Author Topic: Appalachian Shooting Bag - Now For Something Completely Different  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Marcruger

Completely different from what I have made before that is.  This is leather project #4 for me.  I decided to stretch and learn to work with bound edges, rolled edges, and hair-on hide. 

I was inspired by Jim Webb's "Sketches of Hunting Pouches, Powder Horns and Accoutrements of Southern Appalachia" book I just bought.  I was also impressed by Eric Ewing's ability to make totally different style bags....seemingly without running out of ideas.

This is calf hide.  Hair-on.  Very thick hide, but extremely soft.  The only hiccup was the first flap I made.  To quote Foghorn Leghorn, "Eeeeeyeck".  So I made the one you see here.  I like it a lot better.  The rolled edge is very thin suede leather.  No inside pocket.  7.5" x 7.5".  Welted seams on sides. 

I hope you like it.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Marcruger

Re: Appalachian Shooting Bag - Now For Something Completely Different
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 09:08:05 PM »
One more thing. The strap is brown.  I don't know why came out burgundy/cordovan in the photo.  Odd. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:48:43 PM »
Okay, then.  I like it!  Excellent work as always.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 02:04:11 AM »
Nice one!  I think you did a great job on the edge binding. Two thumbs up!

Greg

P.S.  Might I ask where you sourced the hair-on hide?  TIA.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:15:30 AM by g.pennell »
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 04:48:39 AM »
Aint that hair fun stuff to cut and sew. Nice job.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:15:24 AM »
"Aint that hair fun stuff to cut and sew. Nice job."

Hah!   :-)  It is crazy for sure.  Not being able to see stitch holes in the deep fur is one thing.  The other is shaving off spots of hair to give places for contact cement before stitching.  It's a whole new set of skills.  I do like the look though. 

Greg, I am fortunate to have a Tandy Leather company branch 15 minutes from my house.  They have a stack of hair-on calf hides that I picked through.  All different color combos.  They are not cheap though at about $90.00.  In others words, not a way to make lots of profit if one is thinking of selling bags.  I'd try to find a less expensive calf-hide source.  This bag sort of took the best parts of that hide, and I have remnants left to work with on smaller projects.   

Thanks to all for the positive feedback. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 06:44:32 AM »
Looking good, Marc. Looking good.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 09:36:51 AM »
Never really liked the "hair on" bags, but that one is very nice. Everything looks nice and neat.

I have a Tandy real close to home too. I find it best to take advantage of their sales and specials whenever possible. Not sure if they all do it, but the one near me has "red shirt Wednesday," wear a red shirt when you go in and get $5 off your purchase. Also, veterans get the "elite" pricing.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »
Sounds like I need to find where the nearest Tandy is, and see if I can work it into my travels. I love living out in the sticks, but it can be inconvenient sometimes...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline trentOH

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 03:29:30 AM »
Not dying the back of the strap seems prudent: otherwise the dye would bleed onto your clothing.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 03:54:58 AM »
trentOH,  The back of the strap actually is dyed, just lightly.  It is a neatsfoot oil blend with Fiebings Pro oil dye added.  Just enough to feed the leather and give it color.  It is then sealed, once thoroughly dried.  I have rubbed heavily with a cloth and nothing comes off. 

In my the posts on my last bag, the question came up and I addressed it. Suffice it to say, I have no idea how folks dye the back of leather dark brown, have it look good, and not have it come off on clothes.  I am a novice, still learning, so hopefully that secret will come to me one day. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc