Author Topic: Holy smokes! I'm all thumbs!  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Holy smokes! I'm all thumbs!
« on: February 20, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »
First of all I tip my hat to the artisans who make some of the finest accoutrements I've ever witnessed!

I am not one of you.

I am flat out incapable of creating anything on par with the horns, knives, axes, and associated trinkets I see on here. I have made a few attempts at manufacturing my own gear. Results varied. Some were serviceable but shockingly crude. Others were abject failures.

If it's OK with you fellas I will stick with what I am good at... Knockin' the noggins off squirrels and making money to buy stuff made by people who know what they're doing.

You guys are amazing.

Mike

Offline 3 swans

Re: Holy smokes! I'm all thumbs!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 05:14:37 AM »
Hey mike. Take a class somewhere and go to some good shows and talk to the great makers . They are most helpful, you might be surprised, maybe your are not so bad after all. You are in with a good starting crew now .

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:22:22 AM »
Mike,

It would amaze you the things that I have considered garbage and was throwing in the scrap or trash bin that people have wanted because it was different and nowhere near perfect. I am by far my own worst critic and see every minor flaw. Once I got past having a flaw as junk, i started to enjoy making things again.

Mike

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 02:18:27 AM »
It is entirely possible for you to learn how to do it.  In my case it's a genetic deficiency.   :-[
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:06:44 AM »
I have some pictures of the gear I've made... But I can't remember how to post pics. I've done it before in PM but that's been a minute.

I would gladly share a few pics of my feeble attempts to try and keep this thread from wondering off topic.

Mike

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:02:32 AM »
Mike,

There's a new method for adding pictures.  Much easier than the old one.  Here's a link to the instructions.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43575.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:59:44 AM »
Thank you flinter

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
I'll attempt a trial run before I go full bore here...

image url

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »
OK it worked... Good grief, the camera on my tablet is lousy.

More to come.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:20:16 PM by Mike from OK »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 03:06:20 AM »
Just keep at it Mike. 

I personally think that knowing WHAT an item should look like before you make it is a real key.  That way you know if you are straying from the design, quality and execution you are after, and know to stop and regroup at that point. 

Also, shoot for 100% quality.  You may not make it, but if you shoot for 100% and miss it by 10%, that is still a good craft.  If you shoot for 50% and miss by 10%.....well.....not so much. 

I think that "Well, this is good enough" is the bane of real craftsmanship. Can you hear Taylor Sapergia, Dave Crisalli, Art DeCamp or Mark Silver, say, "Well, that is good enough"?   No, me either. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 02:42:22 AM »
I'm working on it Marc.

Most of the pieces in my picture above are akin to "proof of concept" items...

Can I even achieve a reasonable facsimile with tools/materials on hand?

The answer is yes.

Every item is functional and usable... With the exception of the powderhorn. It isn't airtight. I can blow in the spout and hear the hiss of air escaping around the base plug. I know what my mistake was and will correct the issue... Although I am somewhat proud of the base plug. I turned it myself from a chunk of walnut on my lathe.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 02:48:21 AM »
The flint wallet is probably the piece I am most proud of. It's nothing fancy. It serves one basic function only took a few hours. The stitching isn't perfect. But hey... It has my initials on it too. Lol

private image upload

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 05:12:00 AM »
Hey Mike,

I agree, that is a nice flint wallet.  Two thumbs up. 

On the powder horn, I have heard that melted bees wax, poured into the spout while rolling the horn will seal the air gaps.  Others may have better tricks. 

Everything I have made has lots of flaws.  That's what is pulling me forward....making something with less flaws next time around. 

It's pretty humbling seeing what my friends can do.  I am just thankful they share techniques with me. 

I HATE reinventing the wheel, and want to do good work right off, so I am not afraid to ask for help or advice.  :-) 

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 03:52:46 PM »
Mike...you're missing only one thing;  Training.

Almost everything artisans do starts off with some sort of apprenticeship, whether video or time spent.

Once you master techniques, then your work will get seasoned with your talents.

Maybe one of the most important things is not to get discouraged by your mistakes.

Go for it.