Author Topic: George Jenkins Rifle  (Read 3234 times)

Offline 1sogdusm

George Jenkins Rifle
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
Has anyone heard of George Jenkins?  I am trying to determine when, where he was working and how many rifles he may have built.  The rifle is well made with a 38’” swamped barrel, here are a few pics. Of one of his rifles. I saw an old post on ALR that mentioned a George Jenkins as a friend of Louis Smith but made no mention of gunmaking on Jenkins part. Thanks in advance for your help.

upload png google
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:27:20 PM by 1sogdusm »

n stephenson

Re: George Jenkins Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 05:18:19 PM »
Can`t help with ID , but he obviously had some talent. Nice rifle! Nate

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 06:10:21 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline gusd

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 06:28:20 PM »
Can't help I.D. but this is a beautiful rifle. The carving, engraving, arch., color.
Gus

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:32:37 PM »
I have some feelers out in Lenoir City, I would really like to know how many guns he built.  I did see another post with photos of a Louis Smith rifle and the similarity is amazing.  Thanks for the comments so far, this is one of those rifles that just pulls you in when you see it.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 05:20:54 AM »
The patchbox has a Vogler, Salem, NC feel too it, but not the rest of the rifle.  Beautiful rifle.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
The man has skills. Nice rifle
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 05:42:35 PM »
George and his son used to stop by my booth at Friendship every year.  But, I haven't seen them in probably ten years.  I'm sure George has passed on.  He was a great guy to talk with, and he made a really nice rifle.  For the life of me I can't remember where they lived.

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 06:00:28 PM »
Thanks Jim, if I have the right guy I believe they are from Lenoir City area just South of Knoxville. I keep finding references to George and Raymond Jenkins.  The work in this rifle looks very similar to examples I have seen of Louis Smith’s work. I am trying to track down what I can about Jenkins. Do you have any idea how many rifles he may have built?  It is obvious that his skill level was very high when he created this rifle. I am just surprised I have not found any reference to his work.

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 07:22:04 PM »
Is that a southern mountain rifle with the curly maple stock on the table? Any pics?

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »
Shankeyman2 , it might be a day or so but I will send you some and get some specs.

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 12:36:38 AM »
George has been located!!  I spoke with George Jenkins today,  George is a second generation gunmaker and he told me his dad built nicer guns than he did.  George’s father passed away in 2002 and was very good friends with Louis Smith.  The barrel and lock engraving on this rifle pictured was done by Louis Smith.  George said that he built this rifle to deer hunt with and never thought he would sell it. George stated that he probably built 6 or 7 guns and considered himself a hobby builder!  George said his dad build more than 35 guns and was always a perfectionist. George is now 78 years old and still lives in the Lenoir City area of Tennessee.  George gave me his blessing in sharing this information about his family and their gun building history. George is no longer building rifles.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 03:14:59 AM »
Glad you were to locate him. Your persistence paid off.

Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 09:40:27 AM »
I'm sure there are quite a few "hobby builders" that would like to have those kind of skills!