Author Topic: Set trigger adjustment  (Read 2100 times)

Offline flint45

• Starting Member
Set trigger adjustment
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:31:58 AM »
I have excessive free play between the rear trigger bar and the sear bar. The triggers function, and trip the lock, but when unset, I don't like the excess free play. I cant see inletting the triggers deep enough to eliminate the free play, so  would it be acceptable to sliver solder some metal to the top of the rear trigger bar to take up the slack? I suppose I could heat and bend the sear bar, but sure as heck, I'll break it. Only my fourth rifle, so I'm still learning!

Offline Bill Raby

Re: Set trigger adjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
Solder some metal to the top then file it back until it fits perfect. Gets the job done.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:29 AM »
 I'm not sure what you consider "excess", but there should be some play between the rear trigger and the sear when not set. The trigger is supposed to strike the sear, not push it. Also one doesn't want the trigger to possibly affect how the sear engages the full cock notch and one can only be certain of noninterference if there is slack.
Okieboy

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
If you take your trigger out of the gun and watch the mechanism as you set it, I think you will see that the trigger bar needs a little room to rise before it engages. Also, if the bar actually touches the sear, it can make for a bad situation- The lock may not hold in the cocked position. Or, it might not hold securely enough. Test by cocking the lock, setting the trigger and tapping the butt of the gun on the bench top. If it won't hold at 1/2 cock, it could be the trigger bar is contacting the sear.

I think I'm saying the same thing as Okieboy. It's been over a year since I've had to do this so my description might not be acurate.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:25:28 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 08:43:39 PM »
It is quite acceptable for the back trigger to float with a lot of play before it strikes the sear bar.  There is no advantage to having the top of the rear triggers striker in close proximity to the sear.  When cocking the set triggers, as you pull slowly on the setting (rear) trigger, you will see that the top of the front trigger rises until it will finally drop down as the notch and hook engage.  This often interferes with the cocking action of the lock, with triggers that are set too deeply into the stock, or have triggers that are excessively high. 
If your trigger fires the lock, and does not interfere with cocking, I'd leave it alone...it's perfect!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline little joe

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:20:32 PM »
As Taylor said its working as it should. Perfect.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 12:28:44 AM »
I think it best to have a slight amount of free play but not no more than necessary.  More just means increased ignition time.

Jim

Offline flint45

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 05:44:52 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I will just leave it. It fires the lock perfectly. Once the rear trigger is set, of course you don't have the loose motion. I really love this site, and have learned so much from everyone's pictures and posts...Mike

Turtle

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »
 track and Chambers sell double set triggers with taller sear bars