Author Topic: Need some Smoothy shotgun stuff ??  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Need some Smoothy shotgun stuff ??
« on: March 02, 2018, 07:34:41 AM »
Iam getting my bucket list Turkey this May (I hope ). Just wondering what you seasoned Smooth Bore shot gunners have for shot bags, shot measures and anything else I might need to add...Pictures would be nice ! Thanks...and I need a leather bag too ...the camo belt bag ain't period correct...lol

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Need some Smoothy shotgun stuff ??
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 03:09:37 PM »
I carry everything in my pockets when hunting.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »
Like Mike, I carry stuff in my pockets. Best bet, for me, is to use the plastic pre loaders. Some are ling enough to carry both shot and powder with a divider in between, if not use one for shot and one for powder. I don't use cushion wads and use the same cards over powder and shot, it gives me a better pattern and makes it simple. A short starter, caps and you're ready to go.
Mark
Mark

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »
I carry a powder flask with adjustable top, and a shot flask the same. 
Wads and caps in weskit pockets.
Shot flask inside jacket on  shoulder strap, and powder flask in pocket.
V little in the way.

R.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 06:09:10 PM »
Nessmuk I use a hemp haversack/hunting pouch that has 2 pockets on the back panel and it keeps every thing where it belongs .And a horn on the other side .It will also hold a couple of different calls ,small stuff that might be needed.I like to keep it all together that way if you take a coat off you still have it all with you. Curt

free picture hosting websites

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:32:52 PM »
Nessmuck here are some photos of my pouch and contents,any ???s just ask.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 09:59:44 PM »
The top two pictures are my large bore possibles bag, which I use with the 14 bore rifle, mainly.
I do also use it for trail walks with my 20 bore when shooting balls.  The 'button' is a hammered .684" pure lead ball.

This is Track's Upland bag and works fine for that & is what I would use for upland hunting grouse, for instance
with the 20 bore flinter. I also use it for my .50 long rifle on trail walks.
I put a hammered .69 ball on each side of the 'fowler' bag flap for weights to hold the flap down - works a treat!

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:07:26 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 10:56:58 PM »
My smoothbore is accompanied by premeasured powder and shot.  These are home made pvc tubes of various sizes that I use with a smoothbore and very frequently with a rifle.  A small tin carries wads and cards.  All fit in pockets.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 04:04:23 AM »
I don't like carrying and measuring loose shot, in bags or other containers, in the field. I used to carry premeasures shot in cane/bamboo tubes and form paper shot cups at the muzzle. Tube can be seen here,

Now I carry premade shot cups/cartridges in a tin in my shot pouch/shooting bag, as seen here, in lower left corner,

That tin holds 8 1oz squirrel loads. For turkeys the cartridges are longer as they hold more shot, but concept and use is the same. When out for turkey or small game the ball bag is left home and both tins stay in the bag, when out for deer, the tin of shot cartridges comes out, the tin of wads stays, and the ball bag goes in.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 04:34:44 AM »
Nice kit Brokennock. 8)

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 05:45:06 AM »
Great pics...keep em coming !

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »
The best advice I can give you on shooting bags is this. Design the bag just the way you want it, and then reduce its size by a third. Now put all the stuff that is essential to making the fowler perform in the bag, and leave the rest at home. Now you have space for calls, and an extra hand for all the rest that goes with turkey hunting. I have a shooting bag built to carry everything even remotely related to shooting/repairing my gun, and I can’t not fill it up.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
Nessmuk,

Me being tail -end Charlie, I just got some photos done of my outfit. 
Late as usual, but here it is;

Caps and wads in waistcoat pocket, shot flask slung over shoulder inside jacket.
Powder flask in jacket pocket.  For a different shot size, a couple of shot chargers can be carried in the pocket.  Game bag for your birds or whatever.

Or I sometimes carry a shot belt, see other photo.  No fiddling with anything.  It's all here on the chair.
Except the chargers aren't showing, see below;

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »
I started out with a shoulder bag for upland hunting but got rid of it after the first time out. Forever getting hung up in cornstalks, buffalo grass, and barbed wire fences. My system is the same as Mr. Bundook's. One powder flask, one shot flask and a handful of cards and wads all in my hunting vest pockets. birds go in the bird pouch in the back of the vest.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 04:44:58 PM »
Bird pouch,...............That'd be a  poacher's pocket" in the UK Mike!  :-)

I like the game bag.  Re barbed wire, that was one of the bags main uses.....lay it over't fence whilst climbing over.
Also!  and very important, we always gathered some grass or rushes and stuffed the bag for duck flighting.  Made a comfortable insulated seat.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 09:34:59 PM »
Didn't that squish the ducks?
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 09:50:16 PM »
Daryl, Daryl Daryl...if we had ducks to squish we didn't Need the grass!

You have heard I am sure of "Down filled"    ..........that's Exactly what a game bag is stuffed with ducks.

Steve-In

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 11:59:13 PM »
For turkey hunting since I use a SxS I just carry 4 preloads.  Wads in a ziplock bag in the pocket of my turkey vest.  Caps are carried in a couple of the cappers flintslocks sells.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 05:24:18 AM »
Daryl, Daryl Daryl...if we had ducks to squish we didn't Need the grass!

You have heard I am sure of "Down filled"    ..........that's Exactly what a game bag is stuffed with ducks.

Ahhhh - silly me. ;D
Daryl