Author Topic: Intriguing Antique Pouch  (Read 3514 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Intriguing Antique Pouch
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:57:00 PM »
Saw this little (?) pouch last month on the Contemporary Blog and I'm attempting to replicate.  What really has me baffled is what the purpose of the small patch of fabric sewn into the underside of the flap.  Any guesses??
Gary

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:16:11 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Intriguing Antique Pouch
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:00:11 PM »
You can see the full pictures on the Contemporary Makers blog, http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.de/2018/02/antique-hunting-pouch.html
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 10:20:04 PM »
Don't know the answer for that Gary, must have kept something ticked under it. Pretty cool that when he stitched it on he followed the embossed X lines on the exterior so it wouldn't be so obvious!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline homerifle

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 10:30:19 PM »
A good friend of mine sewed a piece of his dads old hunting shirt under the flap of a bag he made. His dad had past away and he figured to have that along with him when ever he took a hunt.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 10:38:45 PM »
Don't know the answer for that Gary, must have kept something ticked under it. Pretty cool that when he stitched it on he followed the embossed X lines on the exterior so it wouldn't be so obvious!
Robby

Yes Robby, he took care to do that.  I'm thinking like you that he used it to tuck in some ticking for patches??  And put a small pocket on the front of the face, easier to grab a ball?   And the back and flap all one piece as I couldn't see where the flap was attached separately.  My guess is this is about 7 square.  It looked too big when I cut a piece of paper for 8 square.  Interesting bag for sure.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:47:27 PM »
A good friend of mine sewed a piece of his dads old hunting shirt under the flap of a bag he made. His dad had past away and he figured to have that along with him when ever he took a hunt.

That's a good point Homerifle. 

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »
I too would surmise that patches would be tucked under there ...
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 12:36:31 AM »
I guess it could be for anything and the above guesses are good. Is this the bag Greg Hudson ended up with?

What kind of date would you guys guess for this bag?
I'm sure you also have an idea of the location?

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 12:39:44 AM »
James, not sure if Greg has this or not.  As for the date, I'd guess 19th century??

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 12:42:44 AM »
Correction, I believe Greg does have this as I saw his reproduction on Facebook.

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 03:48:19 AM »
This is a really neat little design. I would guess PA late 19th century. Sorry, I meant to post that with the other comment but was looking at apartments with my daughter while typing : )

Offline RobertS

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »
If the owner cut his patches at the muzzle from a strip of cloth, could it be that the end of the patching strip was tucked under the strip sewn to the bag, allowing the excess length of the roll to remain in the bag?  I wonder about the purpose of the hole in the flap.  Could it relate to the strip sewn in underneath the flap?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Whatever he carried in that lower left (facing) corner must have been hard. he kept it right there though.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 04:10:31 AM »
Hey Folks, 

A friend and I have been talking about me making a recreation of this bag.

He is thinking there is a welt.  Maybe a rolled welt?  I am not so sure.  It could well be the two layers of the leather spreading apart outboard of the stitching. 

What do y'all think? 

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

free picture hosting for ebay

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 06:55:59 AM »
Marc, I went back to the blog, and blew up the photos as large as I could, and I don’t think there’s a welt.  Sure would be nice if there was a sort of quartering view of one of the edges though. I think if I was making one for myself, I’d welt it.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »
Marc,
I think what he is seeing may be where the edge had rolled over time. It is most predominant on the bottom and less so on the top left of the photo in your last post.
Here is Greg Hudson's version. He produced this with the original in hand. Photo-Greg Hudson

russian photo sharing
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:48:59 PM by James Rogers »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 03:40:25 PM »
James, yes, having the original on hand can be highly instructive when replicating this one.  I'm going to have to ask him what the sizes are as I'm just guessing now.
th cen
Greg and Marc, I've been told by many leather masters that an awful lot of bags of yore had no welting have survived just fine.  Like everything else, if one takes care of their equipment (proper cleaning, normal maintenance, storage, etc), their equipment takes care of the owners.  Ask the Leatherman why they don't use welting on their products.  When the sewing is done right, depending on the weight of the leather, the lines will survive and do quite well.  In this instance, why did the edges mushroom??  Stored for a long time in the upright postion with heavy objects in it while it was wet??

James, on a second thought I see on Greg Hudson's copy what he did to sewing the top edging of the flap.  I didn't notice that on the original initially.  Perhaps the original maker did this to keep the flap down because of lightweight leathers?  Greg also used a decorative button/medal where normally you see for a flap closure.  I thought I see something on the orignal for holding something in that position.   Great little example of 19th century craftsmanship and style. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »
Thank you for the input.

My take on the stitching at the top corners of the flap is this - it could be original, or it could have been added when the strap was replaced.

A thinner flap lacks weight and would tend to flop. On the other hand, thicker leather with no hinge would not want to lay down either.

I saw the twisted piece of wire in the flap of the original. Greg added a button there. When I saw the original, I couldn’t figure a use at that location, other than adding decoration. What would you button to the flap? No sign of a button tab. Puzzling. I like the button Greg added, but I am not sure it is the correct interpretation.

Great discussions in any event. 🙂
God bless, Marc