Author Topic: Dimick St Louis  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
Dimick St Louis
« on: March 02, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »
Not sure where to post this, so if it needs moved, please do so.  A friend of mine has all the parts from an original Dimmick plains rifle, except for the stock. The barrel is approximately .40 caliber and is stamped Dimmick St Louis. He has the lock, trigger, buttplate, trigger guard, screws, sights, etc.  We are trying to determine a fair price for these parts and if there is any interest in purchasing them.   Thanks for any info.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 11:13:21 PM by Hawken62_flint »

Offline Don Stith

Re: Dimmick St Louis
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 06:54:25 PM »
Pictures and barrel dimensions please

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 05:59:00 AM »
Pictures and barrel dimensions will take some time as my friend lives 100 miles from me and  I don't get there very often. Will do my best to get them sooner rather than later. Thanks.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »
You guys don't have email between you?
Your friend can't post the pictures here?

Those parts have some value, but would have a lot more if there was most, or even part of an original stock.

John
John Robbins

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 08:32:18 AM »
My friend is 75 and not tech savvy at all. No cell phone and no email.  There is no stock or pieces. He inherited the parts from his step dad and there was never a stock that he can remember.

Offline Hawken62_flint

Re: Dimick St Louis
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 11:32:12 PM »
I got back to my friend's house and took measurements and pictures of the E. Dimick, St Louis rifle parts.  Here are the barrel measurements and if you want pictures, you can PM me with your cell phone number or email address and I will send you what I have.  The barrel is 36 inches long and the breech plug is  3/4", making a total of 36 3/4" barrel length.  It measures .0940" at the breech and is tapered to .0900" at the muzzle.  The breech plug appears to have been changed by someone, as it has not been filed to fit the hooked tang.  The bore measures .375".  The rib is 24" in length with 2 thimbles and there are two barrel lugs.  The tennons are included in the parts. The following is a list of parts--butt plate, hooked tang, double set triggers, tennons, rear sight (looks like a buckhorn, but is actually a peep of sorts), lock (mainspring is missing), trigger guard, and toe plate.  The front sight appears to be silver and is still on the barrel.  The rear sight location has been moved, so there are two dovetails in the barrel, one filled.  If you have any more questions, please ask.  As I stated in the initial post, we are mainly trying to establish a value for these parts and any help will be appreciated.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 11:53:57 PM »
PM sent
Andover, Vermont

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 01:38:27 AM »

Andover, Vermont

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:39:03 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures Rich. Much appreciated.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »
Does that muzzle look like it was shaped for a false muzzle?
Mike Lee

oakridge

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »
Does that muzzle look like it was shaped for a false muzzle?
[/quote

No, the muzzle was turned for a bullet starter.

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 06:56:41 PM »
Sorry Mike, I have been under the weather for a few days and haven't checked msgs. The muzzle is rounded and I suppose a false muzzle could have been used, but there are no indications of any pin holes to align the false muzzle.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 07:04:03 PM »
Muyzzle is turned cylindrical for a bullet starter.  Barrel may have a faster than ball twist, for a short slug, like a sugar loaf bullet, especially considering the bore size.  I enlarged and copied that rear  sight!  Neat.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 07:58:32 PM »
Are there any numbers stamped on the muzzle ?  Might be stamped to identify it to the matching bullet mould. Also should be an H ahead of the E on the barrel

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »
Don,  as i don't have the barrel, it is hard to answer your questions. Someone filed or sanded the barrel to reveal the E Dimick you see in the pictures. There could very well be a "H", but rust and time have covered it. I don't recall any other markings on the barrel.

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 05:55:21 PM »
The big question is still whether or not these parts are worth anything to someone?? I would think they would be valuable to someone who is restoring a Dimick.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 06:30:38 PM »
It looks like some barnyard gunsmith got to most of these parts before you got them. You’d have to have a Dimick in pretty bad shape to try reworking most of these parts. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 10:10:10 PM »
The Dimick parts would most likely be used by someone who wants to re-stock original parts to save them...in a complete rifle that can be handled and enjoyed. It appears most of the hardware is there, except perhaps escutcheons for the wedge locations, the lock bolt, and perhaps several wood screws. The parts don't appear that bad to my eye, except for the unnecessary damage to the signature on the barrel. From the rest of the barrel's surface condition, which isn't bad, I'd speculate the name was visible before the sandpaper attack, an unfortunate event to "improve" the old barrel. Finding an interested buyer is another story.

The parts would sell most easily at a show in the Midwest, the closer to St. Louis the better. I attend the Princeton, IL Prairie States Longrifle show every spring and fall, and I know there would be interested people there. There is value in the parts, but due to the damage to the barrel signature, and smaller missing parts such as original screws and bolts, I think people are reluctant to make a guess at what the parts would bring. If you want my opinion, I'd ask $200 for the parts, and would probably settle for $150 if offered. Shelby Gallien