Author Topic: Memorable Misses  (Read 17002 times)

swordmanjohn

Re: Memorable Misses
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »
I think my worse miss was 25 or so years ago when I lived in New York state hunting for doe with a .54 ML. The day was warm and the sun shining ..just the kind of day to sit near a tree and close your eyes . Not knowing how long a sleep I had , a doe came through a thick briar patch (also a favorite place to hunt grouse) and it had no clue as to my whereabouts. It was right in front of me about 25 yards away. So I calmly lifted my rifle and pulled the trigger. A miss? and to make matters worse, it just standed there for a minute  and very slowly walked away. When I got to my feet it was gone.

Edd

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 03:29:02 PM »
And another thing...whether its a miss or a hit, 'tis a mighty fine idea to immediately reload the muzzleloader. I waited a little too long to reload one time,  then just stood there with egg on my face,  while I saw a big whitetail slowly get back on its feet and slowly walk away.  If my frontloader had been quickly reloaded, I would have been offered a rested thirty yard shot in the open...

Edd

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 05:22:30 PM »
I don't have any misses that I can remember - because I don't want to.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 12:27:23 AM »
I never miss! I meant to shoot up into the woods behind the target and over the backstop. There was a wooly mamoth back there. Trophy you know.
Bruce

Offline Herb

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 06:05:50 AM »
I was hunting antelope about 6 or 8 years ago with my .54 Green River Leman.  Made a nice stalk on the best buck of about 60 I'd seen in three days.  Crawled up this little gully and got to within maybe 50 yards of him.  Reminded myself to hold low on the heart and not overshoot.  I shot under him.  So there I was, trying to reload while hiding behind a knee high sagebrush with the buck still standing there wondering what the $#*! was going on.  He moved off to about 80 yards and I missed him again.  Now, this was bad enough but Carney Pace was sitting back on the ridge watching all this.  I thought I would never live that down, but he has not heckled me about it.
Herb

northmn

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »
One other that pops to mind was not really a miss.  When I was younger and able to bog trot jump shooting ducks I had a mallard get up in front of me.  I shot at him three times and he kept flying.  Some guys in a canoe across the lake started to laugh and make a comment when the duck folded way out on the lake.  I had a mutt at that time that I trained to retrieve.  He made the prettiest long retrieve on a that duck you could ask for.  About the time I felt he had some redeeming features he dropped the duck in the shallows and would not pick it up again so that I had to get my tail wet to pick it up.  I sold that dog to a guy I worked with for $15.00.  I couldn't give him away but when I put a price on him he went quick.  That individual thought he was the best dog he ever owned.  Darn dog almost bit me later when I went to see the guy about something else.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 04:15:13 AM »
I thought I'd missed a shot once, but I was wrong, I hadn't missed.

Evil Monkey

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2008, 04:26:38 AM »
My most memorable miss was actually a miss-fire but it was with a ca'trige gun so I best not tell it here. My flinters never miss-fire ;)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
Could be considered a miss although it was a good hit!!

Past weekend one of the matches at Shartlesville was the once a year 200 yd offhand match on a Jaeger target closest to the X for a $100 bill! ;D

Shot eights - nines one kissing the 10 ring - Ol Bob Walker plunked in a solid 10 2 others shot 10s but not as tight.  I finally lobbed in a 10 which appeared to tie ol Bob's shot.... 

End of shoot the shots were measured and ol Bob (the lucky bugger) beat my shot by a frog hair!!    He went home with the $100 and I got an atta boy - no 2nd place prize!! 

So although it was a 'hit' it sure missed the $100 :'(