Author Topic: Building an English Fowler FINALLY FINISHED  (Read 47243 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Building an English Fowler (Spider Sight added for David R)
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »
Hi,
I decided to mount a silver "spider" front sight that was often used on British guns.  The first step is to mark the center of the barrel top just behind the muzzle.  Most British fowlers have sights very near the muzzle rather than set further back. Borrowing a method described by BJ Habermehl, I lay the barrel on a flat surface with the top flat down. I slide a file under the muzzle where I want to position the sight and draw it back. That marks the exact center of the round barrel.  Next I cut my spider from 0.016" dead soft fine silver sheet. I start with a 5/8" square of silver and scribe lines from each corner to find the center. I drill the center and square the hole (about 1/8" square hole) with a needle file. Then I take of lump of silver sprue from one of my casting jobs and file it into a rectangular shape to be the sight. I file the bottom to fit through the square hole in the spider. I eventually will peen over the excess on the underside to lock the sight in place. Either using files or a jeweler's saw, I shape the spider forming the legs around the scribed lines.  However, as you bend the spider to the barrel, the legs will angle forward distorting the nice perpendicular cross so file the legs so that they appear to angle back a little before fitting the spider to the barrel. I place the spider on the barrel so that I can see my barrel center mark through the square hole.

I fluxed the barrel and underside of the spider and solder it in place with TIX low temperature solder. That holds it in place so that I can get a good tracing of the spider with a scribe.  That is critical because that tracing and eventual mortice will form the final shape of the spider. I heat the spider to take it off and begin cutting the mortice.  I outline the spider first with a small square and then remove the metal within the outline with large, small, and tiny flats. Once the metal is removed, I clean up the edges with a tiny flat and then undercut the edge with a knife edged graver. When creating the mortice, it is easy to remove too much metal under the body of the spider, creating a flat spot under the sight. You want to preserve the curvature of the barrel and avoid a flat so cut carefully.  The mortice is very shallow.  At the location where the peened jug on the sight will protrude on the underside of the spider, I drill a shallow hole in the barrel to accommodate it.

I fix the sight to the spider and peen it tight. I check that the spider fits into the mortice. Don't worry if it is a little smaller than the inlet because you are going to tap and expand it.  I tin the mortice with small amount of TIX solder and then place the spider in the mortice. Starting with the body of the spider, I tap the silver with a small hammer to start driving into the undercut. I anchor the body first and then work down the legs. After tacking it with the hammer, I tap it with a punch to further expand it.  When that is done, I heat the barrel from the inside with a mini torch to allow the solder to flow.

Then let cool, wash off excess flux, and file, sand, stone, the excess metal away leaving a nice spider sight.

I have to clean up a little solder and polish things.  When the barrel is browned/blued the silver will show up very nicely.  I'll leave the sight blade high and rough until I shoot the gun.

dave
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:38:32 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

greybeard

« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2018, 09:26:55 PM »
you are ammasing DAVE  Bob

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2018, 12:37:01 AM »
 Neatly done Dave, very clean. I always seem to end up with a mess when Soldering, combination Solder/Flux in all the Wrong Places. You mentioned; "I have to clean up a little solder", how do you do that?

Thanks, Tim 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2018, 12:42:04 AM »
Hi Tim,
Use an old skew chisel as a scraper.

dave

Iktomi

« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2018, 03:07:08 AM »
That spider sight is slicker 'n a peeled snake.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2018, 04:13:11 AM »
Thanks Dave! Now to build my nerve to start chiseling a barrel. I think this may be one of those jobs that might have been easier on a wrought barrel. Do you use a mandrel in the bore while chiseling?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
Dave,
that's really nice work. 

Thanks for posting this build-along.  I have been watching it all closely.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »
Thanks for looking folks,
David R, no you do not need a mandrel in the bore.  If you have to hit your chisel gravers sufficiently hard to damage the bore, something is very wrong. Keep them sharp and the inlet is very shallow, about the 0.016" thickness of the silver sheet. 

dave

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2018, 06:16:22 PM »
Tim, you can eliminate SOME of the soldering mess by rubbing the area outside the solder spot with a pencil lead.  The graphite will prohibit solder from sticking.

Craig
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »
The sight installation is interesting.  How do you plan to finish the barrel?  Browned, maybe?
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2018, 10:23:08 PM »
Hi,
Again, this is taking a while because I have other guns and repairs to work on.  Well, I needed to decide what to do about a finish for the barrel. This was not an easy decision and historical guidance is unfortunately, largely speculative for the first 3 quarters of the 18th century. I believe most British fowling guns made during 1730-1760 had barrels that were simply polished bright and some likely were rust browned.  John George wrote in his book "English Guns and Rifles" that rust browning began to be used in the early 18th century.   However, it is not clear how British makers handled foreign-made barrels that might already be colored.  The key books by Neal and Back show several guns with Indian, Turkish, and Spanish barrels that were either browned or blued. We know from writings by Isidro Soler and the 3 brothers who wrote "Espingarda Perfeyta" that Spanish and Portuguese barrels were "heat", "fire", or "charcoal" blued. I think our best modern approximation of the process is "charcoal" bluing.  However, I have no idea if a Spanish barrel purchased by a Brit was already colored or bought in the white.  The bright polished Spanish barrel examples shown in the same books I mentioned above are not necessarily historically accurate given the penchant for over polishing common in Britain. However, some of the browned and blued barrels shown in those same books could be done later in the life of the gun.  So what to do?  I suggest that many British makers and clients probably admired the gold and silver inlays on their Spanish barrels and would want to show them off by having the barrel browned or blued, if the barrel was not already blued by the Spanish maker. The Spanish barrel on my original Heylin fowler appears to be browned but that could have happened later. I decided that my barrel was going to emulate one that had been charcoal blued but I was not going to expose my barrel to that process. Indeed, I am not set up to do charcoal bluing.  Instead, I polished the barrel highly and then applied LMF browning, which I carded aggressively until the brown color was polished in the metal, not on top.  That gave me the chance to see how I liked the look of rust browning with the silver inlays and spider sight.  I decided a dark blue would be much more stunning so I then boiled the barrel in water to turn the brown, a deep dark blue.  Then I rubbed it back aggressively with coarse canvas such that the bluing became slightly translucent.  Then I heated the barrel and painted it hot with boiled linseed oil, let cool, and then buffed hard with canvas. It came out pretty nice. I cleaned any oil out of the maker's stamps with acetone, and gilded them.  Finally, I coated the stamps with a little lacquer to protect the gold leaf.  I kind of like the effect and while it does not match charcoal bluing, it gets closer than typical rust bluing.   

dave

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: June 18, 2018, 10:45:36 PM »
Stunning
Andover, Vermont

Offline PPatch

« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2018, 03:06:15 AM »
Unreal. But it is real, and Dave you have produced one of the finest tutorials ever posted here on ALR. Congratulations sir, extremely fine work. Thank you for all the effort that went into documenting and posting your build. Awesome!

dave 
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2018, 04:24:57 AM »
Ditto ppatch’s comment
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »
The barrel finish is Very nicely done, Dave.   Lovely work!

A simple nitric brown was sometimes or quite often done, but this looks far better, and without the risk of scaling the bore with charcoal bluing, where you must keep the temp. below 600F.
Fire-bluing is beautiful, but Very hard on the eyes!

Best barrel job I've seen in a long while!   

Richard.

PS,

Was it Edward Newton, in GBG, who made the barrel of spring steel...and it is still in its original blue?  It looks like glass.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:38:39 PM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2018, 10:10:42 PM »
Thanks for looking folks and the kind comments.  I do enjoy doing this but I have had to slow way down because of other obligations (I'll be posting progress on a late flint English rifle fairly soon).  Richard, I went back to GBG to check and yes, it was Edward Newton who made the hardened and tempered steel barrel. I wish there was a color photo of that gun!

dave

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #216 on: June 21, 2018, 12:40:00 AM »
The barrel is stunning.  I'm surprised that the barrel bands aren't finished to match the barrel.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:43:48 AM by SingleMalt »
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2018, 03:58:25 AM »
That turned out really nice, Dave.  Love the contrast between blue & polished...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2018, 02:51:19 AM »
Dave,
Looking forward to seeing your gun up close and personal.  I am assuming you will have it at Dixon's.

David Price

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2018, 03:17:35 AM »
Is that a hand forged lock?
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #220 on: July 01, 2018, 03:02:27 PM »

I  have made quite a few stocks with walnut from Goby - he has really nice wood.

Really admire the  work you are doing, and the effort to make it historically correct.

Keep posting those wonderful photos, please.

Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: July 01, 2018, 05:52:12 PM »
Hi Craig and thank you,
I will be posting more soon.  I had to put the fowler aside to work on other folks' guns.  If I was not so sick in Feb and March, I would definitely have finished the fowler long ago. Unfortunately, the lost time forced me to give it a lower priority with respect to work for clients. I am simultaneously building a late flint English rifle and a New England fowler. I'll post those guns too in a few weeks.

dave

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #222 on: July 01, 2018, 06:12:01 PM »
Dave, I can appreciate your health slowing you down.  The dadgummed spinal arthritis really slows me, and now I am looking at triple bypass surgery and repairing an aneurysm by the left ventricle.  Should be done in Cleveland on 7/16.  Old body is really letting me down - thank Heaven for the VA here in Ohio.
Then I can get more done on this Rupp design I am working on.
You have given me a wonderful look at some of the things that make a rifle stand out, and showed me how to do those things.
Was tickled by your wire inlays on the wrist area - simply magnificant!

Craig
Craig Wilcox

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Building an English Fowler FINALLY FINISHED
« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2018, 01:08:08 AM »
Hi,
I finally got back to working on the fowler and finished it.  I had to put it on the back burner for quite a while to get work done on other folks' guns.  I am scrambling to get thing ready for Dixons so I won't offer much narrative at this point, just pictures.  When I get back I will do a post on some of the details and some final thoughts on building a mid-18th century British fowler.  I'll have the gun at Dixons so come visit us at the ALR tent. Enjoy.

dave

n stephenson

Re: Building an English Fowler FINALLY FINISHED
« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2018, 02:28:48 AM »
SUPER!!! ;D Simply SUPER!!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:22:29 AM by n stephenson »