Author Topic: Bottom of the lock area  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Mauser06

Bottom of the lock area
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
Working on my Beck precarve turkey gun.

I still left the lock panels a bit lean right now...

But I'm not happy with the area around the front of the trigger guard. Just looks too thick...the trigger guard too low. 

Only thing I can think of is keep working it down...then sink the trigger deeper and file the trigger bar down and re-inlet the front of the trigger guard for the 3rd time lol.  Learning as I go.  I haven't pinned the trigger guard so that's no big deal...

Any other suggestions?   Trigger is in and working...but if I deepen the notch for the trigger bar, I shouldn't have an issue sinking the trigger deeper..

I slimmed down the side plate area and worked on the tang area as well...I think that's looking good...still needs worked and blended out through the wrist.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:18:56 AM by Mauser06 »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Bottom of the lock area
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:58:53 AM »
Guard needs to be inlet clear to the bevel.  Will,then blend well, and won't look so thick.
It's really hard to tell about the lock moulding.  A little better lighting would help.
In His grip,

Dane

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »
Agree with Dane on the guard. The rest looks good.
Andover, Vermont

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »
How much wood can be removed below the TG depends on the wood thickness below the RR hole. On the LR shown below, the area below the 2 panels in nearly flat because the web at the breech is only 1/16"  thick and allowed a fair amount of wood thickness below the RR hole.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:48:54 PM by flehto »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
When you have determined how much wood lays along the bottom of your stock - below the rod hole - then you can remove as much as you dare on the bottom of the forestock...  3/32" - 1/8" is enough.  If your precarve measurement there doesn't allow removal of wood, you are stuck with it.  But reduce it to minimum, if you can.  And inlet the guard all the way.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:47:07 PM »
Thank again guys!

I had the guard inlet 3x now lol. Everytime I ended up rasping it off because that area wasn't looking good.

I didn't think I had much wood to work with in that area after measuring. But when inletting the front lug on the guard, I broke into it.  I do have some wood I can remove so that's what I will do. 

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:54:27 PM »
        You also need to bend the guard so the spur at the back of the bow sits against your trigger plate.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »
Working on my Beck precarve turkey gun.

Mauser06,

Is that the end of the breech plug tang I see?  That should be down in the wood.  Do you still need to bend it so if flows with the stock into the wrist?  Nice job on angling the wood down on either side of the tang.

-Ron
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:58:14 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »
Ron L,  I noticed the spur not sitting far enough down. I think sinking the front of the guard will take care of much of that.  I noticed that by looking at the pics I posted. Sometimes for me taking pics and reviewing them helps me catch things like that. In person, I didn't really notice.   

Ron, it sits flush. Just below the wood. I thought I had pics to post last night for this post but I didn't so I dropped the barrel in for the pics but didn't bolt it in. (I know the hole isn't centered....I measured my first 2 drill bits and it was spot on center. When enlarging, it wandered on me... constant reminder to drill a better hole. Lol)

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 05:10:09 AM »
As usual.....great advice.  I thinned it down and left about 1/8" of wood..looks much better. 

Will try to post pics when I'm done tonight.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »

Looks a lot better to my eye.  Need to finish cleaning the area up and shape the lock panels and re-inlet the trigger guard and pin it.

Lots of shaping left. I enjoy it. But it's one of those things for me where I gotta look at it with fresh eyes.  And ask for expert eyes (here) to look at. I'm starting to develop my eye for it though I feel.

Funny, I have a fully functional gun and it'll still be a while before it's actually finished.