Author Topic: Synthetic Patch Material  (Read 2873 times)

DICKH

Synthetic Patch Material
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:05:10 AM »
     I keep seeing people say never use synthetic material for patching that it will melt in
your barrel.

The Bevel Brothers tested synthetic patch material and found that it didn't melt.What
they found,it was not strong enough and just blew apart.

Some cartridge shooters use Dacron polyester fiber as a filler in their cartridges and have
no trouble with melted Dacron in their barrels.

So does synthetic material melt in a barrel or not,has any one had synthetic material melt
in their barrel?

Richard Henderson

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Synthetic Patch Material
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:17:46 AM »
Never found a need to try it. Pillow ticking works perfect for me.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 05:43:19 AM »
I don't think I have ever shot synthetic material patches but have shot a ton of teflon coated patches that is made with a tight weave cotton canvas material. It's best to clean between shots with the teflon but it won't goop up your bore like poly/rayon/etc. blends have been reported to do. I only shoot the teflon in line type paper target matches and use Tracks mink oil on 11 oz. denim for all other shooting.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:00:43 AM »
The old contention about synthetics is they will melt onto the bore.  Since the Bevel Bros did not experience this, I can only assume they use what we think of as normal, snug loads.   If not

well, they're findings are very interesting- of course the question arises, were the patches the same thickness compressed?

If getting blowby and scorched or burned patches already, the use of the same thickness of a synthetic blend may indeed melt onto your bore - or more likely will melt onto the bore's fouling, but

not the steel itself as it will be dirty/protected with fouling),  perhaps making it harder, or chunky.

Taylor had some (low %) synthetic/cotton blend that measured .022".  It shot just fine with low powder charges, like 85gr.2F in his Virginia rifle using .495" pure lead balls. If he raised the charge

to 100gr.2F, the patches experienced burn-through on the grooves.

Straight denim at .021" or .022 did not burn with the 100gr. charge, but did show some minor scorching as the deep Rice grooves were not filled hard enough, - but - the 100% cotton did not

burn.  I took this to likely mean that the somewhat too-loose combination burned through due to the synthetic burning or melting with the higher pressures, while the 100% cotton was more

resistant to burning.

The accuracy was still good with the cotton, though not as good due to burn-through with the synthetic. Even though he/we got burn through and scorching, no wiping was necessary with either

patch material.

One other characteristic I noted with this partial synthetic material, was it was much stiffer than properly washed cotton.

The same day of those tests,  we tested that same partial synthetic material with a .508" ball and experienced no burning nor melting. Go figure. Makes sense to me.

edited to change .594" balls, to .495".lol
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:39:36 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline RichG

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 05:27:19 AM »
what about the old poly patches for RB. Looked like a plastic shotgun wad. If they were anything like shotgun wads you'd have to scrub out the bore to remove the plastic fowling.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »
Aren't we supposed to be traditional shooters? We should be using natural materials.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 08:30:29 PM »
     I keep seeing people say never use synthetic material for patching that it will melt in
your barrel...
Richard Henderson

Yes "synthetic material" is a horribly imprecise description of patch fodder, I have no doubt that some constructions of synthetic materials could possibly work without fail, but not all and not my concern.

Because there were none used then, and we have no absolute necessity to use them now in our replications-- as Cotton and Linen work wonderfully well. And we're a cat's whisker from being "off-topic".  ;)

in before the lock.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 01:34:01 PM »
what about the old poly patches for RB. Looked like a plastic shotgun wad. If they were anything like shotgun wads you'd have to scrub out the bore to remove the plastic fowling.
[/quote
I have been wondering when someone would bring up the "Poly-Patch" products. I still have partial bags of each type they offered, back in the mid-1970's when I was just beginning to shoot BP. There were 2 versions. One is only cupped for the ball on one end and flat on the other. The other one was cupped on both ends so that you could load "either end up" with the ball in it.
I found they loaded VERY TIGHT in my T/C barrel, especially after I had fired a couple of shots. Back then, I didn't know anyone who was an experienced BP shooter. My earliest experiences were all pretty much self-taught which explains (at least to some extent) why the T/C factory ramrod didn't survive my first trip out with my new rifle. :-[ It was in that period I saw the Poly-Patch products and snatched some up.
Lived and learned... ::)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »
Hard plastic or very minor amounts of polyester in cotton blends might be a mite different than using your wife's "step-ins" for patch material. ::)

As far as the RB poly 'patches' fouling the bore with plastic same as plastic shotshell wads, perhaps they do, or perhaps they don't due to being a

harder material? I don't know the answer to that as I've never used them.  I could see no reason to, as there is absolutely no way they could soften the fouling

or prevent fouling from building up.

When I clean my rifle barrels, the water only gets a gray look to it - clear, but gray. Even when pouring it out, it is only grey. Same with Taylor.

My smoothbore, when using patched balls, fouls the water a bit more, due to the choke and more fouling in the bore, but it does not excessively foul and never needs wiping while shooting.

The smoothbore when shooting shot, makes the water BLACK!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:55:49 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »
Aren't we supposed to be traditional shooters? We should be using natural materials.

Do that mean they gotta ride a hoss to the Rendezvous towing a pack mule??? ;D ::)
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 07:07:34 AM »

Do that mean they gotta ride a hoss to the Rendezvous towing a pack mule??? ;D ::)

Gotta feed 'em oats and grass too.  None of that horse-a-rina bag blend. :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 05:54:19 PM »

We do what we can to stay traditional which should be everything connected with shooting and cleaning. Some things aren't practical. Why do you even bother shooting an old style sidelock if you don't like traditional? A CF gun is much more efficient.

Truth is. I would much rather live in the high mountains where I would just need a horse and mule. I did once, but I got old and can't do it anymore.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:57:02 PM by OldMtnMan »