Author Topic: First gun building class for 2018 is underway (update 3/13/18)  (Read 2402 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
I have three students in the first class of 2018. In this class everyone is starting from a blank. This is a 9 day class and the goal is to get as much done in those 9 days as possible. So far the class is going along at a good pace and the guys have made good progress. The students are Richard Allen and Bob and Paul McDonald. This will be Richard's 3rd class with me. He took the Kit build class in which he put together on of Jim Chamber's York kits together. He took the carving class next and then went home and did an excellent carving the York kit he built in the first class.

This is Bob and Paul's second class. In the first class they each built one of Jack Garner's kits and they both finished their rifles at home and did a great job them.

All three wanted to take the next step in learning to build a rifle and talked me into starting from a blank, so here we are today.

Richard started with a walnut blank. This was a blank that I cut from a walnut slab that I got from Ricky Richie probably about 15 years ago. Richard had to inlet his barrel by hand and did a fabulous job of it.

Paul started with a Curly Maple blank that I cut from a slab that I got from southern Indiana a couple of years ago. This blank has very fine and consistent curl in it.

Bob's blank is a piece of Freddy Harrison's maple that I have had for several years. This blank does not have a lot of figure but is as hard as any maple I have ever used.

Bob and Paul both sent their blanks to Jack Garner to have the barrels inlet and the ram rod grooves cut but not drilled. We drilled the ram rod holes in class.

Richard is making a Tulle, Bob is making a Issac Haines and Paul is making a copy of my John Bull rifle.

Here are a few pictures of the class and I will update with more pictures as the class progresses.

Jim Parker

Here are a few update photo's

There guys are fitting pipes, making pipes and drilling lock bolts. If we finish all of the pipes and get the barrel lugs drilled and lock bolt and tang bolts drilled I hope to get the white lightning liners installed before we shut down for the day.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:27:44 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline flinchrocket

Re: First gun building class for 2018 is underway
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 07:20:28 PM »
I think it's great that these gentlemen wanted to start from a blank. The best way to learn is from a blank with a knowledgable person to guide you along. I wish them good success. The pictures so far speak for themselves.

n stephenson

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 07:39:17 PM »
Jim, Looks like you have them all headed in the right direction. Good Job!!  Also looks like everyone is enjoying themselves. Nate

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 10:32:20 PM »
 ;) ;)... Good to see you boys engaged in honourable endeavor ... !!!  ... would recognize Richard's hat anywhere,.. !! ,,, keep posting pix of progress ......

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 12:24:58 AM »
 Thanks for posting the Pix Jim and hosting the class, Good Stuff. What size B saw are they using there, seems to be a popular topic right now, May give some folks some helpful idea on what can be done.

Thanks, Tim

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 12:35:38 AM »
;) ;)... Good to see you boys engaged in honourable endeavor ... !!!  ... would recognize Richard's hat anywhere,.. !! ,,, keep posting pix of progress ......

And the ribbon on it.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 03:02:57 AM »
Tim here are the spec's on my band saw. It is plenty powerful for gun stock blanks. I have cut 4" stock with no problems.

Jim

how to upload photos to the internet
Jim Parker

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 04:18:56 AM »
Looks like a good time is being had by all.  Looking forward to seeing photos as things progress.
David

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 04:44:03 AM »
Those gents appear to know they are blessed to be learning from a great builder and teacher.   Go Jim!

Best wishes,   Marc

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 06:26:35 AM »
Jim
looking forward to seeing the Bull rifle. Did you get the coal you were looking for?
V/R
Todd

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 07:13:32 AM »
Looks like a great class!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 03:53:58 PM »
Thanks guys. We are having a great time in the class and I will be posting a few more pictures of the progress later today or in the morning.

Tod I did get up to Ashton's to pick up the coal. I got 400 lbs so that should last me for a while but I still want to split a pallet with you. How is your class going?
Jim Parker

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:37:06 AM »
Glad you were able to get the coal, I will contact you about the skid of coal. 
The class went great, a lot of good looking hawks and hatchets made by a great group of gentlemen.
Good looking start to those guns. 

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: First gun building class for 2018 is underway (update 3/13/18)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 05:29:05 PM »
I added a few progress pictures of the class.
Jim Parker