Author Topic: Flintlocks without a bored flashhole  (Read 3095 times)

IC2(SS)19Z50C5B8

Flintlocks without a bored flashhole
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:33:58 PM »
Okay,

As a newby here, I don't know if this question has ever been asked before??.

If it has, I apologize.

Does anyone have any experiences with the muzzleloaders offered for purchase at the below website which have been competently modified to firing condition.

Please advise.

Military Heritage dot com

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Flintlocks without a bored flashhole
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:27:45 PM »
In a word, Yes.  I believe that Daryl has also posted something  some long while ago re one he owned
PM me if you want a review.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:15:42 AM »
Okay,

As a newby here, I don't know if this question has ever been asked before??.

If it has, I apologize.

Does anyone have any experiences with the muzzleloaders offered for purchase at the below website which have been competently modified to firing condition.

Please advise.

Military Heritage dot com
RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:15:50 AM »
Ok Sailor here ‘tis.  I’ve read good and bad. Thee are made in India and exporting requirements are different for wall hangers (non firing due to no flash hole) and firearms.  I do not know of the quality barrels good or bad.

I’ve heard way more negative about the functionality of their flintlocksvthan good. As the lock is the heart and soul of a flinter, well I chose to go another route instead of having to send the lock to have it tuned and the frizzen hardened.

The 3 most important parts of a gun w flint ignition are:
1.  The lock
2.  The lock
3.  The lock
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:59:49 AM »
 Some guns are shipped from foreign countries without a drilled touch hole to sidestep gun import, and export laws. But, some of the guns shipped without touch holes are done so to give the manufacturer an out if the pipebomb with a stock blows up and kills somebody.

Hungry Horse

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:31:51 AM »
"RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"

Gee Mike, tell us what you really thing.  I say, quit beating around the bush.  The man needs an answer....
;-)   Heh, heh, heh. 

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 04:45:28 AM »

IC2(SS)19Z50C5B8

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »
LOL!!, LOL!!, Many Thanks.. More later tomorrow!!!.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »
Some guns are shipped from foreign countries without a drilled touch hole to sidestep gun import, and export laws. But, some of the guns shipped without touch holes are done so to give the manufacturer an out if the pipebomb with a stock blows up and kills somebody.

Hungry Horse

HH has the right idea and if I ever would buy such a "gun" I would make a lamp out of it.
There have been a lot of guns imported from debatable sources ranging from muzzle loaders
to whatever.I found one in a local gun shop years ago that was a knock off of a top break
S&W revolver in 44 caliber.It had a long cylinder that would accommodate a 44 Mag for one
shot. It was Spanish made and I told the shop owner it should be made into a table lamp
and he got mad at me.I have wondered about this trap and did he sell it or???
Moderators please excuse the mention of the modern load but this IS a true story.

Bob Roller

IC2(SS)19Z50C5B8

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »
Good Morning All,

I very much enjoyed all the feedback on as Hungry Horse calls them, "pipebombs with a stock"..

I especially appreciate Bob Roller's experience with the top break S&W knock-off...

If I have anymore questions I'll send a PM.

I guess as far as I'm concerned, we'll let this question/subject/thread expire due to natural causes..

"May You All Have Fair Winds and Following Seas"

ddoyle

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 07:50:51 PM »
If we are tarring lets be an equal opportunity critic:

Like barrels made in the USA those imported from India are not proofed and are not vented.

Here is where it gets emotional for most- Your average USA made barrel is not even allowed in the front door of a proof house in 95% of the world and would be illegal to vent, sell, fire. Many Indian made barrels are allowed in the front door pass muster and can be legally used in backward pre industrial societys like Germany, England and Brazil.  Hmmm what do foreners know about tubes and pressure?- probabley not much.

Personally I would not use an Indian import Gun or a  USA made 12L tube but I am upity and prone to requiring  a bare minimum of quality in my my toys- most are not.

It never hurt a society to demand a bit more from it.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:54:40 PM by ddoyle »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 11:02:21 PM »
Uh oh.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 01:27:32 AM »
I should have noted on the picture but did not, that the barrel's outside diameter at the breech, is 1".  I cut 4" from the muzzle and found the barrel wall thickness was only about .20" thick on one

side but close to .125" on the other, iirc.  That was disturbing.  It kind of made me wonder if there were any other thin sections, close to the breech.  The barrel was straight, thus had been

ground or sanded on belt sanders to get the taper.

The barrels are made from 'seamless tubing', which I suspect started at 1".  The stock's machine screws (sling swivels, etc) were almost (but not quite) one size too small for the holes they were

fitted to.  My lock sparked very nicely, but I had to grind off the cross-grooves they had chizeled or ground into the face of the frizzen. These gouges were 1/16" deep, and of course would

shatter a flint first strike.

The rear shield I noted, is a flat plate behind the threads. This plate is 1" in diameter and the threads hold it against the rear of the barrel. This 'shield' is what kept the gun from blowing up, I

assume, with the first shot. I nearly went into convulsions after I de-breeched it for inspection. The 'threads were completely filled with fouling, almost level with their peaks.

I would suggest no one buy one of these. Buy a Pedersoli instead.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:41:44 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 05:17:56 PM »
I do have to say that a friend bought a pair of Scottish all metal flintlock pistols while touring Scotland. They were quite literally a work of art. But, they had no touch holes. He asked about this when he bought them, and was told it had to do with the British gun laws. We bored them, and lined them, and shot them, a lot. These were high end replicas, made with quality materials.

Hungry Horse

Turtle

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
 I worked on an Indian Brown Bess once. it was for a reenactor. I made him promise never to fire a ball or shot out of it---only blanks.