Author Topic: coin silver front sights  (Read 3927 times)

Offline sonny

coin silver front sights
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:53:57 AM »
Hello to all you crafty dudes. I was wondering if you guys have a source for worn out 90% silver content silver dollar to cut an make a couple of front sights out of them. I really don't want  a coin collectors 25 or 35 dollar collection coin.....sonny

Offline Elnathan

Re: coin silver front sights
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:23:31 AM »
Here is one place: https://www.jmbullion.com/silver/junk-silver/

Getting a single coin or two online is likely to cost a bit in shipping compared to the worth of the coin. Before ordering online I'd check the local flea markets, the local coin shops, and possibly pawn shops.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:19:49 AM »
My local coin shop sells junk silver as well, just have yo ask and see what they have.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:03:42 PM »
PM sent.

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 05:56:21 AM »
Slightly off topic.

When using coin silver for a front site, do you make it impossible to determine it is a coin?  Or do you leave some engraving on purpose so people will know?

Just wondering as I have commissioned a pistol and we are planning to use coin silver for front site.

Offline Ghillie

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 06:08:17 AM »
I always thought the silver front sight was the ultimate until about 5 years ago.  I shot a lot of black powder cartridge silhouette with a 74 Sharps rifle.  I took it to Kansas to shoot a buffalo and in preparation I found a lot of people talking about the attributes of a copper front sight.  I kind of took the recommendation with a grain of salt as I "knew" the silver was better.  I had use it on muzzleloaders for over 20 years.  Well after some coaxing, I made up a copper front sight from a pure copper penny and have never looked back.  The copper sight is far superior to the silver one.  It doesn't glare, picks up light and stays the same all the time.  If it dulls, just simply scrape the back of the blade slightly with a knife, piece of metal or rock.  Instant fresh sight.  It doesn't glare, looks good in subdued light or extreme bright light.  I'll never go back to a silver front sight again.  In fact my last early VA rifle completed not long ago has a copper front sight blade on it, love it!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »
If you are using an actual coin, I'd go for one that is appropriate to the date of the gun.  As in, an 1810 coin for the sight on a Golden Age rifle. 

I have silver front sights on my rifles.  The back surface on all are painted flat black.  Thanks to Daryl, I touch-up any wear with a black dry-erase marker.  Works well. 

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

TP

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 11:34:16 PM »
Hello to all you crafty dudes. I was wondering if you guys have a source for worn out 90% silver content silver dollar to cut an make a couple of front sights out of them. I really don't want  a coin collectors 25 or 35 dollar collection coin.....sonny

I can't understand the use of a silver dollar.  Why not use a silver quarter or dime?  I have used both and found them not only less expensive but quite adequate in size and thickness.

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 06:38:09 AM »
The reasoning for a silver dollar, is to find a coin with a heavier thickness, so I can cut, shape, an taper the thickness to make an easy front sight to pick up in 5:0clock deer woods an reduced overhead light. I could get a 90% silver quarter an solder two haves together to get what I am looking for, but an old silver dollar might give me what I need with out the extra soldering.......sonny

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 10:15:10 PM »
I had a friend who used a silver dollar whose date matched the +/- date of manufacture. He turned it so the date showed after he installed it.
Mark
Mark

Offline sonny

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »
I wanted a heavier base silver front sight blade, with a taper to a finer tip aiming point, an a taper front edge to reflect the over head light on the front blade. The silver dollar, I was hoping, would have a heavier base thickness without the soldering of two halves to get it. I also want to solder this silver sandwich to an iron base for dovetail mounting. I have one just like this on a 54 cal rifle, that is pure magic.............honest>>>>> PURE MAGIC !!!!!      sonny

Offline wmrike

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
In the interest of economy, doesn't anyone just solder a thin piece of silver onto the back of a regular sight, or are we talking aesthetics here?

Offline Dave R

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 04:07:37 AM »
On the opposite end of the spectrum Might as well try a double eagle gold piece while were at it!! That should shine pretty good!!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:08:35 AM by Dave R »

Black Hand

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 04:44:40 AM »
I also want to solder this silver sandwich to an iron base for dovetail mounting.
You may wish to consider a pin (through hole in the base, countersunk on the bottom and the pin from the front site peened) and solder.