Author Topic: Recommended twist rate for a .40 cal barrel, round ball twist  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Chowmi

Recommended twist rate for a .40 cal barrel, round ball twist
« on: February 23, 2018, 01:14:06 AM »
I'm about to order a few custom barrels for my next project. As such, I can choose the twist rate.

What do you guys recommend for twist for round ball for a .40 cal barrel about 43 inches long.

I don't ever intend to shoot conicals from it, so not looking for a compromise twist.

Thanks!

Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Recommended twist rate for a .40 cal barrel, round ball twist
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:44:24 AM »
1:48
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 01:49:17 AM »
Most makers these days go with a 1 in 48" twist with good accuracy in a .40, though the old Douglas barrels were 1 in 66" and were also very accurate.  My last few .40s have been 1 in 48" with excellent accuracy, and I wouldn't hesitate to own another such barrel.  I think that 1 in 48" barrels got a reputation as a compromise twist rate from TC when they picked that twist as the most likely slowest pitch with which to shoot conicals, and the fastest to shoot round balls.  They then rifled their barrels shallowly for conicals which probably hurt their roundball accuracy unless very tightly patched and kept very clean between shots. At least that is how I remember mine.  I have an old Douglas .54 1 turn in 48" barrel that will open your eyes for accuracy because of the deeper rifling. So if I were buying a barrel today, I would probably go with whatever twist the maker uses, and be confident in the fact that it is hard to buy a bad barrel from a "name" maker.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:48:21 AM »
thanks guys,
I suspected the consensus would be somewhere around 1:48, just wasn't sure.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 04:30:44 AM »
1:48
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
I use 1/48" on a hand-powered rifling machine, most of my barrels over the past 38 years have been .42 to .44 bore diameter. I expect, and with extremely rare exceptions, get 5 shot groups of less than .835" [the diameter of a nickel] off sandbags at 50 yards shooting round balls. I could do dime size when my eyes were young; now I don't carry anything smaller than a dollar bill  ;).

Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 07:35:00 AM »
I would let my bbl maker decide, those folks tend to be "in tune" to that subject and have a lot of study invested.   ;)

wp
Hold to the Wind

Offline retired fella

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
mr. young,
I can empathize about the eyeballs.  I'm in about the same situation but unlike you I don't have the dollar bill to poke holes in.    ::) ::) ::)

Treebeard

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 08:21:12 PM »
Back in my youth I had a DGW .40 kit rifle with 1-48 twist. When I did my part it would shoot 3 shot one hole 50 yd groups. .395 ball with pillow ticking for patch material.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 10:50:53 PM »
My .40 GM barrel is 1-48" and is accurate.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 12:34:05 AM »
Thanks fellas!

1:48 it is then!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA