Author Topic: Blanket Rifle Case and Short Starter Holster upgrades  (Read 2199 times)

Old No7

Blanket Rifle Case and Short Starter Holster upgrades
« on: March 04, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »
By no means am I a talented craftsman the likes of other who regularly post their creations on this site...

But for those who may want to have the satisfaction of making changes to or upgrading their gear, I'll post these images of some work I just did.

I got a long brown-striped blanket rifle case for a great price on Etsy and liked how the colors complemented the brown stripes of the straps for my powder horn and possibles bag.  My twin (Flint62Smoothie) suggested that I add some leather patches so my JP McCoy rifle's muzzle or other parts wouldn't work their way through the blanket covering.

It was too tough to add them on the inside, since the case is so narrow, so I ended up adding them on the outside.  And I did my first-ever blanket stitch too! I think this came out pretty well at the muzzle:

Then I also added some leather patches where the rear sight and lock are located, with the leather patch doubled in thickness at the top for the lock:

And then, since for now I'm using a short starter on my rifle, I added a simple holster like I'd seen on some of the nicer bags on TOW. I have to thank my twin for passing me his hand-me-down when he just upgraded to a nicer bag, and by luck or serendipity the bag's strap was an exact match for my horn.  The little holster works well for the deer antler starter I bought from Roy Stroh at the Ancient Ones Gun Show in Maine --- it's a nice one, and I like it:

That's it.  Tight groups to all!

Old No7
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:11:00 PM by Old No7 »

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Blanket Rifle Case and Short Starter Holster upgrades
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 05:59:37 PM »
This is how it starts...welcome to the slippery slope!  I was just having a conversation with Marcruger about how I feel like I’ve got a bad case of Adult ADD...jumping from gunsmithing, to blacksmithing, to horn work, to leather work...

Ain’t this a grand hobby?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Blanket Rifle Case and Short Starter Holster upgrades
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 11:45:39 PM »
Your success has given me some great ideas.  Welcome!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.