Author Topic: Three Wooden Cantees  (Read 4360 times)

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Three Wooden Cantees
« on: March 10, 2018, 06:44:01 PM »
 Back on Feb 11th Fiftyfour asked if anyone had ever made a Wooden Canteen, I had not but thought I would give it a try, couldn't be but so hard. I have this thing that I can't start just one of anything so I decided to make Two, well that let to Three since I had some spare pieces. I basically followed the directions of a fellow who calls himself "The Cajun Cooper" on U-Tube. Sounds simple but these things were extremely time consuming based on the process and the steps involved, multiply that by Three.
 They are made up of 18 Pine staves each, for the sides I split a piece of 6 X3/4" pine, glued up to make an 8" square, planned down to 1/4" and cut the sides from them. The staves each have a 10 deg bevel on each edge, a 1/4" Rabbet is cut in each end for the sides. The center of each stave was cut out with a band saw and sanded to lighten and make a bit more space. The Spout was rounded on the bottom to fit the outside curve of the canteen and is attached with glue and Four wooden pegs.
 Two of them are fitted with Wooden bands, what a pain in the butt to make. I built a steamer and probably went through enough attempts to bend strips to fit 10 canteens, quite a learning experience. One set is made from Maple and the other from Hickory. Forty years or so ago I made dozens of Bentwood Boxes using Maple, Hickory and White Oak, the wider pieces bent easier than the narrow bands, the Oak was the best but I could not find any here, well I probably could have but I used what I had, didn't want to take more time. Anyway...I got some good bands (See a couple failures in last Pic) made and fitted they are held in place by the tacks that hold the strap keepers in place. I decided I would do one with metal bands but could not find the right material. Used to able to pick up strapping from any lumber yard but the all use plastic now it seems. So...I took a worn out 1/2" Band saw blade, cut it to size ground the teeth off, annealed it and it turned out pretty good. The bands are held together with One Copper rivet each and were tapped on and held with tacks as the Wooden one are.
 Had a piece of Cotton webbing that I tried as a strap but am not happy with it, so I need to decide what to do about straps.
 What really put the "Icing on the Cake" was when I looked them up and found them on Flea Bay for 42 bucks, 42 bucks, nobody in their right mind would make these and sell them for 42 bucks.
 Oh and they are lined with a Two part resin, very time consuming but effective.

Tim C. 

« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 04:19:38 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Three Wooden Cantees
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »
Tim,
Nicely done but listening to you tell about how you made them brings up memories of a saying that has something about glutton and punishment :D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

n stephenson

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 06:59:43 PM »
Tim, Nice Work!! I made one years ago , and it was the first and last. I like how you painted them , they are nice. Your little buddy in the background , looks like he`s bored with wooden canteens!! or, he`s mad because you didn't make him one!   Nate

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »
If idle hands are the devil’s workshop you must be a saint by now!  I like that blue one the best.  Have you thought about capturing the cork somehow with a string or thong?
Andover, Vermont

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 08:23:09 PM »
Brewers pitch is the traditional material used to seal up barrels, canteens, churns, and firkins, made of wood. It is also used to seal up jacked leather items used to carry liguids. It also make a gourd that is used as a canteen a lot easier to live with.

Hungry Horse

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »
Tim, those are really neat!  My dad used to make some small ornamental buckets out of red cedar, but we never tried t make any of them watertight.

How wide/long of a strap do you reckon you need?  I have this inkle loom sitting here idle... ;)

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 09:55:18 PM »
nobody in their right mind would make these and sell them for 42 bucks.

Anybody dumb emough to sell a hand made wooden canteen for $42 is dumb enough to build a longrifle and sell it for $2,000.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 10:23:20 PM »
Tim,
Nicely done but listening to you tell about how you made them brings up memories of a saying that has something about glutton and punishment :D
Dennis

Thanks. What it brings to my mind is the point of diminishing returns:)

Tim

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 10:26:01 PM »
If idle hands are the devil’s workshop you must be a saint by now!  I like that blue one the best.  Have you thought about capturing the cork somehow with a string or thong?

Yes I have, just haven't gotten there yet. The corks are from wine bottles and have the makers mark on them so I will probably replace them.
 One thing I don't have is idle hands, I've got more projects and ideas than I will ever get to not to mention things like this that just pop-up.

Tim
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:34:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 10:27:42 PM »
Brewers pitch is the traditional material used to seal up barrels, canteens, churns, and firkins, made of wood. It is also used to seal up jacked leather items used to carry liguids. It also make a gourd that is used as a canteen a lot easier to live with.

Hungry Horse

I had thought of using it but the other stuff was available locally.

Tim

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »
Tim, those are really neat!  My dad used to make some small ornamental buckets out of red cedar, but we never tried t make any of them watertight.

How wide/long of a strap do you reckon you need?  I have this inkle loom sitting here idle... ;)

Greg

To get one to hang right on me it needs to be about 6' long but I'm thinking it should be adjustable. The one shown is 1 1/4", 2 would be pretty tight so probably 1 3/4s at the most.

Tim 

Offline PPatch

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 12:00:24 AM »
nobody in their right mind would make these and sell them for 42 bucks.

Anybody dumb emough to sell a hand made wooden canteen for $42 is dumb enough to build a longrifle and sell it for $2,000.

Best laugh I've had in a while! Too darned true. Thanks Jose.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »
Very nice, Tim.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 05:00:11 AM »
Hey Tim,  Do you have any hair left after pulling it out making these?

Hearing your trials on the phone sounded like my trials on strap staining.  Yikes. 

The good news.....they look great.  I like them all.  I think the grey one was an especially inspired color choice.  Did Carla pick the colors?   ;-)    The natural one gives the chance to see the work that went into it. 

Well done sir.  Well done indeed. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 04:04:35 PM »
 Thanks to all for the encouraging comments. On to some other time consuming project but hey, if they were simple it wouldn't be as much fun ;D

Tim

Offline 3 swans

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
Hey Tim, they look great. Could I order 50 ( just kidding ). my brother in law wants to have one for his long hunter theme, but I cannot find out how far they go back. I am looking for something starting 1730-1740 and goes from there. I could find info on your type maybe late F&I and Rev. War. Got any info on what may be pc for above time period. Thanks

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 01:06:24 AM »
Hey Tim, they look great. Could I order 50 ( just kidding ). my brother in law wants to have one for his long hunter theme, but I cannot find out how far they go back. I am looking for something starting 1730-1740 and goes from there. I could find info on your type maybe late F&I and Rev. War. Got any info on what may be pc for above time period. Thanks

50, I just got off the phone with a guy in China...just kidding.
 I did a Google search on French and Indian war canteens to see what they may have looked like and there were a few Pix but who really knows when they/those were used. Seems like everybody wants to have to oldest example of just about everything.
 Having said that, one thing I did notice was that the spout style I used seemed to be more prevalent than the turned round one on earlier examples. I am still trying to find a source that says the British called for metal bands early on. Here is a Pic of a cask that I have that came from my Great-Grandfathers farm in Ontario, he homesteaded there in 1865, built a Soddy (not rifle) to start with but who knows where it came from originally.   

Tim C.

PS: Just thought I throw one of my helpers in there.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 04:18:11 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 02:49:29 AM »
  Tim very nice work. You have a nack for making anything. An doing everything well...!
  Beats watching the idiot tube. Plus you have somehing to show for your efforts. Thanks for showing...Oldtravler

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
 ;D ;D.... OK, Tim, I enjoy reading all the posts and comments following, however I don't always comment,....However,... I must admit  you caught my attention with your Grandfather building a "SODDY" ,.... !!! ,,,, HaHaHA ,.... I admire your nice work,... keep posting,...Regards,  C C Fiddler .....

Spinner

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 04:34:40 AM »
Tim: I bought 1/2" x .025 (spring tempered) strip from McMaster Carr. The item number is 9074K33 and it comes in a 10' coil. Sounds like a lot but a band for a 6" dia. canteen is about 19". The strip can also be used for the strap guides.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:36:23 AM by Spinner »

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 02:23:14 PM »
 Thanks but I don't think I will be needing any more :)

Tim 

Offline J Henry

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 02:41:12 PM »
  Thing Tongue and Groove !

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 01:10:12 AM »
  Thing Tongue and Groove !

That's basically how the sides are fit to the staves.

Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 12:47:47 AM »
Are you saying those will be the LAST three you will be making?   ;-)