Author Topic: Priming flask inspiration  (Read 5533 times)

Offline msellers

Priming flask inspiration
« on: February 18, 2018, 01:54:12 AM »
So, while I wait for the frustration with my adventures in flat horns to pass so I can get repairs done. I decided to turn a piece of antler I had into a unique priming flask, and I am looking for some feedback and thoughts about a couple of options. First off, I bored the antler out to a 3/4 inch hole then realized the largest tap I have is 1/2. So trying to dream up a couple plug ideas for the main body/fill hole.  I am going to use the eye guard as the spout to fill the pan by making a spring type valve similar to European flasks. I am considering making the top plug and valve all one unit, but foresee problems with this setup in the future.  My original plan was to thread the antler and make a matching wood plug to thread in and form a seal using a leather washer in addition to the fit of the threaded plug. Also, trying to decide what to scrimshaw into the antler butt and small panel I am refining on the side.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:50:03 AM by msellers »

Offline msellers

Re: Priming flask inspiration
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 03:50:30 AM »
Pics added

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 05:04:00 PM »
Mike,
What about a metal cap on the end, rolled over the edge and pinned in place.  This could have  a hole in the centre with a screw -cap fitted.
Boring out that tine is a good idea. Larger towards the base and smaller at the tip.  The European style cut -off lever could be attached.  (Metal band around the antler shank)
If you don't like the idea of a metal top,  you could use a piece of antler, fit it so it goes inside a shade, and covers the top of the flask body where the hole is, and this could have a smaller hole drilled and tapped for an antler filler plug.

Just ideas....

R.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »
This priming flask was made by a builder on another forum from a deer leg bone and walnut.  There's no easy way to fill this one but it doesn't hold too much, anyway.  I like the way he used brass "tacks" to hold the wood to the bone.  4.75" long.  You have an interesting piece of antler that should turn out very good, IIHO.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

ddoyle

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:06:08 PM »
I would not carry anything in the bush that is pokey like that. Nice item for a range table but you'd only fall once with it before it bit ya.  They put brass tips on bayonet hangers for a well thought out reason!
I'd round that tine off and drill for a string.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:07:36 PM by ddoyle »

Offline msellers

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 02:03:58 AM »
I would not carry anything in the bush that is pokey like that. Nice item for a range table but you'd only fall once with it before it bit ya.  They put brass tips on bayonet hangers for a well thought out reason!
I'd round that tine off and drill for a string.
That was part of my plan, I cut the time back and drilled it out to act as a spout. However, I think it may still be a bit pointer than I would normally want. To hang it I am going to make a couple staples to set in the back of antler and clinch inside the drilled out antler.

Mike

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:18:52 AM »
I think I’d make a wooden cap, with a threaded wooden finial, like a miniature powder horn. Attach it with some iron or wood pins.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:53 PM »
 "while I wait for the frustration with my adventures in flat horns to pass"

What happened?

Tim

Offline msellers

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:28:52 AM »
"while I wait for the frustration with my adventures in flat horns to pass"

What happened?

Tim
Well, first off I got a bit over zealous with the mallet when driving my final wedge to shape and support while I pressed flat; so now I have about a 1 1/2 inch tear to make staples for and fix. Second, I had a bit of a cold spot due to the horn being a little thicker than the rest of the area; so I ended up with a crack occurring on the inside of the horn. Finally, I found an imperfection in the horn when I hit it with my heat gun trying to soften a cooling area as i was doing my final press before I scraped one last time to refine. So long story short being as stubborn as I am, I will have one very unique horn with quite the story that needs to be finished to cure said frustrations. 

It most definitely won't be even close to the quality of your work Tim, but it will be a conversation piece that could end up with any variety of back story when it is finished.

I have picked it back up to start repairing it a portion at a time, decided that pouring the thin spot/hole/imperfection with pewter might not be my best option after talking with you Tim. 

I will post pics the flat horn when I get it finished up, will include a couple before pictures also.

Mike

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 05:24:39 AM »
I'd put a little spring valve on that tine.  Makes it really nice to prime over the top of the gun.  Will reach right in with little fuss.
Think it'll be cool.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline msellers

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 08:37:10 AM »
Ok, so trying to decide which is more appropriate. I have seen mostly steel in period pieces and brass in most of the new pieces. I am fabricating a European style spring valve for the flask spout. However, most on the period type sheet that could have been salvaged to make this would be copper pots, and I have some copper sheet heavy enough for this, my prototype is being fabricated from reclaimed brass.  I have to still make the arm and spring, but here is an update. Including a rough idea of part of the scrimshaw. I am reading the tabs that hold the arm into a stylized acorn final shape.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 02:15:53 PM »
I like the sun engraving idea.  Best wishes,  Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 06:47:29 AM »
Mike,

Took a photo or 2 of one I started years ago and never finish'd.  Yes, I have used it, just never got at finishing it!  (Like a lot of other stuff)

All best,
Richard.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:44 PM »
Here are some photos taken in London last year FYI. Sorry the quality is not better, I had to make do with a cellphone camera.
Carl

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 11:04:13 PM »
Wow!, Thanks for posting. They are inspiring.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline msellers

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 02:38:21 AM »
Richard and Carl,

Thank you very much for posting those pictures and all the information.  That is some good inspiration and reference photos to make use of.

Mike

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 02:08:36 AM »
Mike, here is an idea to save the one you started on. I made this one about 2 yrs ago and as you can see it has a wood plug in the filler side with a drilled and tapped hole ( 1/2-13 ). I just drilled out as much as I could and then made the wood plug to fit the antler. Then it was just a matter of drilling and tapping for the filler plug which also is antler. The priming end just has a small whittled plug. I should go ahead and put a string on the priming plug so it won’t get lost.
But, anyway it’s a way to save what you have already started and I just hate to throw pieces away😁

Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline msellers

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 07:44:07 AM »
Mike, here is an idea to save the one you started on. I made this one about 2 yrs ago and as you can see it has a wood plug in the filler side with a drilled and tapped hole ( 1/2-13 ). I just drilled out as much as I could and then made the wood plug to fit the antler. Then it was just a matter of drilling and tapping for the filler plug which also is antler. The priming end just has a small whittled plug. I should go ahead and put a string on the priming plug so it won’t get lost.
But, anyway it’s a way to save what you have already started and I just hate to throw pieces away😁

Thanks, that is one impressive piece you have there. I am slowly working on getting it worked on more, as time and my young son allow me. It will have a piece of antler fitted as a plug where you used the wood. I already have it rough first and a 1/2 x 13 thread tapped. Am working on threading a piece of horn to make my threaded plug. Still working on other aspects as well. Hopefully will be able to finish this within the year.

Thanks again,

Mike

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 02:25:18 PM »
Sounds like you have it on the run. Let us see it when you finish.

Ron
Member of the CLA

Offline msellers

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 09:15:25 AM »
Here is an update on the progress I have made. Not much change, but further progression for certain. Antler top caps is set using pine pitch, then pinned with small brass nails to make a permanent plug. Need to remake my threaded horn stopper, as my last one stripped all the threads off just as I was finishing up that operation. This is my first attempt at totally freehand scrimshaw,  and feel it turned out fair at best but hey got to start somewhere. Went for a kind of stylized fraktur on the side panel with the rising sun base, year in Roman numerals, and them my mark to round it out. Will start making my European shut off valve once I get some more appropriate materials to work with. The salvaged range brass is just to thin to be feasible.

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement as I have progressed with this project.

Mike

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
I like the looks of the antler plug and cut-off spout.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 08:25:17 PM »
That's really nice!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:09 AM »
Man am I slow. Just saw your progress and I really like what you’ve done. Cutting threads on horn is a thankless enterprise. One time it works great the next time not so much.

Ron
Member of the CLA

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 07:50:43 PM »
I gotta order me a piece of antler so I can give your version a try. 
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...