Author Topic: Unusual iron mounted rifle  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Hlbly

Unusual iron mounted rifle
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »
Anyone recognize this man’s work? I have had this one for several years and just now learned that it has a Falls & Cunningham, Nashville, Tennessee lock. Someone pointed that out to me at the Lake Cumberland show. I have another one by the same maker. If there is a signed one around it should not be hard to recognize. I guess that with the Nashville lock, I need to start looking in central Tenn.

Offline shortbarrel

Re: Unusual iron mounted rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:38:36 AM »
Thanks for posting this rifle. The builder, as I see in the  pictures was a good black smith and stock maker as well. All the tangs on the rifle are long. If you would post a picture of the barrel tang It would be good info. Some of the good builders liked to strut there stuff and I think he might one of them.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:10:08 AM »
 ;) ;) ;).... Thank you for posting photos of that rifle,... I have been admiring both these rifles at previous shows and believe they are by the same hand,.... several similarities ... always good talking with you at the shows .... will be following this post as I am always willing to learn new things about these old guns,... !!! .... Regards, ... C C Fiddler,..... 

Offline gibster

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »
Here are a few pictures of a rifle that I used to own that has similar comb/wrist architecture. It was signed SB. Wish I had a picture of the initials, but don't.

best image hosting website

free photo web hosting

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:43 PM »
That is really neat.  Thanks for sharing it.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 02:48:01 AM »
http://jeffreysevans.hibid.com/lot/45242-56585-64801/fall-and-cunningham-nashville--tennessee/

Just because I was curious, I googled Falls and Cunningham and this is what came up. Obviously a different hand but as far as I can tell, a very similar lock. Does anyone have any insight as of just who/what is Falls and Cunningham?
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 04:47:37 AM »
 ??? ???... Just speculatin', .... A lot of imported locks were marked as  the hardware company or importing agent in the 19th century,.... "Fall & Cunningham" was most likely a hardware agent in Nashville in the 1800's ....  Another hardware company imported lock from Nashville,... "H&J Kirkman", and "Kirkman & Ellis" are also seen on East Tennessee rifles,..... just my 2c worth,... Regards,...  C C Fiddler 

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 06:16:47 AM »
Interesting rifle! Thanks for sharing
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »
A similar rifle marked “S & B” is pictured on page 39 of Jerry Noble’s Notes on Southern Rifles Vol. 3.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »
Neat old iron rifle. Never seen a comb wrist transition like that before.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 01:23:30 AM »
  Very neat rifle. That comb an wrist is unique. Thanks for showing.