Author Topic: Thumb piece on flintlock pistol  (Read 1576 times)

Offline sydney

Thumb piece on flintlock pistol
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »
Looking for help on how to install a thumb piece
  Thanks   Sydney

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Thumb piece on flintlock pistol
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »
Show us a picture of the thumbpiece Sydney.  If it has piercings, inletting it over the curve of the wrist can create issues.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline sydney

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 12:44:45 AM »
Hi Taylor   PM sent

Hemo

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »
Since this topic came up anyway, here's something I was always curious about--what is the function of the thumb piece? Obviously, it's just decorative, or could serve as a surface to engrave the owners initials, regimental markings, etc. When did this detail start being used? Is there some kind of magical good luck hex associated with rubbing your thumb over a piece of silver just before taking a shot? I attended a course at Dixon's a couple of years ago on the construction of original Lehigh Valley rifles, and it was noted that many thumb pieces on Lehigh guns were made with a silver coin of a specific date (1813 or 1814 is my recollection) and that a square cavity is often found cut under the coin, purpose uncertain--maybe to hold a drop of holy water or bible verse on a piece of paper. Anyway, this is a bit of lore that always piqued my curiosity. I'd like to know more.

Gregg
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:23:03 PM by Hemo »