Author Topic: Bivens Flintlock at Auction  (Read 7010 times)

Offline gibster

Bivens Flintlock at Auction
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:37:25 PM »
Thought there may be a few that might be interested in a John Bivens Rifle that is coming up at Auction. I have no connection to the auction or the company. Here is the link:
https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/exquisite-flintlock-kentucky-rifle-made-by-contem-7324c31b67

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Bivens Flintlock at Auction
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:24:44 AM »
Didn't go overboard with pictures did they.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 02:50:59 AM »
 ::) ::)... I've participated in a couple of these "on line" auctions .... trouble with 'em is anyone buying on line ALSO has a 26% buyers premium added, plus shipping fees ... adds about 1/3 price to the purchase after you buy .. !!! .... Hmmmmm......

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 04:07:48 AM »
His last name is Bivins.

robpack@Hotmail.com

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 04:46:55 AM »
That is why someone should give me a good number on my bicentennial like new John Bivins number 3................... lol

Offline Kynoch

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 05:02:35 AM »
Sold for $5,000 plus 18% buyers premium.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 07:51:11 PM »
I'd have been disappointed in that hammer price if it were my rifle I was selling.  Someone got a deal and a half.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline jaeren

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 09:22:06 PM »
Sold for $5,000 plus 18% buyers premium.

With the auction fees he probably got around 35 to 3800. 

Offline EC121

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 12:25:47 AM »
The buyers premium is added.  The buyer paid $5900.
Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 12:28:40 AM »
You always have to figure in the cool factor too. There are some Bivins guns I'd like to have and others not so much.....things like that will always have an effect on selling price.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jaeren

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 12:40:06 AM »
The buyers premium is added.  The buyer paid $5900.

That's what the auction took in not what the owner gets. The buyers premium goes to auction house along with about 25 to 30% of what the gun brings. The percentage varies for each auction house. There are some that have sold guns through auction that can better tell what the auction house gets.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 04:25:56 PM »
This reminds me of the article I read regarding the price of things after a '70 Hemi Cuda convertible sold for $2.4 million, and a Duesenberg SJ sold at the same sale for $1.4 million.  The writer explained that the rich person with millions to spend no doubt clearly recalled wanting a Hemi Cuda as a kid, and now had the money to spend.  Sadly, most of the folks who recall Duesenberg's are long since past the age of spending big money. 

I hate to point out the obvious, but we need to get kids out and encourage them to shoot muzzleloaders. 

I am a touch puzzled to see folks spend $5000 on a long range, plastic stocked bolt gun, or a fancy black gun when they could own a gorgeous longrifle.  It is just the way of the world though. 

My thought is that the things I own are because I want them.  If they increase in price, so be it.  If not, that is fine too.  I enjoyed owning and using them.  I hope that Bivens gun gets out in the woods or to the range and gets enjoyed. 

Just my 2cents worth.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 10:32:58 PM »
A friend who works for RM Auctions tells me that sales of Duesenbergs are now competitions
between 80 years old billionaires.One Duesy I put a clutch in (J357)Murphy body convertible
coupe with low original miles sold for 2.2million.I was invited to a show in Florida and offered the
chance to drive it again.Bob Roller
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:06:43 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline debnal

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »
I just sold a gun at a major auction house and they did not charge me anything for a seller's premium. I got the hammer price for the gun.
Al

richs

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 03:39:33 PM »
I was at the auction when this gun sold.  I believe someone on the phone won the auction.  Nice gun!
Rich

tabs

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 01:32:57 AM »
Sellers commissions are flexible. Ask me how I know.

Buyers premiums have not been flexible as far as I know. However if you buy lots of stuff and are spending mucho dinero...who is to say if they don't cut you some slack? Lately these guys are starting to run 20% + for the buyers premium.

Morphy just ran a 4 day auction at he end of 6/18 for some 3200 pieces, it seems that most of the stuff was hammering out below low estimate and with buyers premium was just slightly above low estimate. Some people say it was a bust of an auction with a 23% buyers premium. Morphy says they are not gong to do a 4 day extravaganza auction but break it up into 2 smaller auctions. With that big of a sale you start to run into buyers fatigue.

On line auctions charge you 5% for the privilege of sitting at home and pressing a button to bid. I shy away from doing that if I can?   

With the brick and mortar auctions houses also running on line bidding it is tough to find a bargain from coast to coast. It has to fall through the cracks and the cracks are minute. Somebody is going to also know what it is. So for the most part you are going to pay the going rate.

tabs

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 01:39:11 AM »
I just sold a gun at a major auction house and they did not charge me anything for a seller's premium. I got the hammer price for the gun.
Al

Julia's would give you 1% sellers premium if the gun hammered for more than 6K. Julia sold out to Morphy, recently Julias's wife passed.

tabs

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 01:50:32 AM »
This reminds me of the article I read regarding the price of things after a '70 Hemi Cuda convertible sold for $2.4 million, and a Duesenberg SJ sold at the same sale for $1.4 million.  The writer explained that the rich person with millions to spend no doubt clearly recalled wanting a Hemi Cuda as a kid, and now had the money to spend.  Sadly, most of the folks who recall Duesenberg's are long since past the age of spending big money. 

I hate to point out the obvious, but we need to get kids out and encourage them to shoot muzzleloaders. 

I am a touch puzzled to see folks spend $5000 on a long range, plastic stocked bolt gun, or a fancy black gun when they could own a gorgeous longrifle.  It is just the way of the world though. 

My thought is that the things I own are because I want them.  If they increase in price, so be it.  If not, that is fine too.  I enjoyed owning and using them.  I hope that Bivens gun gets out in the woods or to the range and gets enjoyed. 

Just my 2cents worth.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Awhile back I had a conversation with Jason Devine aka Mr Amoskeag Auctions where he said he was worried about the prices on muzzle loading rifles going forward. The younger guys look at them askance wanting black guns with firepower. Who wants to take the time to load and shoot a single round @ every 2 minutes?

Jason bought for himself a John Krider Percussion rifle for 23K. Of course all he had to do was pay the seller his percentage of the hammer price.

What seems to be the hot ticket now are WW1 and WW2 (any contract Mauser) surplus military rifles. Mauser K98's,have always been collectable along with US 03's, Garands and M1 Carbines and some Enfields among other specialty models...Now the field is broadening to include for example Mosin Nagants....with 37M Mosins the field is wide open. I believe what is partially driving prices is that they are still affordable while Smiths and 1911's etc have already sky rocketed.. The other part are video games that highlight those weapons, so the kiddys can get a piece of history on the cheap.

The stuff that this Board is concerned with is a specialty item made by artisans. The prices at auction when it does come up for sale has gotten more expensive...you are not going to find a Jerry Kirkland for $850 anymore.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:11:37 AM by tabs »

Willbarq

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 03:11:16 AM »
A friend who works for RM Auctions tells me that sales of Duesenbergs are now competitions
between 80 years old billionaires.One Duesy I put a clutch in (J357)Murphy body convertible
coupe with low original miles sold for 2.2million.I was invited to a show in Florida and offered the
chance to drive it again.Bob Roller

Just as they were new. Untouchables . What are they going to do when the people who,d all be interested are dead?  Lotsa corrections coming soon. No GPS and backup camera in those..  But we are straying in subject.