Author Topic: Brown bess sling ?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Bigmon

Brown bess sling ?
« on: March 11, 2018, 01:59:29 AM »
OK, got me a sling for my officers fusil / Bess, I guess they are about the same.
Cant seem to make sense of how to attach?
Does the pc with the buckle  lace to the muzzle end?? If so, then the tail of the other end will stick out in an awkward way toward the muzzle??

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Brown bess sling ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
On every British sling I've ever seen, the end that is tied on, is on the rear swivel.
Psalms 144

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
Thank you sir, but on this sling, both ends tie on??

Offline wormey

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
Harold Peterson`s book "The Book of the  Continental Soldier" shows the buckle at the upper end.  As far as I am concerned he is the authority on such matters. :)  Wormey

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:44:32 PM »
If anyone here would know, it would be Gus, who goes by the handle "Artificer." I haven't seen him here in quite awhile, but he is pretty active over on another board, so he is still alive and kicking. I bet he'd respond if you sent him a PM - he is listed on page 5 of the members list.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 03:22:54 AM »
If it's a 2 piece sling, the sling should be tied on so that the excess tag end would hang to the rear when in use. The buckle end tied to the front would cause the excess sling to flop around and be untidy, which would be a no-no back when armies prided themselves on their looks.
Psalms 144

Loyalist Dave

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »
A proper musket sling will have a single buckle, and two folded, meaning doubled back, ends.  At the ends there will be 8 holes.  The ends double -back so the holes meet.  You loop these ends over the sling swivels.  You need two leather thongs.  Now through the holes at each swivel goes one of the leather thongs.  Each sling swivel is near two pair of these holes.  You begin with second pair, not quite the closest pair to each swivel, and poke each end of the thong through the pair of holes closer to the buckle, pulling them through BUT you leave a small amount slack leaving a loop in the thong where it passes through those first two holes...then your two ends of the thong are on the other side of the sling.  So,  you poke the ends through the remaining two holes from that side, back to the beginning side, but crossing them as you go, so one goes / and the other goes \ and you end up with the thongs making an X on the side of the sling that is away from the stock.  Now the thong ends are back on the side of the sling where you left the loop in the thong at the beginning.  So you pass the ends of the thong through the loop, and tighten the loop as you take up any slack in the thongs.  Here's is a photo where you can see the end of the sling attached to the rear swivel.  http://www.re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=354  (click on the photo and it will enlarge and give you an idea what my cryptic instructions are trying to say  ;) ) When the sling is properly attached, and the  musket is upright, resting on it's butt plate, the end of the sling passes through the belt buckle and continues toward the ground. 

LD
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:31:13 PM by Loyalist Dave »