Author Topic: How do you turn screw blanks on your lath?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
How do you turn screw blanks on your lath?
« on: February 18, 2018, 04:23:47 PM »
I find it hard to turn skinny screw blanks (#3,#4 and #5). They often bend/break in my lath. How do you solve this?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Bob Roller

Re: How do you turn screw blanks on your lath?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
I find it hard to turn skinny screw blanks (#3,#4 and #5). They often bend/break in my lath. How do you solve this?

Best regards
Rolf

Rolf,
I use 12L14,anAmerican steel made for screws. I have a small lathe that I
remade into a screw machine for short run screw making jobs.I made a
small run of 15 4x40's last week for the English style locks I am now making.
With this machine and the right material I have made screws small as 0x80.
I made these tiny ones .060 but haven't made any for several years.
The #4's are .109.The #5 is .120.The #6 is .130 which is the hammer screw
for my locks.I use collets for all the internal lock screws,American Morse Taper
#2 as well as shop made special collets for odd jobs as needed.
A Jacobs chuck is used for the hammer screw which is 3/8 (9.5mm) head
with the .130 or #6 thread. I use no 6x32's and think it's a weak thread by
being too coarse for the small diameter.No #8's in my locks ever.
One I nearly forgot is the 2mm screw for the link in the tumbler that hooks
the mainspring and I make them .080.
Send me your Email address and I will see if  Ican send you a picture of
this little lathe.

Bob Roller

Offline okawbow

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 05:00:46 PM »
I use a small live center and leave a little cone on the end of the screw as I turn the shaft down to size. I usually turn the threads on the lathe to about 90% and then cut the cone end off and run a thread die over to finish the threads.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »
Nice to see you are back making locks, Robert.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »

Best regards
Rolf
The best way to thread small screws on a lathe is to use a die. I use an adjustable die for screws up to 3/8". Use the tail stock to keep the die perpendicular to the screw shank and advance the die and tail stock together to keep everything square. P.S. use plenty of thread cutting lube. Good luck ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »
Rolf,

As Bob notes, I use 12L14 for all the screws I make.  I always hold the material in a collet (more rigid and precise than a chuck) and, depending on the length of the screw required, I do not have any more stock protruding from the collet than I need.  I get the cross slide and tool set so that a single pass will take the screw shank to the finished diameter but, for a long screw, I cut in stages.  Also, the closer you are working to the collet, the stiffer the workpiece... the bending force is being applied at the point of contact with the tool but the fulcrum of the bending is where the workpiece is held in the chuck / collet.  If you take multiple full length passes to get the shank down to final diameter, the work piece is thinner and more flexible each time.  If you can take the excess material away in a single pass, the workpiece remains as stiff as the starting diameter of the stock allows.

For example, when making a 8-32 lock screw, 2 inches or so long with a 3/8" diameter head, I start with the 3/8 round stock protruding from the collet about 1/2 inch.  I turn about 1/4 inch of length to the final diameter I want to get the tool / cross slide set to turn the right diameter.  I move the stock out about 1 inch and turn that much of the shank in a single pass.  Then I move the stock out another inch and turn that much more of the stock to final diameter.  Once the shank is to the correct diameter, with a die holder in the tail stock, I run the threads on the end of the shank, part off the screw blank, turn it around in the lathe and finish the head.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:41:22 PM »
 Like Dave 2 says with  sharp tools and light cuts for small sizes.  Cut in stages. I make screws as small as #1-72 thread.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:42:32 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:14:50 AM »
Thank you all for the input.
Dave 2 and Jerry, thanks for the tip on turning the thickness in one pass. I've been trying to do it With several light passes and that probly why the blanks have been bending/breaking.
'Best regards
Rolf