Author Topic: Fightin’, Kickin’ & Scratchin’ – Shooting Bag Finished  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Marcruger

Fightin’, Kickin’ & Scratchin’ – Shooting Bag Finished
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »
Hi Folks,  I have finally finished my 3rd leather project, and I learned a lot.  I did not follow an original, but like to think that this would have been an English influenced bag from a coastal community.  Maybe to accompany a fowler.

Unfortunately, I learned a lot on this project because I made every part at least twice, and the straps something like 5 times. 

I know some of y’all have had this issue before, where it seems like every part of a project fights, kicks and scratches you.  Some projects are easy, some are hard.  This one was hard.

That said, I am happy with the way it came out.

The body is lightweight 2-3 ounce leather, and the flap is double thickness for weight and sturdiness.
I suspended the internal pocket so that there is just one line of stitching in the back.  That pocket is made from thin, soft leather.  There is a stiffener behind the top edge to give the bag body at the top.

My sincere thanks to Ron Hess, Tim Crosby, and Bob Hill for listening to me moan and fuss as I had failures.  Thanks to Bob also for the buckle.

A tip of the hat to the good Mr. James Rogers for ongoing inspiration.

Next project will be a hair-on calf hide bag.  Can’t wait to get started.

God Bless, and best wishes,   Marc

gif uploading site

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Fightin’, Kickin’ & Scratchin’ – Shooting Bag Finished
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »
 THAT, is a good looking bag, well done Marc.

Tim

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:48 PM »
A very nice bag from where I stand, especially the even application of the dye. 
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:35:39 AM »
Nicely done Marc!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 02:35:05 AM »
  As other's have said. Nice bag Marc

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 02:56:58 AM »
Great bag...I like the color, and the buckle is very neat!   My efforts are crude in comparison.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 03:05:43 AM »
Very nice.

Treebeard

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 03:17:36 AM »
Very nice bag— did you make the bucket?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 04:41:23 AM »
Hi Treebeard,

No, I did not make the buckle.  Bob Hill went to a reenactment and found some for me.  I just stripped and "antiqued" them (the easy part). 

Period 18th century style buckles certainly aren't easy to find these days.  James Rogers makes some gorgeous "one offs" for his bags, but I have yet to master the technique. 

Wider ones and narrower ones can be found, but in the 1" to 1-1/4" width it's sparse.  If anyone knows of a good source, I am all ears. 

Thank you to all for the boost. 

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
Marc, does the trim or border along the edge of the flap fold around the edge from to back? If so, how do you get it to do both that and follow all the curves of the edge without wrinkles?
I'd like to add some sort of binding like that to the edges of the flap on some of my bags, but haven't been able to work it out in my head how to accomplish it.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 02:34:10 PM »
Hi Dave,

No, I am not that talented.

What you are seeing is a line scribed around the flap to give my pattern something to terminate against.  Between there and the edge is the stitching. 

I contact cemented a 2-3 ounce backing piece of leather to the 4-5 ounce front to add stiffness, weight, and clean up the look.  I then sewed around the edge.  Next I edge skived the flap, wet it, and worked a lot at smoothing and rounding the edge.  I don't think you can do this on oiled, pre-dyed leather.  It'll be too flexible to take a good edge I am afraid. 

I am currently working on learning edge "binding" (I don't know the real term), and it seems to require thin, flexible leather.  I have no idea how you'd get it totally smooth without stretching and glue work. 
The photo below is my first attempt at a "bound" edge, on a hair-on calfskin small bag.  I am okay with it. 

Maybe some experts can weigh in here.  I am an expert at knowing my limitations!   :-) 

God Bless,   Marc

Online snapper

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 04:24:58 PM »
Is there a reason that you don't dye the back side of the strap?

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 05:09:51 PM »
Very nice Marcuger, I like everything about it, including the craftsmanship!!!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 01:31:15 AM »
Thanks Marc. I appreciate your sharing the info and your time.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 01:59:43 AM »
Hi Dave,

I think that is what this is all about - sharing.  That way everyone has a good time and we perpetuate this interest and history into the future.  My dad and James Rogers shared a ton with me, so I am happy to share. 

Fleener, That strap reverse is indeed stained, it is just not stained dark brown.  The color is a bit washed out by the sun in the photos, but it is certainly not raw. 

My take on straps is this - it all comes down to a decision.  Do you want the back dark?  Do you want the edges finished? Do you want detail border lines or tooling on the front?  Do you want oil and stain on your clothes?  I spent the last month or more working through these very issues.  Here's what I discovered:

1) If you stain toolable leather on the suede side to a dark brown, it will take close to a full bottle of dye, and that dye will definitely transfer onto clothes, unless sealed.  The sealant (to my eye) takes away the suede appearance, leaves a shine and is a compromise at best.  At worst it is a mess.  The coatings also stiffen the leather. 

2) You can use vat dyed flexible pre-finished leather, but on these you cannot get really finished edges, nor can you tool a border line.  I went through tons of hides at the leather shop, and asked their experts.  Nothing fit my needs, and there was much to choose from.  Maybe I am just fussy on what I want the strap to look like. 

3) The option that seems to work for me is to do the oil and dye process on tanned leather.  I can tool the border lines, round & hard finish the edges, dye the front to match my bag, and then work on the suede reverse.  I was shown this by the girl Alyssa at the local leather shop.  I rub in a coat of neatsfoot oil and let it dissipate.  This rejuvenates the stiffened tanned leather and gets it ready for dye.  I then mix neatsfoot with light brown oil dye, and wipe on a thinned coat on the suede.  The neatsfoot oil thins the dye, and is the medium that prevents streaks and splotches. I let that dry.  I then build as many coats as I want.  No streaking or splotches.  Also, when done, this finish does not wipe off onto clothes.  I check this with a white paper towel and vigorous rubbing.  That said, I am pretty sure that if I dyed this to dark brown, it would come off due to the plethora of dye needed to get the dark color. 

So, it is up to you and what you find important.  If a bag is going to hang on a peg with a rifle over a fireplace and never move, then I guess dark brown dye would work fine.  I hope folks will some day use my bags, and I don't want them cussing me for oil and dye on their expensive reenactor clothes. I also know what I want the finished bag and strap to look like. 

If someone has a better mousetrap, I am all ears!  I am not expert at anything, and am always happy to learn a new and better technique. 

I cut and wasted probably 7 or 8 straps this last month.  I am glad I found at least one technique that works for me. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,  Marc

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 02:21:15 AM »
On the note about the back of the strap. Somewhere recently I read that bag straps, belts,  and such things, from the colonial American time period were usually not dyed on the back. Also I seem to recall being told not to stitch across a strap, that it would be more likely to tear out. Would like to know your thoughts, and those of your dad and James Rogers, as I see your strap is stitched across.

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
Well done. The dedication to redoing things you were initially unsatisfied with shows in the final product.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 10:04:33 PM »
Marc you did great along with an A for perseverance in getting the details right.  As soon as you learn more techniques with practice your work (and your confidence) with soar.  Appreciate your right step towards 'Craftsmanship'.  Keep up the good work.
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."