Author Topic: Hand stitched rasps. Are they worth it?  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Hand stitched rasps. Are they worth it?
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »
Do you folks have experience with Auriou or similar hand stitched rasps? Do you think they are worth the price of $100 or more each? Do they work well, and last longer?

Here is a video of how they are made. It's pretty fascinating.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Hand stitched rasps. Are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43:31 PM »
To me -- NO. I don't use rasps much so they are not worth that kind of money. I have two old 4-in-one rasps and a #49 & a #50 rasps and very seldom use them.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

ddoyle

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:45:58 PM »
A piece of 30 grit floor sanding paper glued to a backer is 1000% cheaper.

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:26 PM »
I used some Liogier hand stitched rasps that belonged to a very trusting instructor at a recent class. The were incredible tools and are well worth the cost if you like rasps. I will have to second what P.W. said earlier. I don't like rasps and don't own any, but they truly are great tools.

I much prefer a small block plane and my tiny luthiers planes - much more soothing to use, no dust, and no tracks to remove once you get to the shape you are after.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline StevenV

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:03:24 PM »
I have purchased both the Auriou and Iwaskai rasp/files in the last month, have to admit I got sucked into the comments surrounding both brands. Always looking for better files and these are supposed to be really good. Well I have a comment I use to determine the value of something in ones life, "would you buy it again". Doesn't matter what it is but if your answer is yes then obviously you perceive value in it at said price. I will not be purchasing any more Auriou rasp/files and yes to Iwaskai. I have already purchased more of the Iwaskai brand, I think they are great. The Auriou are good just don't think the price warrants the purchase. If you are looking for something to remove wood aggressively a good old horse shoe rasp I think is the best, just one flintlock makers opinion. Steve 

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:08:18 PM »
I have a Nicholson 49 and 50 and was satisfied with them until I took a gun stocking class. Like Sawfiler, the instrucor (Ken Gahagan) let me use his Liogier hand stitched rasps and they were significantly better. Using them basically ruined me because now I'll have to upgrade as I am no longer satisfied with the Nicholson!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 12:04:30 AM »
  I have two coarse Liogier hand stitched rasps (#9 and #10) and I'm very pleased With them. They are my main Tools for ruff shaping Stock blanks and Furniture parts after bandsawing the profile. They are much quicker and presis then my nicholsen #50 and #49, espesally when going on end grain (fitting but plates).  Plan to order a 25" number 6 rasp from them.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:48:27 AM »
I have two of the Auriou rasps, in my experience they simply don't stay sharp long enough for the premium price you pay. I also have several Iwasaki rasps and like them, they cut fast using little pressure to push them along. I would purchase those again. A Sawfiler mentions I too have begun to use hand plane's a lot more in the past year, keeping them honed is easy, and in those areas they can be used in do a good job of removing wood.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline helwood

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 05:23:25 AM »
Greetings,
I purchased a number of hand stitched rasps from Liogier a couple of years ago.   I really like them and Noel the owner was very helpful making the purchase.  He suggested some of the Model builder's line and they are great.    Later, Hank

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 11:50:18 PM »
I prefer the Liogier rasps over the Auriou rasps.  A good Nicholson #49 and #50 will also do the job which I have.  More recently I bought 2 rasps from Stewart Macdonald and am very pleased with them.  When I first opened up the package I was a bit dismayed as I was used to high quality nice shiny items from StewMac.  On first look at the rasps I almost sent them back but decided to give them a chance.  Pretty good hand stitched rasps considering I can't tell from the stampings on the rasps which Asian country makes them.
David

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 12:34:22 AM »
I have switched to Dragon rasps from available from Stew Mack
Dragon Fine 10" top, Dragon Coarse 10" middle and Nicholson #50 on the bottom
Kevin

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:35:33 AM by burnt »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline wmrike

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:40 PM »
I am finishing a rifle with my first Auriou rasp and have been v pleased with it.  This is a bolt gun set into Claro, so I don't know if that same statement will translate when working with maple.

I looked up Liogier on the web and see that they specify left and right hand files.  Can someone explain that to me?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 08:11:24 PM »
Hi Justin,
I use an old #49 Nicholson pattern makers rasp for probably 75% of the work shaping a stock blank.  As I demonstrate at Dixon's, I can rough out the wrist and lock area of a squared stock blank to the point of finer filing and scraping in about 1 hour using just the rasp.  My Nicholson is getting dull and I will send it out to be sharpened soon but not before I get a back up, which will likely be one of the French-made rasps.  I have never found a faster or more efficient way to shape a stock blank.  I only use planes to even out and smooth the forestock and the lock panel flats.  I am confident the French rasps will be as good or better than the old Nicholson.  New-made Nicholson's don't seem to hold up very long anymore.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »
thanks for the input, guys. I am a big fan of rasps. The half round especially. I might have to look at those Iwaski rasps or a Nicholson. Might be able to find an old one on ebay.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 10:18:37 PM »
Justin,

I have about as much experience as the wood I'm cutting...

But I bought a fine round Iwasaki... I fell in love.  I just got my extreme fine flat today.   

They cut extremely well and leave a nice surface. But you could easily rough out a blank with one I'd bet...they can remove a lot of wood quickly if you wanted.

Biggest complaint is the half round doesn't have a flat side like most...oddly enough the flat is sharpened on both sides....lol.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 12:24:17 AM »
I like the Auriou rasps.  In particular my favorite is the #9 grain cabinet makers rasp.  For coarser wood removal I have a couple of large un-marked rasps that do a good job.  I've had the Auriou sharpened a couple of times.  Yes, it would be nice if it wore a bit better, but I'm more than satisfied and wouldn't want to be without it.

Jim

Offline vanu

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 04:34:48 AM »
For what its worth, on the recommendation of several furniture conservators here in Williamsburg, I purchased a 9" cabinet and 7" modelers rasp by Auriou several years ago...never looked back, absolutely wonderful quality, so far not a problem with resharpening...have to admit though, I still use my great grandfathers ca 1890 farriers rasp for preliminary wood shaping...

Bruce