservative.  I use Breakfree CLP.
Gives a nice patina.
I should add,  ..... round off the edges of the barrel flats.  Looks silly to have an aged patina, on a crisp edged barrel.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:36:51 PM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
This is my favorite metal finish- a few coats of LMF browning, buffed back to remove color but leave "tooth" then put in a damp box with 44/40 cold blue. Neutralize and buff back with grey scubbie and ballistol.
Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
.....well. I was on the right track!   

Appreciate you sharing.   I try not to pry to hard for finishing info especially from guys like Allen and those who make a living selling guns and have a specific look they achieve.

I feel they deserve to keep those "trade secrets" as they likely worked hard to achieve them. Probably ruined some otherwise good pieces experimenting. Takes some guts to let a $250 barrel hang and rust to all heck and take a can of black paint to a stock you spent countless hours working on.

Figured now that I'm on my 2nd build, I need to start working on some of my own techniques to get the looks I personally like. 

Burnt, that's another great example of a look I love.  That is actually very believable natural patina.  I never finished a frizzen on my last build and it has the same kinda look.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »
Dangler's browning boiled and scrubbed back.

best image hosting website

Barngunguy

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 03:44:38 AM »
There is also using aqua fortis and then boiling the piece of metal. It works very well and is controllable. Meaning, if it's not dark enough, just reapply, then boil again. As many times as needed. Then neutralize.
The reason I like this the best is, it doesn't copper plate if you apply or rub to much.
It does take some time to do though this time of year. I spent 2 weeks rusting a barrel. After boiling it came out a very nice blueish grey. Initially I wanted darker, but after 2 years of ageing it has turned blueish black and I couldn't be happier. I also helped that ageing process also, by using a used cleaning patch on the barrel.
A wet, bp fouled patch works well to add age.
Good luck.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 04:40:40 AM »
Little Joe,
What is BBI. Not familiar with that acronym. Thanks.

smallpatch,
Do you know if Allen uses any special browning solution? Also when carding the barrel back after browning/ rusting in the sweat box, what grit of paper or Scotchbrite color works best to gradually card bac the rust? Thanks.

elkhorne

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 05:42:08 AM »
Browning box made easy  -  split a piece of 4 inch PVC lengthwise, screw a couple wood feet on one half.  Also drill a couple small holes cross wise for support wires to lay the barrel on.  Place damp damp towel material in the bottom, lay parts on wires and put the other barrel half on as a cover.  Set it where it will get some sunshine or heat on the whole thing.  Works for me in AZ and humidity is very low here most of the year.  I used Dangler's solution and carded it back with a green scotchbrite from the kitchen supply about every 8 hours and remoistened the  toweling. 

Offline Justin

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 07:02:43 AM »
I used Laurel Mountain Forge Browning Solution to Rust Blue my barrel recently. I built a damp box because the temperature and humidity in my workshop were too low right now. If you have a copy of Gunsmithing Tips and Projects, you'll find an article from John Bivins with plans and his experience with a damp box.

I used two light bulbs in mine on a dimmer but I only needed a 150w bulb in the bottom chamber (as opposed to a hot plate as used by Bivins).

My first application of LMF Browning solution was on for about 8 hours in 75 degrees and 75% humidity. All subsequent treatments were about 3 to 4 hours only. I didn't get a super smooth finish like a store bought rifle but I like the way it looks.

You can't tell there but there are some spots where it isn't as uniform. It looks like metal that's been in a fire.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 07:23:12 AM »
An oldtimer  once told me to plug both ends and bury it in fresh horse manure.  I don't have horses so I never tried it.  I suspect that would give you a patina.   ;) ;) ;)
Hi,
I'm not too sure about patina, BUT I will guarantee you will remember your process every time you bring your rifle to point, especially on a wet humid day ::) ;)
Have a great day! Eh?
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »
Mauser06 - I would stay well away from the Clorox - hairy danger, especially for bores.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V