Author Topic: Early fowler  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Early fowler
« on: March 17, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »
This is all I have on this gun. I would appreciate opinions on it based on what little you can see. Hopefully later I can get more photos.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Early fowler
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 03:28:31 PM »
Sure is an exceptional piece of wood!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
This dont help ya none but I sure do like it
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 10:17:01 PM »
I'm as ignernt (Southern for "ignorant) concerning old guns as anybody.  But that is a fine looking one and that stock rules (millennial for "being very fine).
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MGillman

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:38:49 PM »
I'm as ignernt (Southern for "ignorant) concerning old guns as anybody.  But that is a fine looking one and that stock rules (millennial for "being very fine).

I think "rules" is even out for millennials. I haven't heard that in years. I am unfortunately lumped in to that millennial generation.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 12:14:33 AM »
Jeeze dudes, Rules was a 70's thing!  8)

John  ;D
John Robbins

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 02:12:31 AM »
You have been beating the bushes lately!!! Nice one you have found, great piece of wood and what looks to be an interesting trigger. Thanks for sharing!

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
Nice find, the moon and star inlays in the butt stock are in an unusual place. Are the inlays engraved? Do the inlays appear to be original work?
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 04:07:06 PM »
Sleek architecture. Close ups please of lock, sideplate, tang, top of buttplate.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bill Wilde

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 02:30:15 PM »
Beautiful, graceful fowler. Could it be for sale?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 05:20:26 PM »
Beautiful, graceful fowler. Could it be for sale?
    This isn't a sale post, but PM me.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
Really awesome piece of wood.  I kind of suspect the two inlays on the butt were probably (much) later additions, but it's impossible to tell much from those photos.  I don't think it's that 'early' but we all have a different definition of exactly what constitutes early.  Just looking at what I can see of the side plate, I suspect late 18th century at the very earliest and perhaps even into first decade of the 19th.  Wood like to see more.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »
Somewhat unrelated question...what differentiates a "musket" from a "fowler"?  Accommodation for a bayonet and maybe a sling?  Regardless, yeah, interesting fowler and indeed an outstanding piece of wood!

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 04:40:54 AM »
I hope to have more photos next week. Eric is right on timeframe. Early to me