Author Topic: Need ID on mule ear  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Bill Weedman

Need ID on mule ear
« on: February 26, 2018, 05:37:48 PM »
This is a rifle I picked up at Princeton and I would like to know the makers name. It is unmarked but I was told it came from Indiana. Bob Tingle made mule ear rifles but I cannot find a example of his work. Storey also made some but again I cannot find an example. I would have thought that those makers would have marked their work but this one is unmarked. A very pretty rifle and well made with a .36 caliber barrel that has a reasonably fast twist.

I would appreciate any info about this rifle.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
Re: Need ID on mule ear
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 12:23:19 AM »
I don't know but it looks like a nice example.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

galudwig

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 02:02:32 AM »
Not a Dale Storey Lock. He stamped his name and serial # on the backside of the lock plate as well as "jeweling" it.

That's a mighty nice looking rifle though.  Kind of what I have in mind for my Dale Storey lock.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:03:13 AM by galudwig »

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 03:11:32 AM »
Thanks for the info. This is a nice feeling rifle with a longer pull and rear sight about 12 inches down the barrel which fits my old eyes.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 06:13:22 AM »
Is it possible the lock shown on the nice half stock side slapper is one sold by flintlocks INC?? owned by the Eder family??

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »
Here is the lock interior. Again not marked. I have not pulled the barrel yet but there is no marking on the visible portion.
I cannot find any reference to Flintlocks inc. making a rifle like this.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
I believe that Gerry DeVauldroe sold a kit to make a mule ear or side slapper many years ago. The plate was cast with the slot for the hammer cast in, it took a small amout of file work to assemble one. That lock looks a lot like the one I referenced. It would be nice to see a picture of the opposite side of the rifle.

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 01:11:00 AM »
Here is the off side

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 06:11:55 PM »
wweedman:
   Very nice looking mule ear 1/2 stock. Good find.
Although I don't know who made your rifle or lock, attached are photos of an original by William Gardner, Geneva, N.Y.
Whoever made your lock did a nice job making it in the style of a 19th Century lock.

upload gif image

Offline Longknife

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 06:24:54 PM »
Wweedman, I have seen a lot of Bob Tingles guns, I wasn't impressed, kinda blocky and crude, IMHO. That  is NOT a Tingle....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 07:52:17 PM »
wweedman:
   Very nice looking mule ear 1/2 stock. Good find.
Although I don't know who made your rifle or lock, attached are photos of an original by William Gardner, Geneva, N.Y.
Whoever made your lock did a nice job making it in the style of a 19th Century lock.

upload gif image

Very nice lock there Steve!  Do you own the Gardner rifle that the lock fits?
I once had a good shooting mule ear full stocked longrifle made by William Gardner in 45 caliber.

I did some research on him and learned that he was the son in law of the one and only William Antes who was the pre and post Revolutionary War era gunsmith from Pennsylvania!
Joel Hall

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »
I appreciate everyone’s help. Sunday I hope to go to the range and try it out. It feels better than the old .29 I am using at the monthly meat shoots near St. Louis. Maybe I will use this rifle the end of the month.

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 08:37:47 PM »
Joel:
  The lock I submitted is from a Gardner 1/2 stock I own.  I'm only about 25 miles from Geneva, where Gardner's resided.
He died February 23, 1882 and according to his obituary, he was 88 years old. Apparently he went blind in his early 70's.
As you know, he was a very competent gunmaker, and most of the rifles I've seen by him are mule ears.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
The Gardner mule ear that I owned had a double cheek piece walnut stock that had a lot of silver moon and star inlays.  I posted pictures of it on the old forum which have been gone since photo bucket took a dump.     Steve, I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your Gardner halfstock!
Joel Hall

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 11:54:24 PM »
Joel:
 PM sent.

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 12:12:14 AM »
On the Contemporary Makers website there is a mule ear with the same lock on a rifle by Ernie "Epharim" Smart.  The hammer shape is the same as yours and the plate though brass looks the same.

Here's the link - http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2010/04/ernie-epharim-smart-mule-ear-rifle.html

Mike

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »
Yes the lock looks the same thanks.
Now I have to find out more about the maker.

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 03:11:50 PM »
Doing a search for Ernie Smart I found a thread about the lock. Evidentially someone was selling these at Friendship so I am still no closer to finding the maker.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 12:01:09 AM »
WWeedman,

I have no idea who made this gun, although it is a very nice example!  as far as the lock?? all I know is they were offered as a kit. My Buddy Pat Donohue
had one a few years back. he was given the kit and asked to assemble the lock and then build a rifle around it.. Never quite got who made made them and
I've never been in the right place to grab one up,, if n when they surface?
No marking anywhere?? I know some guys who always marked theirs under the butt plate?.. but then again, a bunch of mine have NO markings to say they were made by me.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan