Author Topic: Now THAT’S gas leakage!  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Now THAT’S gas leakage!
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:03:04 AM »
Rifle - Patent date 1811, 1st breech loading rifle ever issued to a standing Army. Yes the British Ferguson pre-dated this design, but the John Hall flintlock musket began to be issued to US troops in 1819.

... and they say that “only” 2 things did this design in ... gas leakage and the advent of brass cartridges. I get the 2nd one ... but will let you guys comment as to the 1st.

All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Re: Now THAT’S gas leakage!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:12:06 AM »
Factoid - The first 2” of the barrel is counter-bored to remove the rifling. So after a few dozen shots, if/when the action wouldn’t open up, the soldier could load it like a traditional muzzleloader. These rifles carry metal ramrods in the typical manner.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:27 AM »
Quite a bit of aiming distraction. Could be tough on a full beard.

Offline redheart

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 12:54:11 AM »
Wow!!!!!!!
It looks like this gun was designed to shoot, and light your cigar at the same time. ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:54:52 AM by redheart »

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 01:43:03 AM »
Quite a bit of aiming distraction. Could be tough on a full beard.

Wow!!!!!!!  It looks like this gun was designed to shoot, and light your cigar at the same time. ;D

In retrospect, you can see this was fired by pulling on a rope looped to the trigger, sine the rifle was tied down ... since it hadn't been shot in ~160-years. I betcha the ball rolled off the powder charge (60-grains) and sat right at the forcing cone from the breech to the rifling.

I have an original flintlock model dated to 1839, in MINT condition ... that only has 0.003" gap at the forcing cone ... and doesn't do that!

Here's a detail of the flintlock breech:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:44:08 AM by Flint62Smoothie »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:34:29 AM »
That's a big gap and a dangerous amount of leakage. Jest about certain of that. Anybody measure the gap on that one? A revolver gas-burnt me once (not many folks forget the first time and manage to avoid a second  :P) and I don't think it was nearly as sloppy as seen here.   ;)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:34:55 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 01:02:05 AM »
Hall rifles were issued to the fort armory gun/smnith-officer with 'extra' bushings to take up wear and reduce the amount of leakage.

Oft times, civilians would end up with these after 'government sales' and never see a gun-smith after that.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
Which end did the ball come out...........if ever?
And I thought the gas leakage was great with a flintlock, especially a Brown Bess.
I am game to try anything, but after that image, I think I will stick to regular cap lock or flint lock.
You would definitely want to keep your facial hair away from that flame thrower.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
The reinforcing side straps were quite necessary.  You can see the flame blast out the sides as well as UP.

The soldier would sometimes get powder under the block in the stock cut-tout - sort of the same problem with the percussion Sharps.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V