Author Topic: Big Bore Allen boxlock sight question  (Read 1043 times)

Offline R Whittington

Big Bore Allen boxlock sight question
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:10:48 AM »
I’m build a 72 cal. Allen boxlock. The barrel is 1-1/4” tapered to 1”. 32” i’m Trying to decide on sights. I’m thinking of just an ivory bead, but I need suggestions. Thanks for your input.
Ric Whittington

Offline Carl Young

Re: Big Bore Allen boxlock sight question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:26:01 AM »
Hi Ric,
          My thoughts are that form follows function, in this instance what is the primary use of your rifle, hunting squirrels [you do grow them big in OH don't you? ;) ], dangerous game, target shooting, long range...? And a factor that increasingly limits me is a set of antique eyeballs. Then there may be desires for sights that agree with historical norms. And of course I always reserve the right to "break the rules" on my own guns and just do what I want to  ;D

Whatever you decide, someone here has done it and will have useful suggestions on what worked for them.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline R Whittington

Re: Big Bore Allen boxlock sight question
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:41:49 AM »
Main use will be to just knock over big S#!t. It’s rifled 1-104”. Maybe some small game with a paper shot cup, or RB for deer. Of course squirrels are our biggest game. LOL
Ric Whittington