Author Topic: Where to buy a possibles bag  (Read 7285 times)

Offline Frank

Re: Where to buy a possibles bag
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 04:03:42 PM »
I get all my bags from the Leatherman. I have him put an all leather strap on them and they are fully adjustable. He makes nice stuff.

http://accu-riser.com/

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »
I am the same height as you, and I even with the buckle, I had him remove 4 inches from the leather strap, to get it short enough.  It now hangs where it should on me.   

That sounds about right... Right now it hangs about my belt line, maybe a tad lower. I would prefer the top of the bag even with my love handle area. Lol

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 09:02:55 PM »
Do these bags hang on your hip...or you like them above your waist ,tight to the body ?

I've seen where people wear them high, up into their ribs. That strikes me as a little extreme... But each person will have their preference.

I think the higher it rides on your side the less it will swing about. But it makes it harder to reach into the pouch with any kind of speed or dexterity.

Mike

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 02:50:52 AM »
I'd recommend Gary Tingler out of West Virginia.  Makes a really nice bag - leather or cloth - whatever you are looking for.

Offline wormey

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 05:20:16 AM »
Don`t forget Ken Scott or Mary Ann Pratt if you want top of the line!  Wormey

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 05:37:19 AM »
Fellas do you have any pictures or links to share of Gary, Ken, and Mary's work?

I'm saving up for another flinter... That means another shooting bag will be needed!

Mike

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 06:31:15 AM »
Fellas do you have any pictures or links to share of Gary, Ken, and Mary's work?

I'm saving up for another flinter... That means another shooting bag will be needed!

Mike

I looked at some guns made by Roy Stroh over the weekend.....iam saving too !

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
 It really surprises me that so few muzzleloader enthusiasts make their own gear now. Seeing the art, and individuality, of shooters gear was half the fun of attending events, back in the day. The majority of muzzleloader gear back then was bare basic simple. Now most shooting bags look like fine luggage, rather than a back country home made shooting bag. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 11:35:57 PM »
Back in the 1970's, a hunting friend of mine declared my home-made sack of a 'possibles' bag looked like a "Rhinoceros Scrotum".
LOL - just a big bag to hold everything.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2018, 04:12:23 AM »
I would be remiss if I did not mention that Jim Webb also makes some incredible bags.  Some are elaborately embroidered, and he is famous for this work. 

That said, he makes some incredible copies of bags he's owned or held in the past.  Mountain style bags, double bags, haversacks.  All fascinating.  Jim has owned and/or seen many original bags over many years. 

Jim uses deer hide mainly, and his bags are tough but supple. 

How he does the amount of work and charges so little baffles me. 

God Bless, Marc

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2018, 06:07:36 AM »
All the artisans mentioned make great bags, and the Leatherman is a great place to get a less expensive, machine-sewn bag that is much more traditional looking than most anything mass-produced... My first bag is from the Leatherman,  and I love it when I need a bigger bag with a fowling gun.  (I needed to shorten and re-sew the leather strap on mine, as others have said.)

A couple of other guys who do superb work worth checking out are Jeff Bibb and Eric Fleisher.  Both have nice web sites displaying their work. 
Jerry

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2018, 06:27:52 AM »
Thanks for all the info.....still looking at all the bags ! Keep em coming !

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2018, 12:56:26 AM »
Back in the 1970's, a hunting friend of mine declared my home-made sack of a 'possibles' bag looked like a "Rhinoceros Scrotum".
LOL - just a big bag to hold everything.
At least he wasn't talking about your hat ;)