Author Topic: Does this photo show “gas blow by”?  (Read 5216 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Does this photo show “gas blow by”?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 08:55:32 PM »
I’m with Taylor the fire is coming out of the touch hole, with only a light orange haze coming from the barrel. I’d be a lot more concerned about the touch hole size, than I would be about “blowby”.

Hungry Horse

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 10:26:29 PM »
I’m with Taylor the fire is coming out of the touch hole, with only a light orange haze coming from the barrel. I’d be a lot more concerned about the touch hole size, than I would be about “blowby”.
The Father primed the pan and probably used too much, as the touch hole is a new Chambers white lightning drill at 0.065”.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »
I doubted if you have a very fast ignition on your gun the way they should be. The bullet is gone from the barrel before the flash in the pan is halfway through it ignition and this pan looks like it is well into that so the Bullet is probably gone at this point.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
That is what I thought as well, Darrin - but am surprised there is such a small amount of flame at the muzzle - much more from the vent. That could be blow-by - or not. If not and is actual muzzle flash from behind the ball, it must have been a tiny charge and it seems most of it came out the vent. At that stage of vent blow, I would have expected the ball to be well gone, but see none of the normal bright muzzle sparks.
All this shows quite well on my monitor.  My old one, a much smaller 19" monitor would not show what I am referring to, very well.   As Dennis noted, enlarging the picture makes it easier to see.
Good to see you back on the board, Dennis.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V