Author Topic: Pistol Accessories  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Greg Pennell

Pistol Accessories
« on: March 02, 2018, 02:48:12 AM »
I knocked out some quick accessories for my recent pistol build. Nothing fancy, just a pick/pan brush/measure out of some antler scraps, and a loading rod and bullet board out of curly maple scraps (I seldom throw anything away...).   The lanyard is braided waxed linen.

I also stitched up a small belt bag and flint wallet to go with...it’s basically one of the patterns from T.C. Albert’s book, less the shoulder strap. Horn buttons on both bag and wallet.

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike from OK

Re: Pistol Accessories
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 05:20:42 AM »
Beautiful work!

Mike

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »
Thank you sir. They’re just simple, functional pieces...no high-art here.  I would like to make a nice cased pair of pistols someday, if I live long enough.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »
I like the vent pick. What did you use for the "probe" portion?

Mike

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 05:52:22 PM »
I think this one is a small finish nail, forged out in a taper. I seldom use a vent pick, but I’m probably gonna change the tip out for a piece of copper wire...less chance of damaging the flash hole liner.

Greg

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
I think this one is a small finish nail, forged out in a taper. I seldom use a vent pick, but I’m probably gonna change the tip out for a piece of copper wire...less chance of damaging the flash hole liner.

Greg

Use brass, a little stiffer but still a lot softer that steel.
Psalms 144

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
 Neat. What did you use for bristles on the brush?

Thanks, Tim

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »
If you want to use copper for your pick, hammer it a little it will work harden.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 07:30:14 PM »
Tim, the pan brush bristles are made from a section of wild turkey beard...I don’t think he’ll mind, he wasn’t using it anymore ;D.  A 10” beard will make several brushes, just tie off a section and clip with sharp scissors or a razor, and glue into the handle.

Bob, thanks for the tip on the copper wire.  I’d planned to hammer it into a nice taper, but never thought about the benefit of a little work hardening.

Greg