Author Topic: Match lock plans  (Read 6638 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Match lock plans
« on: February 24, 2018, 01:30:25 AM »
Ok, got the bug to build a matchlock.
Does anyone have drawings, plans for a matchlock lock, or complete match lock.
I guess even a complete lock for sale.
Any help?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline JCKelly

Re: Match lock plans
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 03:46:06 AM »
A worthy project. When you build a matchlock you indeed build it from scratch.
The one guy who does such here is Pukka Bundock. Search his posts for inspiration.

The one human being of our times who knew more about matchlocks than anyone -,period - was the late Michael Troemner, of Bavaria. Log on to vikingswords.com and search for posts by his site name, "Matchlock" I do not recall if you can search without being a member. No problem joining, but it may take a couple of weeks for them to decide on you.

Match locks come in roughly three varieties. An early 16th century one might be a "snapping" lock, in which a piece of punk (remember your evil childhood? Ask Daddy? Ask Grampa?) moved forward into a pan to light things up. These things are reliable and good for target shooting, and I believe Bundock has recently posted his building process. Later military and civilian guns used a burning rope, moved toward you. These include what the first guys in Jamestown and in Plimoth used. Simpler to make, I think. 

I made one roughly 40 years ago. Used a rifled barrel. Took it to the Canoe Shoot in Michigan that year, all those hairy guys wearing tomahawks laughed at it - will that thing shoot?
I never shot better there, slowly squeezing that glowing, spitting cord into the powder pan. Hit the gourds slowly floating down river; also the thing did indeed go off. Heard a lot of "click click @#$!!&^% down the line. Not me. When ya gotta burning cord and some black powder you may be assured that there will be some manner of explosion, somewhere, sometime.

For your matchcord do NOT soak rope in saltpeter. I did, as I knew no better. Old ones were linen or hemp boiled in potash (potassium carbonate) to dissolve away the lignin, for a better glowing ember.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:53:11 AM »
Thanks JC!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline vanu

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 04:50:30 AM »
Around 1972-74 there was an article in either The AmericanRifleman or Guns & Ammo where the author detailed making a matchlock using an iron water pipe and copying a tiller operated English matchlock musket of the form JC noted as being in early 17th century North American colonies. That article prompted me to try making a lock which was of limited success, but was I way too cautious to bolt it onto a sewer-pipe!  Anyway, after several moves the lock was lost, and even though my thesis was on 1st qtr 17th century arms in Virginia, i failed to follow up on that early try at a matchlock. I always regretted not building a matchlock, and having for that past 35 years focused on the American Longrifle, I've decided to revisit the matchlock. Richard has built a wonderful bench copy of a snap-lock which really is an inspiration...I'm heading to the collections in Richmond to draw the Matchlocks of my (grad student) youth that were recovered archaeologically and make copies in bloomery iron...this may prove to be the newest chapter in traditional muzzle loading arms!

All the best,

Bruce

Offline Jim Jackson

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 06:19:32 AM »
Hey Dane,sent you a couple,hope they help. The Rifle Shop has some good pics also.
Growing old is mandatory,growing up is optional.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »
I found this. Try pdf  Matchlock Musket ca. 1600 - Feuerwaffen.ch

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »
Have you decided which matchlock you're going to build?  From what I gathered, The English, Germans, and Swedes all had distinctive styles no different from their muskets 150 years later.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »
A Very worthy project, Smallpatch!

I don't know why, but I get all excited when someone mentions matchlock. LOl!
Very good advice from JK Kelly above, and no, you don't need to be a member to search on the forum he mentions.
That forum will show you more details than you can get your head around. 

Must say though, it would be a mistake to buy a lock;
Make one and the satisfaction is worth the effort! 
Very easy to make as well.  Got your PM, and will get back to you this eve.   :-)

All best,
Richard.

Edited to add this link;

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7524&highlight=matchlock+chronology

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:32:02 PM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »
Dane,
Several years ago I was able to disassemble, photograph and draw a beautiful matchlock made by Jergen Kreckel.  It was a tiller operated fishtailed stock English matchlock.  I hand made the lock which was easier than I had thought.  I have a full size drawing and more pictures.  Email or PM me if interested.
David

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:19:45 AM »
David,

A very clean lock you have there!
I think it's the first I have seen with a bridle to the 'tumbler'.

All Best,
Richard.

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 08:07:58 AM »
David do you have any plans/dimensions for that?Nice work.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »
I think if we blow a lock up on the screen to actual size, we can use that as a guide.  Just make it look like the one we have chosen.
I trace the lock off the monitor to have something to go by.

BTW, we do not have to use new rolled steel. Any old half rusty iron will do.  as long as bearing areas run smooth, the rest can be a bit rough and yet work Perfectly.  I used old iron on the last lock, and it is as slick as can be, but looks rough.  I Like it that way!  :-)
Just get creative and do your thing.  :-)
No-one can say a matchlock is altogether wrong, as most are very individual pieces.   :-)

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
Pukka,to a newbie like myself I wouldn't have the first clue of dimensions.I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment to make a lock,but I've never handled a matchlock before.

Any kind of dimensions or sizing would be great.

My other question-What of the pan.Is it it's own piece or is it on the barrel?Where do you get this at or is it made as well?

Edit-After searching vikingswords.com,I see what you guys mean about lots of variations!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:01:11 AM by vtmtnman »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 09:04:25 AM »
VTM,

I smiled at your edit!  Yes, lots of different breeds there. :-)

Some of the early pans were attached to the lock -plate, then later , pans were dovetailed into the barrel, then later again, went back to the lock plate.

In the threads you saw, I think a good few give dimensions.   Sorry I don't have any. I do have locks, but as I made them, they may not be exactly right compared to originals.  I'll see what I can turn up, but David may have some accurate measurements for his lock, above.

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »
Any dimensions you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.I will be searching Vikingswords.com more as well.

I've wanted to try my hand at a flint lock but these seem the way to get started.Alot simpler to fab.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »
If you make a snap-lock you'll love it!  :-)

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »
David do you have any plans/dimensions for that?Nice work.

The examples of matchlock plans and photos shown generally run between 7-1/2" to 8-1/2" long for the plate (the exact size isn't critical - make parts to fit).  The photos that David Rase shows can be printed and scaled to about 7.5" or 8" easily and the same goes for the plans shown by Adrie Luke.  Adrie Luke plans uses a trigger in the stock to fire whereas David's photo uses a tiller to actuate the serpentine.

Looking forward to your progress if you decide to build a match lock.  Mike
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:54:48 PM by Gunnermike »