Author Topic: BULL BUFFALO HORN  (Read 11625 times)

Offline louieparker

BULL BUFFALO HORN
« on: March 08, 2018, 08:04:04 PM »
Where can I find a bull buffalo horn that would be suitable to make a copy of this horn.  Appears to be a good size horn. This is a horn in the Missouri Historical Society Museum in St. Louis. It was owned by William Clark;  Louie

Black Hand

Re: BULL BUFFALO HORN
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 08:33:46 PM »
I've often admired this particular horn. I hope to reproduce it one day....

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »
 Louie,
  Give these folks a call, tell them what size you are looking for and they will fix you up.

https://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/2208.html

Tim C.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:51:59 PM »
Tim thanks !  I will give them a try....LP

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 01:02:22 AM »
I love St Louis horns and have one that was done by the Sibleys.  It was based on a horn that was owned by Audubon & probably was engraved by Catlin.  The problem is that it's too darned pretty to use, though a little honest wear would probably give even more character.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 01:49:50 AM »
The OBVIOUS problem with that horn is that you would sit down, start looking at and admiring the horn, and not even notice a herd of deer walking past you.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 03:56:23 AM »
I believe Powerhorns and More has bison horns too.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
That is a fine looking horn.  I would like to have one of the St Louis horns.  Maybe Scott Sibley will come up with a couple for sale.
iloco

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 04:54:42 PM »
iloco I contacted Scott.   He said he recently had surgery and was sort of burned out on those horns after making several last year. I can sure understand that.  I haven't made a horn since the sixties but may give it a try.....LP

Offline iloco

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 04:59:47 PM »
iloco I contacted Scott.   He said he recently had surgery and was sort of burned out on those horns after making several last year. I can sure understand that.  I haven't made a horn since the sixties but may give it a try.....LP
Thanks louie.  I know I havent seen any new horns from him for a while.  Be sure and post a picdture if you make a St Louis Horn. 
iloco

Offline louieparker

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »
iloco It will certainly be a learning experience for me.. Might be something I don't want anyone to see. ;D  I recently completed a copy of one of Clarks rifles and though it would be nice to have a copy of his horn as well....Not sure how that will work out. Louie

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 06:27:19 PM »
 There is one other person you may want to check with,  Top of the Line Work:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=45669.msg448583#msg448583

Tim C.

Hope you don't mind Ron.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:29:54 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Longknife

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 06:42:21 PM »
iloco It will certainly be a learning experience for me.. Might be something I don't want anyone to see. ;D  I recently completed a copy of one of Clarks rifles and though it would be nice to have a copy of his horn as well....Not sure how that will work out. Louie

Louie, if there are no pics posted, then it didn't happen!!! But I know it did!! So lets see that Clark rifle!!!
Ed Hamberg

Offline louieparker

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:04 PM »
Tim thanks again.....I may just do that. Though in a weird sort of way I was looking forward to the challenge. But I really don't need another challenge..

Longknife   Believe me it happened.  I have no photos of the completed rifle yet. It may be awhile.. My wife usually takes my photos and she is not up to the task. I plan to take it to the Knoxville show next month,, Maybe I can talk someone there into to doing it.. I think at least two fellows will be taking photos.. Louie

PS> Longknife is responsible for me going down this Creamer path.. I was not aware of this until he sent me photos a few years ago. That rifle really got my attention. I couldn't believe that an iron mounted rifle like that had been so close to me and I not know of it.

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 12:14:15 PM »
Don’t mind at all Tim. I appreciate the atta boy.

Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
I saw the unfinished rifle of Louie's at the Princeton Longrifle show.
 The  Creamer is a screamer !!!
JIM

Offline Longknife

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 07:04:24 PM »
Louie, I already have the horn, go ahead and send me my rifle,,, no I'll come and get it, this afternoon OK ?...Ed

Ed Hamberg

Offline louieparker

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
Ed I may have to settle for one like that...
Today I got in two 14 inch horns..They looked like a tree that had been struck by lightning a couple of times with wood and bark hanging down all over them..I rasp and scraped a couple of hours on one of them and got it semi smooth. Then trimmed the ends and come out with a 13 inch  horn which is too short. I think it needs to finish at least 14 to get the proportions close to right...So I need at least a 15 inch and preferably a 16 inch raw horn. I got these out of Idaho.. I called Horns and More  and no luck.. Any ideas ?????????????   Louie

Offline louieparker

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »
I found horns that I an told are 15 inch...I hope they give me more finished length...LP

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:22 AM »
I found horns that I an told are 15 inch...I hope they give me more finished length...LP

I have found that proportion becomes a problem with larger Buff horns, as they get longer the base really increases, I have one here that is about 10 1/2" around the outside curve but almost 3" at the Butt. Their drastic curve makes them look even more out of proportion. I bought a few par from a Buffalo ranch here is Ohio a couple years ago but I cannot fin his contact info. 
 How long is the one that Ed posted?

Tim

Offline louieparker

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 01:08:59 AM »
I don't really know. But I doubt its 8 inches...I am not positive but I think his is plastic !. Don''t tell him I said that  !   But I suspect its from the  museum gift shop...I feel sure Ed will correct me if I am wrong.  ;D       LP

Offline louieparker

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 01:49:26 AM »
The finest St. Louis horn that I have ever seen and its in private hands, measures 15 inches long. Its an absolutely wonderful horn.. It still has the original beaded shoulder strap.. I must say when I saw this horn it certainly brought the GREED out in me..As a friend used to say, "I know you are not supposed to covet, but I sure would like to own that horn ! "     LP

Offline louieparker

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 05:27:04 AM »
Correction.....
The the horn I spoke of is actually 16 inches in length with a 3 3/8 butt width, LP

Offline iloco

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »
Correction.....
The the horn I spoke of is actually 16 inches in length with a 3 3/8 butt width, LP
Are there any pictures of this horn you talk about.
 There is something about these St Louis horns that I like very much.
iloco

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 05:26:17 PM »
Don’t mind at all Tim. I appreciate the atta boy.

Ron

Ron,
  I only know Two guys may be able to shed some light on this and your handy.

Thanks, Tim