Author Topic: Unknown Maker .45 cal Rifle  (Read 3289 times)

Cajun72

Unknown Maker .45 cal Rifle
« on: March 09, 2018, 06:46:57 AM »
Well this my first Longrifle that I acquired about a month ago at a Mountain Man Expo near me.  I just wanted something plain, with iron furniture in .45 caliber, for my first rifle, nothing factory made. This is what I know so far, unknown maker from Monroe, Wa, made in the 70's? Overall length is 60 inches, with a 44" GR Douglas Barrel in .45 caliber, its 13/16" ATF, its a little nose heavy. Set triggers and maybe a Late Ketland Lock? not sure on that one. Shoots pretty good. Nothing fancy but works for me.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:54:31 AM by Cajun72 »

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Unknown Maker .45 cal Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:15:56 AM »
Looks like a really great way to get started. All good parts. Get out there and burn a bunch of power. You two will be in sync before you know it. There are still a lot of guys out there who swear by those Douglas barrels. I wish they were still in the muzzle loading business. Good going!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
I am glad you got a rifle to have fun with.  Go forth and enjoy!

The Douglas barrels have a reputation for accuracy. 

The builder did something a little odd in that he oriented the barrel maker's stamp on the top flat.  Most builders put that on the bottom.  No harm done as far as accuracy, as the runout is fine with the stamp up or down.  It is just when the stamp is not on the top or the bottom that you get issues. 

I hope you have many years of enjoyment with that one, and make sure and pass along the fun with others. 

Best wishes and God Bless,  Marc

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
Call Jim or Barbie Chambers and see when that late Ketland made its appearance as
a market item.I don't think it was in the late 70's.

Bob Roller

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 06:08:20 PM »
I was thinking the same Bob.  I think it is a more recent rifle (nothing wrong with that) made with an earlier Douglas barrel.  Best wishes,   Marc

Cajun72

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »
Appreciate all the input, I contacted Jim Chambers, about the lock. Updated information on the lock from Jim.

Yes, that is one of our Late Ketland locks.  I can't remember exactly when we started making that model, but it's been at least 15 or 20 years ago.  With the large cock on your lock I can tell it is one of our early ones.
Jim C.

Ok so now I have a time frame to go on somewhat. I like it regardless. I a decent shooter and plain, Like I like them.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:12:08 PM by Cajun72 »

Offline smoothy

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
What is on the butt end? Looks like maybe bone or antler. Is there also any metal at this end? I have a similar rifle with the same triggerguard. Without being too crass, I was just interested how it was finished in this area. Maybe another picture?

Cajun72

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 07:31:14 PM »
Its a piece of deer antler, no metal on buttstock. Will take a few more photos and post them shortly

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 02:16:40 AM »
Very nice.  Plain, but elegant.  Should shoot really well, too.   My mid-70s Kemper has a .45 Douglas barrel, and it shoots great when I do my part.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:41:57 PM »
Douglas was going to shut down the muzzle loading end of the business and
that blown barrel was the straw that broke the camel's back.A long time
employee told be the cheapskate attitude of that time regarding anything to
do with a muzzle loader was the reason to start the shut down. About the
same time I connected with the German Schuetzenbund black powder guys
and started sending most of what I was doing to Mayen and Trimbs and no
problems with griping over $2 from them.

Bob Roller