Author Topic: barrel lugs location on a new england fowler?  (Read 4058 times)

Offline yip

barrel lugs location on a new england fowler?
« on: February 22, 2018, 06:06:21 PM »
 ready for barrel lugs, what the location of lugs on a new england fowler?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: barrel lugs location on a new england fowler?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »
ready for barrel lugs, what the location of lugs on a new england fowler?
Bottom side of the barrel.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yip

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »
 thanks ha ha

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »
So, depends on the barrel. I use the same approach for all guns that are not close copies of a maker’s style.

For the front lug I look at nosecap and front ramrod thimble and locate the front lug in between and closer to nosecap so it snugs up the nosecap good.

I place the one closest to the breech a couple inches back from the entry thimble.

Then I look at where the other ramrod thimble(s) are and try to stay out of their way. I go with 4 lugs on barrrls 44” or longer. I suspect for a 54” barrel I might use 5.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »
Yip:  you are lacking a plan or blue print for the gun that you're making.  If you had done the due diligence and created one, you could have answered your own question.  Sorry if that sounds harsh...it's just part of the whole process  as far as I am concerned.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline yip

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 11:33:02 PM »
 thanks guys,i have a 48" barrel and plan 3" from the muzzle and 8" from the breech and place 2 lugs in between them. i'm sorry for not doing my homework on this, this was just a experament and my first fowler hope things turn out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:49:12 PM »
If you need help laying it out; making a blueprint, let us know.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 12:11:49 AM »
Not trying to be harsh at all, hope " hope things turn out "  is not even a passing thought if you first lay out your design / plan on paper.  Paper and pencils are a lot cheaper than the materials you're otherwise working with.  I know exactly whether or not my front lock bolt will have enough room under the barrel and over the ram rod channel etc etc. Saves a lot of grief  :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 12:28:00 AM »
Exactly!  And 8" ahead of the breech plug for the first underlug is incorrect.  Make a full sized drawing, starting with an outline of the barrel on a sheet of paper..drafting paper or shelving paper is good.  Then draw in the lock plate.  Full sized images of most locks appear in TOW's catalogue...just trace it and transfer it to your blueprint.  With the sear bar drawn in as a dot on the lock plate, you can place your drawing of the trigger exactly where it will work best.  Draw in the web thickness you want between the bottom of the barrel and the rod hole...keep it slim (1/8") rod hole no more than 3/8".  Now the bottom line of the forestcock can be added.  And on it goes.  Drop at the comb should be ~ 1 3/8" and at the heel (optional, but ~ 2 3/4")  From your trigger measure back to mark your length of pull, and draw in your butt plate.  Draw in where you want your rod pipes...three upper and an entry pipe are nice on a 48" long barrel, but two upper and an entry are fine too.  NOW YOU can see where to place your barrel lugs and front sight.  This is enjoyable time well spent and will give you the confidence to say, "this is excellent!  This is going to work well!!  Instead of, "boy, I hope this works out."
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 12:32:13 AM »
Put one lug 4" back from the muzzle. That leaves 44" left of the barrel. divide that distance by 4 which leaves the rest of your lugs spaced at  11". Again, on the bottom side........
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 01:02:16 AM »
Hi Yip,
Keep in mind that the lugs and ramrod thimbles do not need to be evenly spaced.  Get them as close to even as you can but if you have to move one to avoid a thimble lug, do it.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Goo

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 05:42:12 AM »
I use rounded ones for round barrels ( on the bottom side of the barrel like Mike said spaced evenly and the 4 inches back from the muzzle keep the front sight back about 3 inches when you get to that part) 50/50 solder zinc chloride flux and tin the lugs with a thin layer of solder before placing them in position and heating.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Turtle

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
 To clarify, at least as I see it; The thimbles show so make them even--lugs don't so fudge them if necessary.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 03:39:43 PM »
Hi,
On many originals you will see that ramrod pipes and barrel lugs are not necessarily evenly spaced.  For example on both of my original English fowlers, the middle ramrod pipe is closer to the forward pipe than the rear pipe.

dave 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 04:30:51 PM »
To clarify, at least as I see it; The thimbles show so make them even--lugs don't so fudge them if necessary.
\
Unless you care about barrel harmonics.

Offline yip

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 04:39:07 PM »
 i care about harmonics thats why i ask pros questions, i believe lugs and ramrod pipes should be evenly spaced as possible,but how close should the lugs and r/r pipes be to each other?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 04:48:19 PM »
i care about harmonics thats why i ask pros questions, i believe lugs and ramrod pipes should be evenly spaced as possible,but how close should the lugs and r/r pipes be to each other?
Depends on many factors, length of barrel, length of lower forestock, number of pipes etc.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 07:43:01 PM »
\

Barrel harmonics in a fowler??? ::)  Please tell me you are being sarcastic, Mike.  You really mean harmonizing around a barrel of whiskey, right?

Turtle

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 09:19:02 PM »
I'm not worthy, but I do like harmonica music.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 03:27:15 AM »
\

Barrel harmonics in a fowler??? ::)  Please tell me you are being sarcastic, Mike.  You really mean harmonizing around a barrel of whiskey, right?
No, I'm serious.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 04:05:02 AM »
Hi Mike,
Then explain. 
dave

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 04:50:57 AM »
In a discussion last year with Wallace Gusler,  Wallace believes installing the draw loops was one of the very last things the old guys did.  He said in measuring original rifles he found the draw loops were seldom if ever evenly spaced.  They put them where they would miss the  ramrod pipes and then wherever else it was convenient.  In the originals I've examined I'll have to agree with Wallace.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 05:28:23 AM »
Behind Gunmaker's Hall at Friendship one year, L.C. Rice gave a talk on barrel harmonics.  He held one of his barrels up by a piece of wire thru the tang and gave it a smart wrap.  That barrel hummed like a tuning fork for at least a minute.  Barrel harmonics is a real thing, but don't ask me what to do about it.  I had to leave before L.C. was finished with his talk.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 06:10:21 AM »
Hi Guys,
We are talking about fowling guns not super accurate bench rifles.  So let's consider half stock fowlers or even rifles.  You have one or two lugs dovetailed or soldered on the first 12" of the barrel then a metal rib attached by solder, rivets, screws, for the other half of the barrel.  So how does that square with "evenly spaced lugs because of barrel harmonics"?

dave

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 02:41:36 PM »
Hi Guys,
We are talking about fowling guns not super accurate bench rifles.  So let's consider half stock fowlers or even rifles.  You have one or two lugs dovetailed or soldered on the first 12" of the barrel then a metal rib attached by solder, rivets, screws, for the other half of the barrel.  So how does that square with "evenly spaced lugs because of barrel harmonics"?

dave
With round ball barrels it's important, with shot guns I don't think it makes any difference.