Author Topic: Show and tell - a relic for your thoughts  (Read 2751 times)

Online DaveM

Show and tell - a relic for your thoughts
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:16:13 AM »
Thought this would be fun to share - it is kind of a cool attic find.  It came from an estate sale at an old house in Bridgeport Connecticut where the family had lived since the 1700's.  There are remnants of feathers that the owner had jammed between the fore and rear of the triggerguard and the stock.  The lock and barrel are matching and likely reused from an earlier gun.  I still can't get the tang bolt loose to get the barrel off.  This piece looks like it had two holes used for sling swivels.  Any thoughts on what is left of this relic are appreciated.  Thanks!

fb upload image

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:21:01 AM by DaveM »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Show and tell - a relic for your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:45:50 AM »
Lock and barrel are mid 1700s. Sideplate, guard and buttplate date to time of re-stocking it up- probably 1820-1830 or so.
Andover, Vermont

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »
It looks like it was a workhorse and saw some good period use after the restock.

I agree with Rich regarding the date of the restock and the period from which the barrel and lock come from.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:03:41 PM »
Lock and barrel may be as early as 1730 and is Dutch/Belgian, made in Utrecht or Liege, I have the whole gun. You can see one of these in  Grinslade's book on Flintlock Fowlers on page #29.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

longrifle

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 05:30:19 AM »
Interesting old gun I agree it has been restocked but used quiet a bit after restocking.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:19:10 PM »
Dave M,

Definitely restock. The hardware looks to be from the Easton / Whitehall area, can you post some more photos of the barrel engraving?

Buck 

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
Here's mine.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online DaveM

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 01:26:46 AM »
Sorry, took awhile to get back, it's been a busy work week.  Here are some photos of the barrel.  I agree 100% the lock and barrel are early and restocked.  But I am fairly certain that the brass hardware was new on this stock - and since the conversion eliminated the forward lock screw, it appears to me that this was stocked as a flintlock.  I don't know much about rifles from the area, and wondered if this may be a fairly early restock with the high, heavy, defined comb and early type side plate (not the two-piece side plate) and the trigger guard without the narrow protrusion at the front.    All of the brass pieces match in color and the squiggle engraving.

Mike, I do see strong similarities in the barrel though yours is more fancy.  Mine has a top flat all the way to the muzzle.  Can you post photos of your entire gun?

Buck, your note about the Easton / Whitehall area is interesting, that was one thing I wondered if the hardware helps define the area.
Thanks for your replies

freeimagehosting

[/

[url=http://ibb.co/jc1vfx]

free unlimited image hosting