Author Topic: Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders  (Read 6805 times)

saltland

Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders
« on: February 25, 2018, 01:15:43 AM »
What's there reputation like....hopefully better then the rifle shoppe?

Offline Shovelbuck

Re: Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:11:03 AM »
I bought parts to build a fowler from them about ten years ago and they were easy to ask questions to and fast shipping.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:18:49 AM »

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 03:11:49 AM »
I ordered a NW tradegun kit for my wife to build. The stock came with the barrel and lock inlet. Only problem was the barrel was inlet 1/2" too far back in the stock. Had to fill a big gap with acraglas to make it work. They only offered another stock "at cost plus shipping"  Saving maybe $10.  Not doing business with them again.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 04:40:12 AM »
  Justin you learned a hard lesson. If it helps I learned that lesson too. Maybe this will help others.
  Like you I will not do business with them again.   Oldtravler

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 05:26:30 AM »
Ordered a Lehigh and spoke with them on multiple occasions before purchasing about 7 years ago. Was suppose to have Getz barrel and inlet for Silver lock and Dubbs buttplate. Barrel inlet ok. Barrel turned out to be used Getz barrel with staple lugs and touch hole already drilled! Was so upset, never contacted them again. Still wrestling with the build but skeptical about rest of it, i.e. inlets for lock and buttplate. Wished I had purchased a Chambers kit instead. Again lesson learned and at the time did not know about ALR forum. Wish I had! Like oldtraveler and Justin, will not do business with them ever again. Good luck.
elkhorne 

Offline Sandy

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
I had put together a CVA Hawken kit, a Dixie dbl bbl shotgun kit and a Lyman Great Plains kit. I thought I was ready to move up a bit and ordered a flintlock SMR kit from them. Some inletting was way, way off. Tried contacting the owner and never got a reply. Finally got it built and it shoots. The rifle that came out of the kit from $#*! was named Satan upon completion. This time I'm going with a kit from Jim Kibler.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 06:53:15 PM »
Hey guys,
Here is something a guy a whole lot smarter than me had to say about these type of situations.

Here's what I think guys..since we dont want to be a forum where people get bashed and flamed.... :o. its fair to describe a problem or challenge with a purchase without making a personal attack..........Someone may be able to help you fix the problem...... :)., even better if you just deal with the supplier...  its always more useful to talk to someone rather than about them. :) :)....... we all have reputations and those reputations get built as much by what we say and do as what others say about us.......
Be VERY careful about generalizing from one bad situation........one mistake doesn't necessarily mean there will be many more.... Give the person you purchased from a chance to be a hero and make it right for you.......If I had listened to all of the negative whining about suppliers on the web when I started building guns I would have had to make every part myself..... I am too old for that....... and I would have missed out on some great items and terrific friendships........  Be very wary of steering folks away from a supplier/competitor as what goes around comes around.... :'(

you can leave your offering at the door..... I am done preaching.....
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 08:16:16 PM »
I bought the major parts for a longrifle I have been planning on building for years. I bought a Siler flintlock, Davis triggers, a custom .40 cal. Straight barrel, and a pre-inletted stock, along with some sand cast hardware that was on close out. I have $500.00 dollars tied up in this project at present. This is about as cheap as it gets unless somebody gives you the parts. If I knew then what I know now, I would have spent a little extra and got a kit from Chambers, or Kibler. There’s a reason you hear them praised again, and again, on this and other forums.
 If you don’t hear good things about a business in this hobby, it’s usually because those that have been burned are embarrassed to admit they were a victim.

HungryHorse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 09:52:16 PM »
Ok folks you’ve got some data points.  Locking the thread.
Andover, Vermont