Author Topic: BULL BUFFALO HORN  (Read 11562 times)

Offline louieparker

Re: BULL BUFFALO HORN
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 08:45:30 PM »
iloc0

If there is I don't know about them..

To give you an idea to compare sizes of these horns I am posting a photo of a horn you probably have seen before.. It measures 13 1/2 in length with a 3 1/2 butt...Louie

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:06:39 PM »
I have done a lot of searching and have come to conclusion there have not been many horns made in the style of the St Louis horns.
 They must have been made as gifts for important people like tomahawks were made for important Indian Chiefs.
iloco

Offline Longknife

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »
WOW LOUIE,,, accusing a guy of having a PLASTIC powder horn!!!!??? I don't know if we can be friends any more.....LOL...Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Carper

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 10:34:33 PM »
LP: one of if not the largest Bison herd in the state of Alaska resides on Kodiak Island.  Last year a combination of 50 bison and beefaloes were killed near the Baptist Mission by Brown Bears. This set of horns came from an ancient bull who due to his advanced age found himself on the losing end of one of those combats. I cut these horns from his carcass. These are the largest horns that I have seen on any bull in that herd. You can see the measuring tape along the bottom sets at about 14 3/4. The butts are not so gnarly requiring a large cuttoff. I feel a 14+ horn might be made from it.  I would be glad to give them to you if thought they would work for your project. JW

Offline louieparker

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 02:16:19 AM »
Carper I really appreciate your effort and offer on the horn. Its a far better looking horn than I received last week. I have two more coming from South Dakota..That are supposed to be longer. Let me see what I can do with these and I may take you up on that offer.Your horn has a better shape than the one I have now so it would make a better looking horn.    When I started this project I had no idea how big a horn I needed to get the look I wanted and I still don't.. Thats what happens when you don't know what you are doing.  If I have to make a stubby looking horn I will scrap the project. The last horn I posted  is 13 1/2 inches and the owner said it looked stubby and it don't have the rings and flats which I might make it look even more stubby ?

Thanks again......Louie

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 08:50:43 PM »
Bison horn is very difficult to work.  I made a big horn sometime in the last century that was at least 14" finished.  I spent five hours with a horseshoe rasp getting through the desperately hard and rough stuff near the butt.  But in the end, it was a spectacular horn for its sheer mass and high polish.  Another word of warning about bison horn:  when you use it, it will be susceptible to returning to it's hairy, grainy surface on the side facing the sun.  I have several raw horns in my stash, but don't have the guts to attack them...yet. Seeing these St. Louis style horns is inspiring, though.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 11:09:16 PM »
Louie, On those two that are not suitable for your project, I'll buy them if you have no use for them. I'd like to try my hand at one of those St. Louis horns. Let me know.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 12:41:59 AM »
Maybe it is just me, but I like the short/fat look of most bison horns.  They aren't cow, and never will be.  My friend Tim Crosby made a plain one for me that is 10.5" along the long side, and 3" at the base.  I think it looks neat, and very "bison" like.  I don't think Tim jumping to make any more though, as apparently they are a bear to work.  That strap is from Kris Polizzi.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 04:46:01 AM »
Good looking horn, Marc. I’ve been playing around with an inkle loom, but haven’t made anything but fairly simple straps so far...those are really nice!  Is the bag buffalo hide as well? 

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline louieparker

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 04:50:21 AM »
Robby , Send me a pm with your mailing address . I will send you a horn...Louie

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 06:40:56 AM »
Can anyone say if woods buffalo horns tend to be longer and slimmer?  I seem to recall some differences, but do not remember what.

Richard.

Offline jaeren

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
Can anyone say if woods buffalo horns tend to be longer and slimmer?  I seem to recall some differences, but do not remember what.

Richard.

A few years ago I saw a man at a show who collected what he said was horns made from eastern bison. Found the first by accident and then searched for others. In the light they looked brown. Most he said he found in the new england  states. Just where I don't remember. They sure looked different than the present day bison horns I see now.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 06:01:04 AM »
That's interesting Jaeren,  I wonder if they went brown with age? Also I  Wonder if he dug them out of a lick or if they were just found in old estate sales.

The wood buffalo is a separate species, but  will have to look it up.  I can also ask a mate as he has some, come to think of it!
I have  a few horns kicking about, but some are so knarly and thick with V heavy ribbing inside, that they would be  a bears granddad to work on.

Have one half made I should finish though, but don't really like the fast taper when holding it.

Offline jaeren

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 03:26:58 PM »
That's interesting Jaeren,  I wonder if they went brown with age? Also I  Wonder if he dug them out of a lick or if they were just found in old estate sales.

The wood buffalo is a separate species, but  will have to look it up.  I can also ask a mate as he has some, come to think of it!
I have  a few horns kicking about, but some are so knarly and thick with V heavy ribbing inside, that they would be  a bears granddad to work on.

Have one half made I should finish though, but don't really like the fast taper when holding it.
I think he found them in estate sales, and barn sales , I might be wrong. But they didn't look as though he had to clean them. But since he found them in different place I would imagine the color was natural.
 Also saw a piece on a fellow who was trying to reproduce the woods or eastern bison. He was using European and north american bison.  If I remember correctly he was in Canada.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »
Jaeren,

Thank you for the reply.

That's interesting about the bison.
Can probably be done.
I know they bred back the Aurox, by using British white park, Longhorn and such, and breeding the "throwbacks" together.
Had a herd in Poland.
When foot and mouth disease (hoof and mouth to some) went through the area, it didn't touch the "Aurox" !

Please pardon the OT,....but an aurox horn would make a dandy powder-horn.  :-)

Offline louieparker

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »
I don't believe this horn had been shown in photos.. At least I and a few others who are interested in these horns had not seen it.  Its been in the same family since the early nineteen fifties. Went from father to son. It has 3 1/4 inch butt and measures 14 inches on the out side curve. The butt plug is domed, rising about 3/16 on an inch. Has a total of 88 bone and horn inserts. You can see by the butt cap that it has survived without being cleaned.

As far history of this horn, little is known. It was acquired with a swivel breech rifle from a fellow in Missouri..The father let the swivel get away, but kept the horn... Louie

Offline iloco

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 07:01:42 PM »
Nice horn. Lot work went into the making of the horn.  I like it.
iloco

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »
Robby , Send me a pm with your mailing address . I will send you a horn...Louie

I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

Tim

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 09:45:55 PM »
 Grand horn! I can appreciate the workmanship. Thanks for posting it.There is so much stuff out there that we have not seen, not to mention the pieces that have not even been found yet. Every time I see an old overgrown abandon house or barn I can't help but wonder what's in there.
 Then again I do the same thing every time I see a good looking stream/pond/lake/river thinking about the fish in there that need to be caught :)

Tim
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:10:37 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline louieparker

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 11:53:13 PM »
Robby I mailed you a horn yesterday...LP

Offline jaeren

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2018, 12:13:52 AM »
Jaeren,

Thank you for the reply.

That's interesting about the bison.
Can probably be done.
I know they bred back the Aurox, by using British white park, Longhorn and such, and breeding the "throwbacks" together.
Had a herd in Poland.
When foot and mouth disease (hoof and mouth to some) went through the area, it didn't touch the "Aurox" !

Please pardon the OT,....but an aurox horn would make a dandy powder-horn.  :-)

Well guess I'm a little behind the times. The below URL tells the eastern bison was larger than its western cousin. A herd has been released into the wild.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2015/03/23/wood-bison-u-s-return/#.WrLHxKjwYdU

Offline iloco

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2018, 12:31:27 AM »
I may be wrong but have read somewhere that the buffalo of Daniel Boones time in Kentuckey were a smaller buffalo than the Western Buffalo. Correct me if I am wrong.
Those Wood Bison sure are huge animals.
iloco

Offline jaeren

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2018, 01:26:17 AM »
after reading a few articles about the reintroduction of the eastern bison they are larger and were found throughout the eastern US. I too thought they were smaller than the western bison.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2018, 04:30:17 AM »
LOUIE, THAT “FATHER/SON” HORN IS FANTASTIC! Although I almost worship William Clark, I like the F/S horn better than his which you showed at the top of this thread. The patination is wonderful. It is remarkable that the father and son resisted cleaning it. I hope the next sons down the line will respect it as much. Thanks for letting us see the photos. I hope you are going to find a good enough horn to make one of those to go with your new Clark/Creamer rifle.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2018, 04:31:16 AM »
Very much appreciated Louie!!!! Mighty impressive horn you posted. I'm inspired!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln